Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

nerdymama
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2015, 12:15 pm

I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of any apps or tools that are good for identifying and naming moods, feelings, or emotions.

This would be used for situations when I'm feeling something and I can't quite figure out what I am feeling or why I might be feeling it.

I don't know if such a tool exists but if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them!

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 12:18 pm

Maybe try google the stuff you can identify and search for the right word.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 1:07 pm

There are basically four different emotions. Sadness, anger, joy and fear. All the other emotions you hear people talking about are one or combinations of these. Living Well on the Spectrum by Valerie Gaus has some good information on emotions in people with an ASD. I have trouble identifying emotions while I'm feeling them but it's easier if I simplify things a little.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 2:25 pm

nerdymama wrote:
I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of any apps or tools that are good for identifying and naming moods, feelings, or emotions.

This would be used for situations when I'm feeling something and I can't quite figure out what I am feeling or why I might be feeling it.

I don't know if such a tool exists but if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them!

I had a thread about identifying emotions a few months ago. My therapist at the time encouraged me to identify where I felt the emotion physically (e.g. head, chest, limbs), and to form the habit of regularly pausing to name the emotion I was feeling. This was homework that I had to do daily, keep a record of and briefly discuss it with her each week.

Personally I found the broad range of emotions mind boggling, so I aimed to be familiar with the primary emotions in Plutchik's theory/model: anger, fear, sadness, disgust, surprise, anticipation, trust, and joy. From what I understand, secondary and tertiary emotions are subtle variations of these eight.
http://www.deepermind.com/02clarty.htm
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... dy/282713/