Other 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 41

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 9:40 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
I say things like "so" and "la-la".

Mine is "no". I'm weird that way. I like the way it makes my throat feel. I also has echolalia and vocal tics.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 9:46 pm

i make up messed up words to motivate or entertain myself. gwahme for gimme. k-nick, k-nife for knife. yummers for the bubbers when i'm feeding my cat, bubba, etc.

catalina
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2015, 10:11 pm

sometimes i do weird noises when im anxious, more like a tic kind. Im not in the spectrum.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 11:20 pm

I'm unsure if I'm on the spectrum and will probably never get a diagnosis.

I like the sound of the way some people say things (in shows, movies, videos, etc.) and I repeat them to myself. There are a lot of lines from a show I recently re-watched that feel really good to hear and say. Probably the most common one is 'Tin-tin', which is one of the characters' nick name. When I'm stressed now I whisper 'tin-tin' over and over.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 4:28 pm

If sighing were a stim.....

I sometimes repeat phrases to myself, things I've heard from media sources, things other people have said, and things I've said. Sometimes this causes me to laugh to myself, which can get awkward when people notice it.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 4:49 pm

i do, but not very often. i stim in my head a lot though, if that makes sense?
vocally i do things that i can't hear in my thoughts, like making popping noises with my lips and clicking noises with my tongue.

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2015, 4:57 pm

Lately, I've caught myself saying OC-to-PUS, emphasizing the first and last syllables. This then follows with other words with an "oct-" prefix; OC-to-GON, OC-tane. It seems to have carried over from my octopus obsession.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 5:24 pm

I'm sure it's not stimming but I speak in animal language.. meow meow ..moo moo..cookadoodledo..chirp chirp.. from time to time. Most of the time it is chirp chirp chirp.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 5:35 pm

seaweed wrote:
i do, but not very often. i stim in my head a lot though, if that makes sense?
vocally i do things that i can't hear in my thoughts, like making popping noises with my lips and clicking noises with my tongue.

Oh my gosh THANK YOU!! !

I've always been exceedingly self conscious of my speaking patterns and voice and wondered why I *don't* vocally stim. I just mentioned it on another thread. But, I was raised in a very strict household & my mom has sensory issues including auditory, so I was not allowed to stim. By that I mean I was spanked & shamed for disobeying if I did verbally stim and I learned how to not do that final step of speaking out loud. The voice, the words are there in my head and it's horribly, terribly distracting. Song bits, repeated words, repeated 'sounds'. I can force it to stop when I need to for a short while but it's exhausting. The rest of the time it's like someone else is in there making noise, but I recognize it as me & my brain processes making it. It's *not* the same as say, having a song stuck in my head.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 8:00 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
Oh my gosh THANK YOU!! !

I've always been exceedingly self conscious of my speaking patterns and voice and wondered why I *don't* vocally stim. I just mentioned it on another thread. But, I was raised in a very strict household & my mom has sensory issues including auditory, so I was not allowed to stim. By that I mean I was spanked & shamed for disobeying if I did verbally stim and I learned how to not do that final step of speaking out loud. The voice, the words are there in my head and it's horribly, terribly distracting. Song bits, repeated words, repeated 'sounds'. I can force it to stop when I need to for a short while but it's exhausting. The rest of the time it's like someone else is in there making noise, but I recognize it as me & my brain processes making it. It's *not* the same as say, having a song stuck in my head.

that must have been tough :( i was never punished for doing aspie stuff but i'm really insecure of my speaking voice (probably because i had a speech impediment as a kid) and also of annoying other people. i have the same type of things loop in my head too! its mostly 2-3 words in sequence, 1-2 words of gibberish, fragments of songs, or short sound bits. i'm glad that someone else can relate.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 8:47 pm

seaweed wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
Oh my gosh THANK YOU!! !

that must have been tough :( i was never punished for doing aspie stuff but i'm really insecure of my speaking voice (probably because i had a speech impediment as a kid) and also of annoying other people. i have the same type of things loop in my head too! its mostly 2-3 words in sequence, 1-2 words of gibberish, fragments of songs, or short sound bits. i'm glad that someone else can relate.

I do this a little too.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 7:11 pm

I sometimes find myself speaking in tongues on the toilet

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2015, 8:28 pm

I used to, sort of a clearing my throat sound but a little more like "um-hum, um-hum." It was to get that sort of harsh or rubbing feeling at the back of my throat.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 11:49 am

I do that a lot. I also often say "ya´" many times in a row, as if settling something.

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2015, 11:55 am

Currently, it is not clear if I am on the spectrum or not, but I do vocally stim. I often will fantasize about certain things and then talk out the situation I am wishing would happen. Like I want to be a actor so I will pretend I am doing a interview or something.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 1:34 pm

I often repeat myself or spout random Japanese phrases I found by watching Anime or whisper fake curse words ['for the love of custard!' and oh, flan!' are my favourites] and sometimes say random Doctor Who quotations for no reason. I also make a weird clicking noise with my tongue and top teeth.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII