Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

celticknot
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2015, 6:14 pm

The house I live in has West-facing windows in the living room/dining room area which means I feel miserable and headachey in the late afternoon, and light fixtures that make me feel miserable and headachey in the evening.

I have kids to take care of and I need to be in those places with adequate lighting for everyone else during those times. What can I do to make it easier for me?

We have blinds up under the curtains, but there's still stripes of bright light that come though when the sun is setting. Also, while the flush mount ceiling lights and hanging lights have frosted glass that completely covers the bulbs, it still feels like there's too much glare. Are there any other options out there? A Google search for "sensory lighting" only turns up toys and gimmicks for calming people. I just need to be able to function reasonably well doing everyday things if possible.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 6:19 pm

Sunglasses or tinted lenses dark/light enough for you.
Can't think of anything else, though there are probably better suggestions.

Crazyfool
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2015, 7:12 pm

I'm visually sensitive but it's only the light that's constantly changing, like pulsing or moving like headlights on traffic, or flickering florescent bulbs that bother to that level. Have using smaller watt bulbs with less light out put? maybe use those in place of the fixed bulbs and just use more of them? I really don't know other than what the other person said about sunglasses. That sounds tough, you can't just be in total darkness all the time.

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Aug 2015, 8:16 pm

I have a similar issue - I close the drapes for the afternoon sunset (tightly with no cracks) and only use minimal lighting with low wattage bulbs.