Post things you do in a previous era that won't work today

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 2:58 pm

Please post whatever you can think of, what are some things that you can do that worked in the old days that won't work in today's world. I'm talking about any era from bronze age up til mid 20th century. I'll start: Back in the 18th century, secession of a state or country was feasible. It just wouldn't work in today's modern time.

Yeah, the 21st century may have cool technology, but it doesn't have everything.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 3:21 pm

Sell Radium tooth polish.

In a more general way, sell snake oil and seances on an overt large scale. For the same reasons, run a factory sweatshop employing anyone who shows up including children and provide nothing in the way of workplace safety. Please keep in mind that this is in the first world only...which is why so many corporations put their factories and mines in third world countries.

Slave keeping / being a slave is pretty much outlawed everywhere in this day, so that's another one.

Most recent secession I can think of is the Principality of Sealand in the late 1960's.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 11:20 am

Sacrificing a lamb, in your worship of God.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 11:59 am

Campin_Cat wrote:

you eat it after that
or you just eat it without respecting that a life is sacrificed for your needs , or desires.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 2:24 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:

From a quick web search, it would appear we are not as advanced a species as you assume.

Bali in Hinduism is an animal sacrifice rite mostly practised by the devotees of Shakti. Illegal in India but still practiced.

Some Christian sects perform animal sacrifices to their Saints, to atone and to give thanks. Examples:

Catholics, Greek Orthodox and other Christians at the ruined Byzantine church of Saint George in the village of Taybeh, 20 miles from Jerusalem sacrifice around 70 to 80 lambs each year. Similar sacrifices are also made in the towns of Lodd, Jaffa, al-Khadar and elsewhere in the Holy Land.

The Armenian Orthodox Church has practiced animal sacrifice since its inception in 301 AD and still does until this day. It is referred to as Matagh.

Georgian (the country) Christians also occasionally perform animal sacrifices.

The Ministers of the New Covenant Christian Church in Conyers, Georgia (the state), USA (Pastor Matthew Janzen) participates in the sacrifice of lambs or goats before the Masters Supper during Passover. Children are encouraged to participate in the slaughter.

Followers of Islam who take the holy pilgrimage to Mecca sacrifice a lamb or camel at the alter of god. Lambs and camels are also sacrificed on every Eid to thank their god for all his kindness. Animals are also sacrificed during weddings, birth of sons and completion of a house to offer thanks.

One of the cornerstones of the Santeria religion is Ebó, or the ritual offering or sacrifice as dictated by divination. Followers believe if they perform the rituals they can change their fate and return their lives to a balanced and healthy state.

Some followers of Judaism still practice korbanot, sacrificing a chicken or lamb to atone for human sins. As I understand it, the (innocent) animal is a proxy for the person who actually committed the offense.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 3:36 pm

Prank calling is impossible these days. I hate it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 4:57 pm

Buy cocaine toothache drops. You know, for kids!

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 11:58 pm

USMCnBNSFdude wrote:

Yeah, that really does suck nowadays.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 9:50 am

There are still societies, of course, who still sacrifice animals.

Even in the US, there are certain adherents of Caribbean/African religions who still do this.

LilZebra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2015, 10:10 am

Delivering newspapers by bicycle.

Most newspaper co's nowadays hire adults who drive.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 10:26 am

K_Kelly wrote:
USMCnBNSFdude wrote:

Yeah, that really does suck nowadays.

These guys pulled one off last week.

Quote:
Russian Elton John prankster admits 'Putin call'

17 September 2015 Last updated at 14:09 BST

A recording of a phone call in which Sir Elton John was tricked into thinking President Vladimir Putin had called him to discuss gay rights, has been aired on Russian TV.

Vladimir Krasnov and Alexei Stolyarov phoned the singer after he told BBC News he wanted to meet Mr Putin to discuss gay rights in Russia.

During their call, one played the part of the president, speaking in Russian, while the other translated his remarks.

LINK

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 10:44 am

Buy arsenic based pesticides ( Ah, the good old days ).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 1:02 pm

Using bloodletting at a "cure" for everything. The one thing it may have treated successfully was high blood pressure, but it was very unintentional back then since hypertension has no symptoms and no one had a clue about it.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 5:26 pm

Blue single use flashbulbs. Flip-style flashbulb bars for Polaroid cameras. Magic-cubes for Instamatics. As I child I used to love firing off the latter by putting force on the trigger bar (IIR). Got grounded once at my grandparents when I discovered an entire bag of them in a storage room. They no longer had any use for them as the cameras were years gone, yet somehow I was wasting money...