Socks and toe seams, or clothing tags annoy you?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 11:50 am

Anyone else find that the toe seams in their socks drive them nuts? Or the tags on their t-shirts? I have always had to final special pairs of socks where the toe seam was moved from where it is usually located by the toe nail. I've cut the tags off of every shirt that I've ever owned because the sensory feeling just drove me mad.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 1:31 pm

Noca wrote:
Anyone else find that the toe seams in their socks drive them nuts? Or the tags on their t-shirts? I have always had to final special pairs of socks where the toe seam was moved from where it is usually located by the toe nail. I've cut the tags off of every shirt that I've ever owned because the sensory feeling just drove me mad.

Yes.

I have yet to hear an explanation of this hypersensitivity.

Anyone know of one?

cheryll
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Aug 2015, 1:44 pm

My son (Asperger's) is like this. It's part of his sensory processing disorder. From what I've read, this particular hypersensitivity is called Tactile dysfunction or defensiveness.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 2:56 pm

Most of my clothes have labels printed on the back instead of tags, but the seams on socks and even gloves make my toes and fingertips feel like they have something crawling under them, especially if they're too small or poorly fitting. Drives me crazy!

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 3:14 pm

Yeah.

Toe seams are not that bad - I can stand most of them when I wear just socks or socks + comfortable slippers. However I still have to switch socks before I wear normal shoes if I am wearing some socks with thick toe seam.

Yet I always cut off tags from my clothes and customize the sock ribbings by either cutting them off or cutting the seam that holds the ribbing layers together so the ribbling isn't so tight anymore. They make me extremely uncomfortable.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 4:31 pm

Kiriae wrote:
I always cut off tags from my clothes and customize the sock ribbings by either cutting them off or cutting the seam that holds the ribbing layers together so the ribbling isn't so tight anymore. They make me extremely uncomfortable.

Same here.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Aug 2015, 1:44 am

The seam on my socks doesn't bother me but tags on my shirts do so I cut them off & now I they're printed on.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 3:33 am

Oooh yes! Nowadays I can tolerate tags in my shirt but I still have lots where it's cut out.
Tight elastic sock bands WILL drive me nuts, still.

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2015, 6:57 am

I've had some t-shirts where the tag has annoyed me greatly while most haven't. I can't even see a difference as to why that is.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 7:19 am

...Some American underwear companies now make tagless underwear .

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 10:36 am

Noca wrote:

Absolutely. And people wonder why I don't wear socks...

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 1:35 pm

Noca wrote:

Yes, you have no idea how much toe seams bother me it makes me want to peel my face off and rip it to pieces. Tags don't bother me that much but if they are made out of certain substances or are too big then I can see myself getting annoyed. I also get annoyed by holes in my socks such that my feet touch the floor or the soul of my shoe.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

milksnake
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2015, 1:37 pm

Yeah, I am really weird when it comes to my toes, I can tolerate seams as long as they run along the very front of my toes, if my sock ends up crooked or the seams are in the wrong place it becomes extremely uncomfortable. I also absolutely cannot stand a hole in the front of the sock.

As for clothing tags, I am generally OK with neck tags (stiff ones cause the problem) because my scraggly hair has de- sentised the area, it was more of a problem when I was child and my parents kept my hair short (I've always hated brushing it) but if there is one at my midriff it will drive me mad and I will tear it out and re-sew the seam. Even the stump is too much.

It is very common for us to have problems with gentle touch and clothing tends to do that, I tend to choose heavy soft cotton and avoid anything that will bobble or get fuzzy from touching my bare skin.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 2:19 pm

I found some really good socks that have minimal toe seams that I like. They are a little pricey ( $16 for two pair ), but they last a lot longer than most others, so they actually are economical. And I definitely hate clothing tags, so I really like these Hanes tagless underwear.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 2:26 pm

I am the same. In terms of tags, I have one of those little thread cutters that you can slip under the stitching and litterally unstitch the tags from the shirt/pants/other sorts of clothing. As far as sock seams go, I wear both, my socks and underwear inside-out. The stitching on underwear is extremely bothersome to me, as well. Ive often thought of creating a line of socks and underwear, specifically for those with sensory issues. There should be entire shops for folks like us.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 11:22 pm

I wear diabetic socks, though I don't have diabetes.
They are excellent.
Regular socks are horrible.