Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lonely autistic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2015, 2:34 pm

Do any of you guys and girls have poor memory, i seem to have poor memory, from losing things, to reading things, I see people who have read things long ago, and they remember pretty clearly what they read, if its been awhile, i I completly forget, and just can't really remember.Anyone hear have poor memory, long or short term memory????

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2015, 2:40 pm

Yes...in an attention deficit sort of way...not that I'm saying I have ADHD...I've certainly never been DXd with it. But I will go into a room to, say, put my son's stuff into his bookbag and something will get my attention and I will literally forget, within seconds, that I was going to put my son's stuff into his bookbag.

I literally write notes for myself..."IEP AT 10:00...IPE AT 10:00..." I have to put them somewhere where I will see them, say, on the bathroom counter because I know at some point I'll be going to the bathroom...otherwise I'll forget that I wrote the note! Once in a while if something is super-important but I can not keep it in the front of my mind, I will write it on the back of my hand.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 4:44 pm

Long term memory? Amazing. The stuff I can recall as being a baby is amazing yet utterly useless. Short term memory? Really bad. I write reminders to do things and then forget about the reminder even though I keep attaching it to things. I should use the technology I have to help me, but I forget I need to do that. It's a nightmare. I even forget to eat sometimes which is a problem since I don't really feel hungry. If I don't eat at my regular eating time chances are I'll forget. What the f**k is wrong with me? :?

RubyTates
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Sep 2015, 4:48 pm

My short term memory is pretty bad. My long term memory is phenomenal.

I always thought that I would forget things because I see most things as trivial. The things that really stick in my mind are the things I am very interested in and really make an impact. I thought my short-term memory was just due to having a selective memory, but it could be an autistic trait.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 4:55 pm

Terrible short term, very good long term.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 5:23 pm

I have an excellent visual long term recognitive memory.

TheNameless
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2015, 6:06 pm

I can recall things vividly from years ago but I forget things I did ten minutes ago. So same as most posters, good long term memory, terrible short term. I write lists and have to mark things on calendars or get my children to remind me about things I need to get or do else I will definitely forget about it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 7:24 pm

Temple Grandin's take
The article is about which jobs are better for people with poor short term working memory common in autism

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sylph
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2015, 8:18 pm

Same issue with everyone else here, I have horrific working memory I try to take notes however in many instances I'm usually in a rush. However, my long term memory is pretty accurate.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 8:20 pm

My long term memory is kind of sketchy, my short term memory is brilliant. Really great for cramming, but not so great for trying to get a college degree :|

symphonie_fantastique
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2015, 12:18 am

My long term memory is great. My memory for things that i am interested in is also excellent. But as soon as it comes to things that i'm not interested and my short term/working memory, then i am in a whole lot of trouble.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 3:39 am

My memory is very good, both short and long term. However it only tends to remember things unintentionally. Like if I was told to memorise something then I'd have no hope of doing that but if someone else was learning lines then I'd probably remember there's perfectly.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 3:48 am

On a scale of 1-10, with one being the lowest and ten being the highest:

Short-term memory - 2
Long-term memory - 4

My psychiatrist insists that I do not have ADD or ADHD but he does believe my memory and concentration are both severely affected by a generalised anxiety disorder. I am hoping my GP will prescribe something tomorrow which will cause my anxiety levels to drop. Both my psychiatrist and ASD social worker think it should be a low dosage, though.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 3:49 am

On a scale of 1-10, with one being the lowest and ten being the highest:

Short-term memory - 1
Long-term memory - 6

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 5:47 am

Feyokien wrote:
My long term memory is kind of sketchy, my short term memory is brilliant. Really great for cramming, but not so great for trying to get a college degree :|

Ditto. I am better at memorizing than applying.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 6:07 am

Terrible short term memory, ADD... call it what you will, I forget what people said while they are speaking, mid-sentence... It's like I don't even save it in my head or it immediately gets overridden.

When I need to remember something short term, like a phone number from the living room and remember it till I'm in the kitchen, I need to verbally repeat it over and over or it's gone.

Long term I can remember some things better than others.
Like for example some stats to some game I can at times remember accurately, some of my memories are strong, but I cannot properly process them due to ADD symptoms (I wasn't diagnosed with it but it's pretty clear that I must have it).
For a lot of things I have forgotten they are in my memory and when I get into contact with the subject matter again, I remember things while talking about it.

Overall I have a bad memory. It used to be better before I had 24/7 access to the Internet. In fact my mom used to say I have the memory of an elephant.