"A Brilliant Young Mind" film's lead character is autistic

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 11:12 am

The lead was a member of the 2006 British mathematics olympic team. Another member of the team is an aspie http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/movies/review-a-brilliant-young-mind-facing-infinite-obstacles.html?referrer=google_kp&_r=0http://www.avclub.com/review/brilliant-young-mind-rote-drama-about-autistic-tee-224980

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 11:43 am

http://www.avclub.com/review/brilliant-young-mind-rote-drama-about-autistic-tee-224980

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Sep 2015, 12:26 pm

interesting. I like Eddie Marsan

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 1:29 pm

Is that x+y? If so, I'm waiting for it to be on sky on demand before I can watch it.

It looks quite good though.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 4:26 pm

that was funny!
"You'll accomplish things in the future.
You haven't
You charming little bastard!"

:D :lol: :wink:

Although this is a nice divergence from the Rainman version of autism it still fails to look at not-high achieving autistics and I fear reenforces the "hang-banging non-verbal" or "Einstein" sort of dichotomy between autistic peoples ... *sigh* lots more ground to be covered! I'd like a whole CAST of autistic people in a movie (as in the people played are autistic of different stripes). Not everybody is some quirky maths/physics type person... :wink:

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 10:33 pm

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
that was funny!
"You'll accomplish things in the future.
You haven't
You charming little bastard!"

:D :lol: :wink:

Although this is a nice divergence from the Rainman version of autism it still fails to look at not-high achieving autistics and I fear reenforces the "hang-banging non-verbal" or "Einstein" sort of dichotomy between autistic peoples ... *sigh* lots more ground to be covered! I'd like a whole CAST of autistic people in a movie (as in the people played are autistic of different stripes). Not everybody is some quirky maths/physics type person... :wink:

Oh Goodness, it was better than I thought it would be, and it wasn't as focused on the "this kid is really awesome at mathematics look at how SMART autism makes you!" subject as I thought it would be. I actually really really enjoyed the portrayal of the other autistic kid Luke or whatever his name was(I'm terrible at remembering names)- he brought a lot of depth to the portrayal of the two autistic boys in the bit of screen time he had. It was short, but, wow, I was pleasantly surprised at how neat the narrative was and the different aspects or facets of autism they were able to cover.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 1:51 pm

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:

yeah... and i've also noticed you never see anyone on the spectrum in a zombie apocalypse. or in movies like 2012 (world disaster movies)...LOL

but hey...Asa Butterfield.. so i'm sold, i'll go see this movie.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 2:11 pm

I've seen a few trailers of 'X + Y', and although it isn't quite the same, stereotypical script as 'Rainman' (which was nonetheless very well acted), it tends to pursue the theme of the autistic savant yet again. Asa Butterfield is undoubtedly a fine actor and it's an excellent performance, yet they still trot out the platitudes: Someone says 'How do you do?' to him, and he answers 'How do I do what?' By 16 the majority of those with AS/HFA know what this means. And then there's the stuff about prime numbers. It's about time we moved on and produced some more realistic material about autism. But then, would that be as cute and glamorous as Asa Butterfield?

I was discussing this recently with a couple of young Aspien friends, who felt much the same. The stuff about 'how do you do' just made them laugh.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 4:45 pm

Hyperborean wrote:
I've seen a few trailers of 'X + Y', and although it isn't quite the same, stereotypical script as 'Rainman' (which was nonetheless very well acted), it tends to pursue the theme of the autistic savant yet again. Asa Butterfield is undoubtedly a fine actor and it's an excellent performance, yet they still trot out the platitudes: Someone says 'How do you do?' to him, and he answers 'How do I do what?' By 16 the majority of those with AS/HFA know what this means. And then there's the stuff about prime numbers. It's about time we moved on and produced some more realistic material about autism. But then, would that be as cute and glamorous as Asa Butterfield?

I was discussing this recently with a couple of young Aspien friends, who felt much the same. The stuff about 'how do you do' just made them laugh.
i like the savant

slave
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 8:18 pm

Watched the film.

The director made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTDcYi_uG08, I enjoyed the documentary more than the film.
I have watched the documentary 3x in full because I simply love brilliant Aspies and Mathematics.

I appreciate hearing of the film.
Thanks. :D

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 8:33 pm

I like that documentary. There is more than one person with autism on that film.

Jos is the more obvious type of autistic. He is blunt, extremely socially awkward, anti-social, rude, unaware that everyone there (quite literally) doesn't like him.

Daniel can blend in a bit more that's probably why he was diagnosed that late. He can get along (to some extent) with fellow team mates.

I glean that there were more in the Camp in Blugaria.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 8:37 pm

slave wrote:
Watched the film.

The director made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTDcYi_uG08, I enjoyed the documentary more than the film.
I have watched the documentary 3x in full because I simply love brilliant Aspies and Mathematics.

Film? You mean X+Y. Where can I watch that?

I know Daniel is the main character in the documentary (sort of). However Jos got far more screen time than Daniel.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 11:04 pm

Rudin wrote:
slave wrote:
Watched the film.

Film? You mean X+Y. Where can I watch that?

I know Daniel is the main character in the documentary (sort of). However Jos got far more screen time than Daniel.

I just watched it on putlocker:
(you can watch almost anything there)
http://putlocker.is/watch-a-brilliant-y ... ocker.html

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 11:35 pm

Hyperborean wrote:

Sometimes I'm not sure whether it is that I'm incredibly dull or just the autism, but with new people for whom I haven't built up a data-set for I am genuinely not sure whether they do literally mean "How do you do XYZ" or "How are you" from snippets like that- I might have misheard them... Although, generally it's quite obvious. :wink:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 11:02 pm

I have another documentary on the theme of Maths and ASD that I recommend, here it is for those so inclined.

Title:Growing Pains of a Teenage Genius

Subject: Cameron Thompson

"Cameron Thompson is a young man with Aspergers Syndrome and severe anxiety issues.

Going through school he was bullied and struggled to cope with everyday pressure but he was very good at Maths.

He was able to lose himself in mathematical study and this was his passion. At the age of 15 he was awarded a B.Sc (Hons) degree. When he turned 16 he went to the local 6th form college but quit after one day; he could not cope with the pressure and all the people. Focusing on further studies, Cameron began his Masters Degree and this became his whole life. He loves his maths and it lets him escape from his difficulties."
Source: above noted

Enjoy!...I know I did! :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

traven
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 12:21 am

just a young mind, lol (oldie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BAOfnCF64&index=25
The Growing Pains Of Adrian Mole.