Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 12:39 pm

I stim by flapping/moving fingers back and forth (middle/ring finger) or then by putting my arms across my chest and swinging my body side to side, and i have restless legs. I also stim by touching things

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 12:42 pm

Flapping, rocking, chewing on a chewy shark, I have a tangle and a klixx and when sitting I bounce both my legs up and down or shake it, I move my toes a lot as well.

Crazyshy42
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2015, 2:39 pm

I crack, or attempt to crack, my knuckles, wrist, and ankles repeatedly. I try to avoid doing it in public though because it bothers some people.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 4:35 pm

Fidget with my hands, used to bite nails(not anymore), fidget with the laces on my hoodie or shorts, spin my smart phone around and around, bite my inner lips etc.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2015, 8:08 pm

Foot tapping/bouncing (a lot of this), rocking, light tooth grinding, gently hitting myself in the chest, pacing, etc.

ThomasL2

26 Aug 2015, 4:09 am

Bruxism (grinding teeth)

Also, rubbing the nails of my thumb and index finger together, creating grooves in each nail (both hands) - never heard of anyone else doing this - is it a thing? Is there a name for it?

Probably do some other stuff too that I'm not aware of? (I only just realized that the above behaviors could be "stimming" behavior typical of Aspies...)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 11:52 am

Lots of rocking.
Sliding my hands up and down my thighs.
Wringing my hands, twining and twisting my fingers together.

IndigoN
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2015, 12:08 pm

I bite my nails and crack my thumb joints mainly, though I do occasionally shake my legs or rock from side to side.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 2:29 pm

Leg rocking
walking in circles/wandering mindlessly in the house
hand flapping from wrist while slightly hopping
torso twisting
repeating words which slip into my mind and that I find interesting over and over; bamboo bamboo bambooooo
making weird loud noises
head rocking slightly from side to side
talking to myself using generalized phrases that might not fit the current situation
staring into my soul in the mirror while washing my hands
asking people the same questions over and over again, however not on the same occsaion but over the course of days, weeks, months, years (yes you read that right, years)
repeat songs in my head over and over
listen to the same song over and over
watch the same video multiple times
put one foot over the other on the inner side of the foot
spin in chair
make knuckles crack
put hands between legs, push together and rub for intense heat, then touch face or neck
throw ball against wall and catch repeatedly
repeat what people say in my head while they say it (2 second delay)
get immersed in ASMR videos
completely space out in social situations
stare into light
stay frozen while sitting down

all these lead me to get into a blissful state (warm feeling, joy, escape from reality) OR will lower anxiety.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 2:55 pm

Hand twirling, toe wiggling (constantly, no one can see ), finger and wrist cracking ( though the wrist thing may be related to the Valley Fever I caught @ 10 years ago ), chewing the inside of my mouth, picking underneath my fingernails, etc.

Peejay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm

Also rubbing knuckles of middle fingers of same hand together.
Crossing index & 2nd and also ring & pinkie so they rub over each other

Also toe crossing

Rubbing thumb knuckle against loose skin of index finger to kind of fold it over.
Generally I do these ones an equal number of times.... which could be a quest for `balance` ... OCD

Chewing the side of my tongue persistently. )often when concentrating....mum called it `chewing the cud` like a cow

I also get facial grimaces of top lip & eye stretching particularly when work stress is getting on top of me. I teach so I have to work hard to surpress them in front of my kids.

I these done these when more stressed since childhood not sure they are all ASD per se as they could equally be OCD & Anxiety disorders.... All harmless but I wish I could stop

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 3:28 pm

Generally it's the fairly typical pacing up and down, rocking and hand wringing, but I have rub my face quite vigorously if I think of an incident I'm embarrassed about, which will often be something that happened 20 years ago or more. I also pick at my scalp if I'm watching TV and give myself dandruff.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2015, 3:47 pm

Sharp objects. Thumbtacks, safety pins, the tips of pencils, etc... Things that pinch, like binder clips, work well for me to. I stick/clip my fintertips (or maybe my lips if I'm really worked up) about as hard as I can without breaking the skin.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 4:05 pm

I do a movement that's kind of hard to describe...I put the palms of my hands together and hit the sides of my index fingers against my face so my fingers come together. I also flick my fingers off my thumb, flap to hands, and occasionally rock side to side. When I'm on my laptop, I click and highlight things absentmindedly. I also pull my eyelids, mostly when lying in bed at night, but I think this is more of a bad habit rather than a true stim.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2015, 10:49 pm

With my hand whip back and forth rapidly a pencil, pen, screwdriver, hanger etc

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman