Tony Abbott ousted as Australian Prime Minister

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 7:44 am

Tony Abbott has tonight been ousted as Prime Minister of Australia, after being challenged for leadership of his party by fellow cabinet minister Malcolm Turnbull. As a result of their party vote, Malcolm Turnbull will become Australia's new prime minister, and will likely be sworn in tomorrow or the next few days.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/mal ... 7527262266

Abbott and his party have been suffering badly in the polls for more than a year now, so I can understand his party's apprehension with his leadership. Personally though ... as much as I couldn't stand Abbott as PM, this is the third time in 5–6 years that a sitting PM has been ousted by his/her own party, instead of by the public. It's also the fourth PM we've had in just over two years. This irritates me a lot about Australian politics right now.

That said, we'll see what kind of PM that Turnbull makes. Hopefully a more effective one than Abbott.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 8:55 pm

The first event in Australian politics which I recall being aware of was in late 1975, when Prime Minister Gough Whitlam was deposed not by the electorate, or his own party, but by The Queen of England's representative John Kerr. This was pretty controversial stuff.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 2:36 am

cheerio old boy. Back to the home country for you and join your mentor Li'l Johnny
Or to but it more succinctly good riddance...

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 1:47 pm

No wonder no one is listening to the outpouring of the worlds crisis.