Neighbors force family Autistic boy to leave then sue them

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 7:43 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3241513/Family-autistic-son-driven-home-neighbors-bring-lawsuit-against-parents-accusing-boy-11-causing-house-prices-plummet.html

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2015, 3:22 pm

I've read it. Honestly I understand the areas concern. First this was an ongoing issue in which locals tried to sit down but the family refused allowing the child to do whatever.

Just because you have Autism does not mean you can go around doing whatever. Better to find out the hard way early rather than later. I used to go around biting people and doing other things that are unacceptable it's good I learned young rather than later.

I still like to bite though

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 7:50 pm

HisShadowX wrote:
I've read it. Honestly I understand the areas concern. First this was an ongoing issue in which locals tried to sit down but the family refused allowing the child to do whatever.

Just because you have Autism does not mean you can go around doing whatever. Better to find out the hard way early rather than later. I used to go around biting people and doing other things that are unacceptable it's good I learned young rather than later.

I understand there attitude and it was vindictiveness and hate. Suing them after they have driven the family out makes all the talk about property values and it is not about autism seem like bold face lies.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2015, 4:49 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
HisShadowX wrote:

I understand there attitude and it was vindictiveness and hate. Suing them after they have driven the family out makes all the talk about property values and it is not about autism seem like bold face lies.

This story is told differently depending on what source your reading it from all are condemning the area but most are talking about this situation from an outsiders prospective.

I mean if I went up and bit and even stomp'd on a baby yeah the locals would be pissed off and they were. Some stories say they sued before they left but they had every right to it sounds like the boy was an absolute terror.

Even though some of us take a while to accept or understand some behavior is unacceptable baby stomping is unacceptable.

Plus people who live in HOA are more strict on everything when it comes to property values and what residents can and cannot do.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 5:55 am

HisShadowX wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
HisShadowX wrote:

This story is told differently depending on what source your reading it from all are condemning the area but most are talking about this situation from an outsiders prospective.

I mean if I went up and bit and even stomp'd on a baby yeah the locals would be pissed off and they were. Some stories say they sued before they left but they had every right to it sounds like the boy was an absolute terror.

Even though some of us take a while to accept or understand some behavior is unacceptable baby stomping is unacceptable.

Plus people who live in HOA are more strict on everything when it comes to property values and what residents can and cannot do.

I would maybe consider you opinion as correct if once they drove the family out they went on with their lives. They have not done this but are continuing to go after them. Any propertity value devaluation if it actually occurred would end as soon as the family was forced out. What reason would they have to continue to go after them but hate and vindictiveness.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 10:00 pm

A few neighbors claim the kid is a "public nuisance", hurting the neighborhood.
The other neighbors claim the only problem with the kid was his disability driving down their property values, hurting their neighborhood.

All the neighbors shown are white, while the family in question is Indian (not Native American) in a practically all white neighborhood.

One of the white families who brought suit were renting the house they lived in, but have since moved or an unknown reason.

The neighbors who sued, sued the child not the parents, the child is listed as defendant on the suit.
They also tried to get the judge to order the child medical and school records into evidence.
Thankfully the judge said no for the time being.

They have until November to reach a deal through mediation (final attempt at mediation) or go to a public trial.
The judge really is unhappy with this mess and doesn't want a trial.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 10:06 pm

I am a bit torn by this.

First, I have to agree with the neighbors that the parents were at fault. Just because the kiddo is autistic does not give him the right to do some of the things he has done, MUCH LESS, does it give the parents the right to make excuses because of autism. The fact is that if the kid was this bad, the parents should've kept him close and not allowed him to roam around doing such things

However, if we take the autism out of this and just say this kid was a kid doing exactly the same things, would this have gotten this far? I doubt it. Even worse, if this kid had been any minority and had done exactly the same things, it would've gotten nowhere fast as it would've been considered racist.

So, no, I do not agree with the parents, but at the same time, the fact that this is an issue is ONLY because of autism. If the kiddo was neurotypical of any race, this would have NEVER been allowed to even go to court or for them to sue.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 7:04 am

I think someone complaining about you lowering their real estate value is just grounds for spiteful arson. :P While the kid's behavior was unacceptable, that's an asinine reason if I ever heard one. The same excuse has historically been used to drive black people out of neighborhoods so racist scum can have their happy bubble (considering the family was the only non-whites in the neighborhood, I'm suspecting that is actually the case and the complaints may be fake or exaggerated). Anyone who uses that line of reasoning is greedy scum. Disgusting people in that neighborhood, a bunch of selfish bigots. The family should counter-sue.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 7:50 pm

Mediation ordered

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 3:55 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Okay, so apparently not everyone else on the street was white. But driving someone from their home is ridiculous, and filing a suit after they already left is equally ridiculous.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 1:50 am

The kid was aggressive and no one has right to be assaulted or bit or kicked and the child attacked a four year old. It's sickening how anyone can stand up for this family being sued as if they think other kids should be abused just because he is autistic.

I have read different sources about this and it's keeps saying the same thing but found one source that said there were no injuries. it also said the parents tried everything they could to keep him under control and he had babysitters. I wonder how often these incidents occurred over the years. I also read he was bringing down home values and kids didn't feel safe to play outside. Neighbors tried working with the parents but they wouldn't commit.

It was good the family moved but why still the lawsuit? If the boy had injured their child so they were suing for medical costs, then that would be understandable. Or if he had done some property damage.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 12:38 pm

I'll agree on the standpoint since it was proven the child had been shown as displaying that is signifcant but, being aggressive is one thing though having innate knowledge of such and not trying to do something about it, well that's a whole another story..