What do you think of Donald Trump's comments on Muslims?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 3:55 am

Replace 'Muslim' by 'Jew' or 'Catholic' in the exchange and maybe some will understand why it all sounds wrong.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 5:24 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Replace 'Muslim' by 'Jew' or 'Catholic' in the exchange and maybe some will understand why it all sounds wrong.

No argument here.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 6:25 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Fourthly, being offended by something someone says, is ridiculous! How can something someone says, "make" or "break" someone else? Something someone says can't INvalidate another's being----NOR, can it validate another's being. It's the way one allows themselves to feel upon hearing the words, that is uplifting, or invalidating.

I think the whole concept of offence isn’t as much about being hurt by what someone says as it is about using your power to silence them and make them suffer for saying anything you don’t like. Let’s not forget “I’m offended” used to mean, “I’m willing to fight you to the death in order to suppress your view”. If you’re weaker than your opponent, you can still decide they’ve offended you and challenge them to a duel, but the odds are against you and, even if you might be regarded as a hero when they kill you, their ideas will prevail and yours will be the ones suppressed.

Ultimately, there’s no reason but force.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 11:47 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Fourthly, being offended by something someone says, is ridiculous! How can something someone says, "make" or "break" someone else? Something someone says can't INvalidate another's being----NOR, can it validate another's being. It's the way one allows themselves to feel upon hearing the words, that is uplifting, or invalidating.

I think the whole concept of offence isn’t as much about being hurt by what someone says as it is about using your power to silence them and make them suffer for saying anything you don’t like.

I agree! It's getting angry in defense of being hurt, and wanting someone else to hurt, IMO.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 1:14 pm

Trump is nothing more than an idiot who's making sure his supporters are blind to his views.

While everyone does have the right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression, Trump is just taking advantage of that right in order to make sure he gains more supporters.