Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

TheCoolStoryBro
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2015, 5:38 pm

I'm feeling like beta 1.7.3 was pretty good because of the way underground caves were mapped out, and there's more enemies, and you can't sprint. I noticed that the caves in more recent versions are very tunnel-like and linear for the most part, and enemies are really uncommon, which is really annoying, because I like more challenge. I don't know, I can't remember what every version was like right now, but 1.7.3 beta seems like the best version that I have recently played.

What do you think is the best version of Minecraft?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 12:52 am

Enemy spawning and caves and such havent changed TOO much, actually....Might be time to try a different world seed, if it's doing that sort of thing to you often. Or change the parameters entirely, which is what I usually do. Worldgen is too flat otherwise by default, which is a problem people had with the game for a LONG time, up until the 1.8 update (the most recent full update). That might actually be the problem you're noticing; the worldgen engine wasnt changed in 1.8, but instead, the customizable presets were added, and they control *everything* about the worldgen. So while they didnt improve it, they made it so YOU can improve it... which is an even better solution. Heck, there's entire sites that have popped up where people can just upload presets they came up with that can generate all sorts of different types of worlds. You could even go so far as to make one that's JUST floating islands everywhere with a lava sea down below, or.... all sorts of other things.

Here: http://worldpresets.com/ Try messing around with that a bit, in 1.8... it might solve alot of your problems. Not to mention just allowing you to get the sort of world that gives you the best experience for your playstyle. I dont like super linear caves/areas myself either... they're boring, yeah? It's like, where's the fun of "exploring" if you're just running in a mostly straight line? I'm currently using one of those presets from that place myself for this. There's some pretty crazy ones on there. You need version 1.8 or higher to use any of these, of course. You can copy-paste the gibberish that comprises the settings from the site directly into the customization screen in-game.

Now, the real question though.... is what will people think when 1.9 comes out? It looks to be one of the biggest changes the game has ever had, changing the way combat works entirely. Among other things (the End HAS STUFF IN IT NOW, it's no longer JUST a boss arena; though you do have to defeat the dragon to access the areas of that dimension beyond that first island). Hell, the change to combat is heavy enough that, not being used to it, I keep dying to #@^(&*-ing skeletons over and over. I mean, granted, those jerks annoy me even at the best of time, but still. But yeah, if you havent seen or tried it yet... it's a big one. And they're just getting started. I think this is the update that will divide opinions the most, by far. I'm liking it well enough. Despite the skeletons and the fact that I find myself using a diamond AXE instead of a diamond SWORD right now, because the axe hits like a freight train. Though is slow. And then there's the hoe... but I'll not spoil it any further than that.

If it all goes well though, I think this new 1.9 update might end up being my favorite yet.

TheCoolStoryBro
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2015, 1:20 pm

Misery wrote:
Enemy spawning and caves and such havent changed TOO much, actually....Might be time to try a different world seed, if it's doing that sort of thing to you often. Or change the parameters entirely, which is what I usually do. Worldgen is too flat otherwise by default, which is a problem people had with the game for a LONG time, up until the 1.8 update (the most recent full update). That might actually be the problem you're noticing; the worldgen engine wasnt changed in 1.8, but instead, the customizable presets were added, and they control *everything* about the worldgen. So while they didnt improve it, they made it so YOU can improve it... which is an even better solution. Heck, there's entire sites that have popped up where people can just upload presets they came up with that can generate all sorts of different types of worlds. You could even go so far as to make one that's JUST floating islands everywhere with a lava sea down below, or.... all sorts of other things.

Here: http://worldpresets.com/ Try messing around with that a bit, in 1.8... it might solve alot of your problems. Not to mention just allowing you to get the sort of world that gives you the best experience for your playstyle. I dont like super linear caves/areas myself either... they're boring, yeah? It's like, where's the fun of "exploring" if you're just running in a mostly straight line? I'm currently using one of those presets from that place myself for this. There's some pretty crazy ones on there. You need version 1.8 or higher to use any of these, of course. You can copy-paste the gibberish that comprises the settings from the site directly into the customization screen in-game.

Now, the real question though.... is what will people think when 1.9 comes out? It looks to be one of the biggest changes the game has ever had, changing the way combat works entirely. Among other things (the End HAS STUFF IN IT NOW, it's no longer JUST a boss arena; though you do have to defeat the dragon to access the areas of that dimension beyond that first island). Hell, the change to combat is heavy enough that, not being used to it, I keep dying to #@^(&*-ing skeletons over and over. I mean, granted, those jerks annoy me even at the best of time, but still. But yeah, if you havent seen or tried it yet... it's a big one. And they're just getting started. I think this is the update that will divide opinions the most, by far. I'm liking it well enough. Despite the skeletons and the fact that I find myself using a diamond AXE instead of a diamond SWORD right now, because the axe hits like a freight train. Though is slow. And then there's the hoe... but I'll not spoil it any further than that.

If it all goes well though, I think this new 1.9 update might end up being my favorite yet.

Every time I have a new world created, there are rarely any enemies anywhere ever, except for in 1.7.3 Beta that I played recently. Isn't the world seed different every time you have a new world created? The only good thing about the linear tunnel caves is wondering if they will lead to a dead end or a crossroad leading to other linear tunnels... and then that boredom on top of almost no enemies ever spawning.

I heard that the lack of hostile mobs is some sort of bug. Also, ever since version 1.8, I noticed that sometimes I hit an enemy, and they lose interest and walk away for a few seconds sometimes. And, not that this matters much, but tall grass always turns into a peony when you break the lower tall grass block.

So if I customize the world gen, I can make more enemies spawn?! This would be amazing... Thanks for the advice! I haven't messed with that stuff yet. Would also be interesting to make all the ores a lot more rare, and make the terrain a lot more hostile. I feel like I'd rather make my own for some reason, but I will probably try something from the website you linked. Like I said before, I have some problems with picking out mods for some odd reason. Indecisive, I guess. I still haven't made any practical use of FTB, other than collecting random ores one time that I had no idea what to do with in some random mod compilation.

I played a little bit of the latest snapshots, but so far the enemies are still very scarce, making it far too easy. So far the combat isn't much different for me since I always did time my sword attacks like that anyway (I usually try to avoid button mashing). I imagine using a diamond axe would be a very effective use of the new combat system however. I'm guessing the hoe is really fast. I tend to prefer faster weapons. I haven't tried the shield yet since I haven't played enough to get some wool. I haven't been to the new end stage yet.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 12:37 am

TheCoolStoryBro wrote:
Misery wrote:

Every time I have a new world created, there are rarely any enemies anywhere ever, except for in 1.7.3 Beta that I played recently. Isn't the world seed different every time you have a new world created? The only good thing about the linear tunnel caves is wondering if they will lead to a dead end or a crossroad leading to other linear tunnels... and then that boredom on top of almost no enemies ever spawning.

I heard that the lack of hostile mobs is some sort of bug. Also, ever since version 1.8, I noticed that sometimes I hit an enemy, and they lose interest and walk away for a few seconds sometimes. And, not that this matters much, but tall grass always turns into a peony when you break the lower tall grass block.

So if I customize the world gen, I can make more enemies spawn?! This would be amazing... Thanks for the advice! I haven't messed with that stuff yet. Would also be interesting to make all the ores a lot more rare, and make the terrain a lot more hostile. I feel like I'd rather make my own for some reason, but I will probably try something from the website you linked. Like I said before, I have some problems with picking out mods for some odd reason. Indecisive, I guess. I still haven't made any practical use of FTB, other than collecting random ores one time that I had no idea what to do with in some random mod compilation.

I played a little bit of the latest snapshots, but so far the enemies are still very scarce, making it far too easy. So far the combat isn't much different for me since I always did time my sword attacks like that anyway (I usually try to avoid button mashing). I imagine using a diamond axe would be a very effective use of the new combat system however. I'm guessing the hoe is really fast. I tend to prefer faster weapons. I haven't tried the shield yet since I haven't played enough to get some wool. I haven't been to the new end stage yet.

No, you cant make more enemies spawn with the worldgen thing.... I'd just figured that a terrain change might affect how the game is placing them.

Now that I think about it though, it almost sounds like there might be memory issues or something; the game not spawning in more enemies because it doesnt think it can. Or something like that. The number of monsters roaming around hasnt changed a bit from the old days.... they should be just dotted all over the landscape on the surface. With witches added in now. The only thing that ever changed is the Nether, where Ghasts only spawn once every billion years or so, because people whined about difficulty. As opposed to every 5 seconds like when they first appeared...

But yeah, it should be dropping monsters all over the place. It does when I play it.

And enemies getting a bit weird after getting hit is a known problem. Mojang, much as I like them, cant bugtest to save their lives. At all. I mean, seriously, they're REALLY BAD AT IT. Bugs and problems tend to stick around for an annoying long time.

Now that all being said, if you're looking for something resembling a real challenge.... you'll not find it by default. The game got easier over time... sorta (it wasnt exactly hard to begin with) to please the masses (the usual reasons). If you want a true challenge... mods really are the only way to go. Not necessarily the big mod packs (which often DONT increase the difficulty, because items like hyper-powered rocket armor that lets you shoot deathrays out of your face doesnt exactly increase the challenge of combat), but often it's singular mods that will do that. Or adding specific mods to already-made modpacks, which is usually what I do. Just depends on what sort of challenge you're after exactly. Whatever it is, there's probably a way to do it, and it's probably not too hard to do/find. I can answer questions about that, if you should be interested and have any.

For example, the "Infernal Mobs" mod, one of my favorites. It uses an idea taken from Diablo-style games, in that when a hostile mob spawns, it has a chance of being an "infernal" version. Infernal mobs are the same mob, but with a variety of randomly chosen properties attached to them. And dramatically increased HP. An infernal creeper, for instance, may be able to A: summon spiderwebs at your feet, which does pretty much what you think it would, B: hit you with lightning or fireballs, C: teleport around like an Enderman (and teleporting creepers, well.... yeah), and D: damage your weapon as you strike with it, or even offer a chance to make you sort of "slip" and just outright drop the thing on the ground. Among a huge pile of other possible things the mod can assign to these guys. Note that I dont mean these are given one at a time, I mean they're attached all at once to one mob. So that creeper up there would have all of those abilities at the same time. There's 3 levels of infernal-ness, though even the most basic ones can be very dangerous. Depends on the mob type, too. An infernal zombie isnt too bad (relatively speaking). An infernal Guardian is a freaking nightmare, not to be messed with at all unless you're VERY buffed up. Guardians are horribly dangerous even in normal, vanilla Minecraft (at least, compared to everything else in the game0, let alone with crazy powers and huge amounts of HP.

So yeah, that's just one example. Stuff like that can really change the game up for the better and keep it interesting, without having to change too much. There's no ores or recipes or whatever introduced in that mod, for example. It's very focused. Most mods are; it's the modPACKS that tend to be a confusing mess.

TheCoolStoryBro
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2015, 1:16 am

Misery wrote:
TheCoolStoryBro wrote:
Misery wrote:

No, you cant make more enemies spawn with the worldgen thing.... I'd just figured that a terrain change might affect how the game is placing them.

Now that I think about it though, it almost sounds like there might be memory issues or something; the game not spawning in more enemies because it doesnt think it can. Or something like that. The number of monsters roaming around hasnt changed a bit from the old days.... they should be just dotted all over the landscape on the surface. With witches added in now. The only thing that ever changed is the Nether, where Ghasts only spawn once every billion years or so, because people whined about difficulty. As opposed to every 5 seconds like when they first appeared...

But yeah, it should be dropping monsters all over the place. It does when I play it.

And enemies getting a bit weird after getting hit is a known problem. Mojang, much as I like them, cant bugtest to save their lives. At all. I mean, seriously, they're REALLY BAD AT IT. Bugs and problems tend to stick around for an annoying long time.

Now that all being said, if you're looking for something resembling a real challenge.... you'll not find it by default. The game got easier over time... sorta (it wasnt exactly hard to begin with) to please the masses (the usual reasons). If you want a true challenge... mods really are the only way to go. Not necessarily the big mod packs (which often DONT increase the difficulty, because items like hyper-powered rocket armor that lets you shoot deathrays out of your face doesnt exactly increase the challenge of combat), but often it's singular mods that will do that. Or adding specific mods to already-made modpacks, which is usually what I do. Just depends on what sort of challenge you're after exactly. Whatever it is, there's probably a way to do it, and it's probably not too hard to do/find. I can answer questions about that, if you should be interested and have any.

For example, the "Infernal Mobs" mod, one of my favorites. It uses an idea taken from Diablo-style games, in that when a hostile mob spawns, it has a chance of being an "infernal" version. Infernal mobs are the same mob, but with a variety of randomly chosen properties attached to them. And dramatically increased HP. An infernal creeper, for instance, may be able to A: summon spiderwebs at your feet, which does pretty much what you think it would, B: hit you with lightning or fireballs, C: teleport around like an Enderman (and teleporting creepers, well.... yeah), and D: damage your weapon as you strike with it, or even offer a chance to make you sort of "slip" and just outright drop the thing on the ground. Among a huge pile of other possible things the mod can assign to these guys. Note that I dont mean these are given one at a time, I mean they're attached all at once to one mob. So that creeper up there would have all of those abilities at the same time. There's 3 levels of infernal-ness, though even the most basic ones can be very dangerous. Depends on the mob type, too. An infernal zombie isnt too bad (relatively speaking). An infernal Guardian is a freaking nightmare, not to be messed with at all unless you're VERY buffed up. Guardians are horribly dangerous even in normal, vanilla Minecraft (at least, compared to everything else in the game0, let alone with crazy powers and huge amounts of HP.

So yeah, that's just one example. Stuff like that can really change the game up for the better and keep it interesting, without having to change too much. There's no ores or recipes or whatever introduced in that mod, for example. It's very focused. Most mods are; it's the modPACKS that tend to be a confusing mess.

I get plenty of hostile mobs in 1.7.3 Beta, so I'm not sure if it would be memory problems on my hardware, but it could be a bug in their system I suppose. I wonder if it has something to do with Java. It didn't use to happen on the newer versions, it just started doing that like a month or two ago I think, and with pretty much everything newer than 1.7.3 Beta... although, I haven't tested all of the versions yet.

I tried Infernal Mobs, and there was one tough mob that killed me, and another that I ran from, but they were very rare, along with all the other hostile mobs still being very rare.

I found this: http://minecraft-is-too-easy.com/
But, I haven't tried it yet. I have a lot of trouble picking out mods usually. I guess I could say that the kind of challenge I want would be something of a barely surviving experience with barely any materials, many enemies and hostile confusing landscapes. I'm not sure how to go about finding that in mods, I've tried to and can't find anything.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 2:44 am

There isn't a best version.

Though the Xbox 360 and Xbox One have all the DLC packs and skins, while Windows version is second followed by the rest.
Obviously Microsoft owns Minecraft and gets first dips on new content on their platforms.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 3:49 am

xenocity wrote:

Though the Xbox 360 and Xbox One have all the DLC packs and skins, while Windows version is second followed by the rest.
Obviously Microsoft owns Minecraft and gets first dips on new content on their platforms.

Depends on what the "content" is.

The actual updates come to PC first (M$ does own Windows, after all); particularly the snapshots (which are what I'm playing now). The consoles dont get those, which is probably a smart idea; I cant imagine many players on the consoles going for those or liking them. The actual full updates though hit the PC first.

And of course mods and online minigames (the ones that use server plugins to change how things work without mods, which these days is MOST minigames; for example, one popular one is.... is.... name I cant remember, where you use a shovel that for some baffling reason shoots eggs, which destroy wool blocks that they hit, the idea being to drill the ground, which is a flat platform made of wool, from underneath opponents, sending them into the void) dont exist on the consoles. They cant.

Though, the biggest problems for me with the console versions: 1, the godawful nightmare controls from Hell. I mean, just.... I'll put it this way. I play the PC version with a controller (yes, I know, it doesnt support controllers. I bloody well force the usage of one ANYWAY, same as I do with most games). And I have quite possibly one of the most bloody STRANGE control schemes for it (for example, BOTH sticks, not just one, control the mouse, and thus the view/turning/whatever.... but one works at half the speed compared to the other), yet, compared to that, I find the console controls to be downright unusable much of the time. Of course, this one is just opinion.

But the worst of all is the size limits. The worlds on the consoles are VERY TINY. They dont even go past what I actually consider to be a SHORT distance. I hit the boundary almost immediately. And there's no point in bothering with a gate network (which is how the majority of my transportation works, once I have access to obsidian), since why would you need to? Hell, I dont think the gates in the console versions multiply distance travelled like they do in the PC version, though I could be wrong.

Also, lack of mods. Considering the monstrous size and scope of many of these, that's quite a blow to those that are interested in them.

DLC packs and skins arent necessary for the PC version though... if a skin exists on the consoles, it's been replicated on PC by someone (which, if you think about it, isnt hard at all considering the low resolution of all skins, and is free). Of course, quality will vary a bit depending on who makes it (some will be exact copies, others will be copies but with alterations), but... the main point is, there's about 5 billionty skins available to download for that. My own character looks like a bunch of blocks from the older Mario games on the NES all sewn together, because.... because.... because Mario. I couldnt resist that particular skin. ? block for a head!

The only skins that are harder to get are what I call the "shaped" ones; like the Daleks from the Dr. Who pack. Harder to get... but not impossible. They wouldnt be usable on (most) servers though.

Of course.... then we come to the DOWNSIDES of the PC version.

1. Windows. Of COURSE this is a downside.

2. Windows. It deserves 2 spots in this list.

3. HOLY GLITCHES, BATMAN. There are well more bugs on the PC version than on the console version. None of them are game-wrecking, they're typically pretty minor... but they are there nonetheless.

4. Setting up a server JUST for friends is annoying. Once you have it, it's easy to keep it up and running, but it's still very, very annoying to get working. Unless you pay for the Realms service.

5. In online play.... griefers. Of course, this depends on the TYPE of online play you're doing; they're ineffective in minigame servers, and nonexistent in locked servers that are friends only. But on servers that are full survival mode with a large community.... ho boy. You just better hope the server owner is backing up the world save. Frequently. I dont trust those servers one bit, myself.

6. Java. It's made in Java. MOST of the time, this isnt an issue, but every now and then... it suddenly is. And Java is a bit screwy.

7. It puts all of the installed files somewhere REALLY GODDAMN STUPID. You cant access it, most of the time, through normal Explorer. I have to bring up the command window (which most computer owners dont even know exists, let alone how to open it or what it's for), and type in "%appdata%", to access the directory that holds the Minecraft central installation. On many machines, there isnt really another way to access this folder. And you cant just tell the game to keep everything somewhere else, because derp.

There's other downsides.... and I'm good at finding downsides.... but you get the picture.

Much as I find the PC version better, sometimes my general disdain for the damn things really gets in the way of enjoying it.

Sorry, a bit rambly, but I'm really bored.

TheCoolStoryBro
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2015, 7:49 pm

Misery wrote:
xenocity wrote:

Depends on what the "content" is.

The actual updates come to PC first (M$ does own Windows, after all); particularly the snapshots (which are what I'm playing now). The consoles dont get those, which is probably a smart idea; I cant imagine many players on the consoles going for those or liking them. The actual full updates though hit the PC first.

And of course mods and online minigames (the ones that use server plugins to change how things work without mods, which these days is MOST minigames; for example, one popular one is.... is.... name I cant remember, where you use a shovel that for some baffling reason shoots eggs, which destroy wool blocks that they hit, the idea being to drill the ground, which is a flat platform made of wool, from underneath opponents, sending them into the void) dont exist on the consoles. They cant.

Though, the biggest problems for me with the console versions: 1, the godawful nightmare controls from Hell. I mean, just.... I'll put it this way. I play the PC version with a controller (yes, I know, it doesnt support controllers. I bloody well force the usage of one ANYWAY, same as I do with most games). And I have quite possibly one of the most bloody STRANGE control schemes for it (for example, BOTH sticks, not just one, control the mouse, and thus the view/turning/whatever.... but one works at half the speed compared to the other), yet, compared to that, I find the console controls to be downright unusable much of the time. Of course, this one is just opinion.

But the worst of all is the size limits. The worlds on the consoles are VERY TINY. They dont even go past what I actually consider to be a SHORT distance. I hit the boundary almost immediately. And there's no point in bothering with a gate network (which is how the majority of my transportation works, once I have access to obsidian), since why would you need to? Hell, I dont think the gates in the console versions multiply distance travelled like they do in the PC version, though I could be wrong.

Also, lack of mods. Considering the monstrous size and scope of many of these, that's quite a blow to those that are interested in them.

DLC packs and skins arent necessary for the PC version though... if a skin exists on the consoles, it's been replicated on PC by someone (which, if you think about it, isnt hard at all considering the low resolution of all skins, and is free). Of course, quality will vary a bit depending on who makes it (some will be exact copies, others will be copies but with alterations), but... the main point is, there's about 5 billionty skins available to download for that. My own character looks like a bunch of blocks from the older Mario games on the NES all sewn together, because.... because.... because Mario. I couldnt resist that particular skin. ? block for a head!

The only skins that are harder to get are what I call the "shaped" ones; like the Daleks from the Dr. Who pack. Harder to get... but not impossible. They wouldnt be usable on (most) servers though.

Of course.... then we come to the DOWNSIDES of the PC version.

1. Windows. Of COURSE this is a downside.

2. Windows. It deserves 2 spots in this list.

3. HOLY GLITCHES, BATMAN. There are well more bugs on the PC version than on the console version. None of them are game-wrecking, they're typically pretty minor... but they are there nonetheless.

4. Setting up a server JUST for friends is annoying. Once you have it, it's easy to keep it up and running, but it's still very, very annoying to get working. Unless you pay for the Realms service.

5. In online play.... griefers. Of course, this depends on the TYPE of online play you're doing; they're ineffective in minigame servers, and nonexistent in locked servers that are friends only. But on servers that are full survival mode with a large community.... ho boy. You just better hope the server owner is backing up the world save. Frequently. I dont trust those servers one bit, myself.

6. Java. It's made in Java. MOST of the time, this isnt an issue, but every now and then... it suddenly is. And Java is a bit screwy.

7. It puts all of the installed files somewhere REALLY GODDAMN STUPID. You cant access it, most of the time, through normal Explorer. I have to bring up the command window (which most computer owners dont even know exists, let alone how to open it or what it's for), and type in "%appdata%", to access the directory that holds the Minecraft central installation. On many machines, there isnt really another way to access this folder. And you cant just tell the game to keep everything somewhere else, because derp.

There's other downsides.... and I'm good at finding downsides.... but you get the picture.

Much as I find the PC version better, sometimes my general disdain for the damn things really gets in the way of enjoying it.

Sorry, a bit rambly, but I'm really bored.

Ha! Windows twice. Ikr.

Instead of typing %appdata% in Run, I go into Folder Options, click on the View Tab and click on Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives. Go to Local Disk > Users > [username] > AppData (is now visible) > Roaming > .minecraft

I tried versions 1.1 and 1.2.5 last night, and there are plenty of enemies in those versions.

Can you recommend me some mods? I just don't even know where to start. I've looked at sites and I don't even know.
I've tried a few texture packs, but I'm really picky about the art styles of some blocks meshing together, and I've used Optifine.

ZenWistalia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2015, 6:54 pm

I like the more recent versions ... more stuff in them than in past versions (somewhat obviously).

Also, it's funny because I've never had issues with windows, specifically windows 7.
Neither have I had major issues that some people have had. Like their minecraft crashes often, and/or it has to be reinstalled, etc...

I also like modpacks. Oooohhhh boy oh boy oh boy do I love microblocks and technical mods XD

-Ben

LordRikerQ
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2015, 7:58 pm

Personally, I really enjoy the windows 10 version. It feels more professionally made, and thus stable. Though it is also simplified which I imagine some hate, it doesn't bother me.

ZenWistalia

13 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm

LordRikerQ wrote:
Personally, I really enjoy the windows 10 version. It feels more professionally made, and thus stable. Though it is also simplified which I imagine some hate, it doesn't bother me.

Yeah, (not trying to get off topic here)
I haven't tried windows 10 yet, but from the screenshots I've seen, I don't like the way it looks. Dunno how it performs or "feels" xD
I personally dislike the sharp and bland (for lack of a better description) "modern" style UI ... long live windows Aero! XD

-Ben

xAppleYT
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Sep 2015, 1:16 am

PC ☺

I'm a geeky Minecraft player, I also play a few steam games aswell :P

Glad to help :D

Anyways, sub to me on youtube by clicking here! :D

#Grapple!

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 8:42 am

And now the most recent snapshot adds "trap horses".

They look like normal horses (though sometimes they start out skeletal), till you get too close. Then a bolt of lightning hits them, they split into 4 skeletal horses, each ridden by a skeleton. The skeletons all have at least a helmet on (which is always randomly enchanted), which means they dont burn up in the sun.They can also still have the usual random armor, and they always wield a bow that is also enchanted (which is bad!). They scale with the "world difficulty" as other things do.... the more days you've spent in the world, the more likely they are to have full armor and stronger enchantments.

Armored skeletons are nasty enough as is, really. But now.... on horseback? Just.... didnt expect that.

1.9 really is turning out superb so far. This just might end up being my favorite update.

ZenWistalia

18 Sep 2015, 9:18 am

Misery wrote:
...1.9 really is turning out superb so far. This just might end up being my favorite update.

Awesome, I can't wait to play it! :)

At the moment I'm going to wait until I get bored enough with Feed the Beast "Infinity", then I'll play the snapshots. (Or 1.9 itself if it has come out by then)

~Some FTB Infinity screenshots~

Main screen ... yes, this has 172 mods! (I removed "fastcraft", because it actually increases lag instead of decreasing it!):
http://puu.sh/kfy4W/3cb6916c0b.jpg

Yes, there are 107 pages in my NEI for items/blocks...:
http://puu.sh/kfynR/91d2c4a18c.jpg

Setting up my house in a "Lush swamp" biome. (Part of the Biomes 'O Plenty mod... I love this mod to death!):
http://puu.sh/kfyot/3aefbd9828.jpg
Don't worry, wait until you see my house when it's finished. It'll be much nicer ... no holes for windows, etc.. XD

This modpack nearly maxes out my computer ... I'm using about 7GB of 8GB of RAM XD
The game itself uses about 3.5GB of it ... LOL
http://puu.sh/kfyTM/59ba49766e.png
(Chrome uses like 1.75 to 2.75GB ... it's mostly because of my gmail tab. For some reason, Gmail has a memory leak/hogging bug. Over time it uses more and more memory ... it will go up to 2GB of memory! WTF?!)

( FYI, check out the program "puush" for screenshots. Press a hotkey, and bam! It uploads a screenshot to their servers so you can share with anyone on the web! :D )
-Ben

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 9:38 am

1.9, the full release, isnt likely to be out for.... quite some time. Mojang as usual is doing this at their usual slow pace.

The biggest change for absolutely every player though is going to be the way combat now works. No more click spamming, nope. A bit more to it than that now. It actually seems quite a bit harder as a result.

Also, skeletons are now EVEN MORE ANNOYING. Their AI has been updated...

Among like 5 bazillion other changes. I havent been to the "full" End areas yet myself, so aint seen all of that stuff yet.

But from what they've said, that's not even close to half of what they're putting in this one. Heck, a huge amount of the development time for this one up till now has been JUST the internal mechanics for the combat changes. Is why they took so blasted long to start putting out the snapshots again at all (they were supposed to start in January originally...).

So yeah, that full update is quite awhile off.

As for FTB, hm, it's been awhile for me. I forget just which one I'd been using the last time I played it. Well, okay, it hasnt been THAT long... I tend to go more for the exploration/combat/challenge stuffs rather than the technical stuff (which often produces OP things that I dont actually need much, not to mention is often a bit convoluted).

Most mods I've seen in a pack I think is just over 200. Dunno how the heck they get all them things working together without the game imploding.