Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

alleviate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2015, 8:54 am

Hi,

Has anyone here ever converted to Judaism, or even another religion? I was raised Methodist (Christian), but have a strong interest in Judaism and feel that its belief system lines up much better with my own than Christianity did. I am very interested in the conversion process and might start it soon. What were your experiences in converting to another religion and what tips do you have, especially for an autistic person? Thanks so much!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 6:03 pm

I've never converted to any religion.

My advice is for you to talk to a rabbi.

Converting to Judaism, surprisingly, is much harder than converting to something like the Baptist faith (where all you have to do is be baptized).

My mother is Jewish--so I'm lucky, should I want to become a practicing Jew.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 12:15 pm

Judaism has a ton of rules, it is difficult to be adherent. If you would prefer, Reform Judaism might be less complicated.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 1:21 pm

Even though I am Catholic, I've met a few followers of Judaism who have said that even though Judaism is very welcoming to new people, it would depend on who you talk to, so start by talking to a rabbi.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 3:55 pm

Judaism has a ton of rules, however Jewish people have workarounds. It is like working with a computer, a computer needs a set of knowledge to be used and deviations of this knowledge leads to errors, however you can find workarounds when you at least have enough knowledge of the computer. Look at Hasidic Jews: Put a line or wire around town in an enclosed circuit and g-d cannot see you get wasted and eat pork. xD That is how I at least got it from the Ultra Orthodox Jews.