Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nathaniel75
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 120
Location: Richland, WA

12 Sep 2015, 5:38 am

I know that a lot of people with serious emotional disorders tend to smoke. I'm wondering if any of that bleeds over to my fellow aspies. Are you a smoker? Have you tried to quit, and if so, what stopped you from being successful?



Ben_Is_My_Only_God
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2015
Posts: 345

12 Sep 2015, 5:51 am

I used to smoke and then I decided to give up. All it takes is simple will power, after a couple of days it gets easier and after a month you hardly ever think of the things. Now I have absolutely no desire to ever smoke again.


_________________
Whatever it is that you think that I'm thinking... you're wrong!

345 is a nice number on which to end.

Bimog And The Search For Pangea


Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2015
Posts: 3,450

12 Sep 2015, 6:04 am

Never smoked.
I hate it when I smell other people's smoke at the bus station.



Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,039
Location: Sweden

12 Sep 2015, 7:43 am

I have a very strong sense of smell, and a strong dislike for the smell of tobacco smoke. So no.


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2015
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 771

12 Sep 2015, 8:49 am

I smoke four to six cigarettes a day. Menthol only however.



Booyakasha
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: 6 Oct 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,876

12 Sep 2015, 10:16 am

I've now removed all the offending posts and replies to them in order to save this thread.


_________________
Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit.


Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,039
Location: Sweden

12 Sep 2015, 10:17 am

Booyakasha wrote:
I've now removed all the offending posts and replies to them in order to save this thread.


Aw, I worked hard on that response. :(


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


Booyakasha
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: 6 Oct 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,876

12 Sep 2015, 10:22 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Booyakasha wrote:
I've now removed all the offending posts and replies to them in order to save this thread.


Aw, I worked hard on that response. :(


I'm sorry :(

hard to please everyone. :/

if i left it, the bickering would continue.


_________________
Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit.


Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,039
Location: Sweden

12 Sep 2015, 10:27 am

Not your fault, you're just doing your job. :)


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


Booyakasha
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: 6 Oct 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,876

12 Sep 2015, 10:28 am

thanks :)


_________________
Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit.


beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,788
Location: nj

12 Sep 2015, 10:35 am

Ugh, wanted to put the internet tough guy in his place a little. But its for the best. What a douche...



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,367
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

12 Sep 2015, 10:43 am

^let me guess it was some troll jerk who came to tell anyone here who smokes how we're horrible, bad people that have no place on earth. :roll:


_________________
It's the end of the world as we know it.....and I feel fine(sarcasm for that last bit).


Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,039
Location: Sweden

12 Sep 2015, 10:49 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
^let me guess it was some troll jerk who came to tell anyone here who smokes how we're horrible, bad people that have no place on earth. :roll:

Almost exactly the reverse, actually.


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,788
Location: nj

12 Sep 2015, 10:50 am

However Now i can answer appropriately...

I used to smoke. Im not sure if I am technically AS, emotionally disturbed or both. Emotionally disturbed for certain.

At my peak I smoked 2-2.5 packs per day. I would "binge smoke". Id be a smoker for a year or two or three, then quit for like 6-8 months and back again. This cycle continued for roughly 16 years until I finally quit for primarily financial reasons. At which point,after my typical down time, I foolishly began smoking cigars and black and milds. BIG mistake. Of course being a cigarette smoker, I smoked them improperly. This combined with my years of cigarette smoking (probably the bong hits too to be honest) I have bad breathing difficulties today which I have every reason to believe are COPD or worse. Its no fun gasping for air after ascending a mere 10 stairs. Im overweight but not that bad. Old but not that old. This should not be the case.

If you have not smoked, do not start. Especially if you have an addictive personality as I do. I was only able to quit because, even though I was addicted, I really didn't like it all that much. It was all physical for me, the mental addiction was almost non-existent. Personally, for me a mental addiction is far harder to break than a physical one. But that's only my experience. Many can have the 2-4 a day and never have more. While not the best choice, I think there equally bad things that people do everyday.

It becomes a crutch and it's "calming" effect is a total lie. Smokers perceive this effect because its the two-fold result of quieting the bodies physical craving by giving it what it wants, and going to a familiar comfort zone when distressed. It also many times feels like it gives you a reason to "step away" while stressed when you could do that anyway.

Biologically it actually is an upper. Now it can, I suppose, for some, have an overstimulating effect similar to ADHD drugs, this I am unsure of. It does restrict blood flow, thus getting less oxygen to your muscles, organs and brain- thus making you more lethargic, cranky and irritable- thus not helping your stress at all. It only exacerbates it in the long run. I've found myself to have much more patience and better outburst damage control when not smoking.



beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,788
Location: nj

12 Sep 2015, 10:51 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
^let me guess it was some troll jerk who came to tell anyone here who smokes how we're horrible, bad people that have no place on earth. :roll:


yeah bro. Mr. hardcore 4 packs a day wanted to show how cool he was by threatening violence completely unprovoked. All cuz somone suggested that quitting was easy for them.