Not disclosing because you doubt your diagnosis

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 2:04 am

One big reason I don't disclose my diagnosis I because I'm doubting it. Even if it is accurate for me, it hasn't been a useful way to define me. If someone finds out about my diagnosis through another source I'll just tell them I was doubting it and I'm against labels.

I'm actually obsessed with labels, but saying I'm against labels just covers so many things. I can say that when people ask about autism, my sexual orientation or ethnicity.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 3:55 am

It's your diagnosis, you can do what you like with it, use it in the way that helps you best. If that means choosing not to disclose then that's okay.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 7:05 am

As said above you can do or not what you want with the diagnosis.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Relax_on_Standby
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2015, 2:26 am

I shy away from addressing any of my quirks because I have my insecurities of feeling like a burden. I want to some feel of independence due to my stubbornness.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 11:22 am

Well, and when you tell someone that you are [whatever]...they might have a preconceived notion of [whatever] that doesn't fit you at all. So when you're trying to describe yourself or give them information, you've accidentally led them astray.

Autism for women seems to be very different than autism for men. Personally I need to do further reading about it, and I would recommend any woman on the spectrum do the same. Specifically, the stuff about eye contact, touching, talking to people seems to be different. It seems like it's easy for autistic women to pick up on what other people are feeling and can accidentally copy their friends or colleagues so that the other people think they are exactly alike.

Again, I need to do further reading. These are just things I have heard directly from autistic women. They don't match at all what I have heard autistic men say.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 12:22 pm

I read somewhere that most high-functioning Aspie men come across as more "geeky", where as most high-functioning women come across as more eccentric. I find it hard to detect other female Aspies, that Aspie men are easy for me to detect. When I meet an Aspie woman, I ask myself, "is she Bipolar? Or highly anxious maybe? Or perhaps just ADD. Or she might just be a quirky NT. With social anxiety as well."

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2015, 12:39 pm

Not because I doubt it, but rather, because others do. I "cover" very, very well...at least up to a certain point. I generally get that "that was weird" or "is there something wrong with you?" look at a certain point with ANYBODY I spend a significant amount of time with, but I'm 99.9% certain they'd never guess it was ASD, simply because I come off as so social. It's a concerted and concentrated effort that I've included in every one of my interactions with any other human being for the past nearly 40 years now.

I go out of my way to appear social to the point that I'm the one who will walk up to others at parties (as much as I hate it! Ugh, hate parties, they're so loud and confusing) and I'm often the one to sniff out the person who's uncomfortable and shy and start a gentle conversation with him/her to make him/her feel less uncomfortable.

I brought up at my son's IEP once about my own condition and was met with shock and disbelief (though I'm not absolutely certain that wasn't overplayed in an effort to make me feel better somehow, much like people will say to someone who discloses her age, "You're kidding, I'd have guessed you were 30 at the most!").

The problem is, the comparatively rare times I've disclosed, the person has wanted a full explanation, and I don't always feel like giving it. That's personal. It also feels like I'm "defending" my position, which I don't think I'm actually required to do, so to heck with that. :)

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 4:26 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Autism for women seems to be very different than autism for men. Personally I need to do further reading about it, and I would recommend any woman on the spectrum do the same. Specifically, the stuff about eye contact, touching, talking to people seems to be different. It seems like it's easy for autistic women to pick up on what other people are feeling and can accidentally copy their friends or colleagues so that the other people think they are exactly alike.

Again, I need to do further reading. These are just things I have heard directly from autistic women. They don't match at all what I have heard autistic men say.

I'm an autistic girl and none of that is true for me. Anything describing autistic people in general will fit me. Apparently it's a tiny bit different in girls, like apparently we have higher anxiety levels but less behaviour problems, but all the symptoms are the same and it's the same disorder in both of us. We're just a bit more likely to be the shy kid, and males are more likely to be talkative about their special interests. In general, though, so it can be the other way round.

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2015, 8:44 pm

I'm in a similar boat. I'm not the kind of person who likes to keep stuff like this private, but I keep it secret because I'm only self-diagnosed.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 9:18 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Well, and when you tell someone that you are [whatever]...they might have a preconceived notion of [whatever] that doesn't fit you at all. So when you're trying to describe yourself or give them information, you've accidentally led them astray.

That's a big reason why I don't like telling people. It often just leads them astray. I don't think there's any point in even debating whether I'm on the spectrum or not. The definition keeps shifting, so it's kind of meaningless in a way.

Since autism is such a serious sounding label it kind of distracts people from other issues. My ADHD and fatigue issues cause way more problems than my extremely mild autism traits.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 2:01 am

Quote:
Since autism is such a serious sounding label it kind of distracts people from other issues. My ADHD and fatigue issues cause way more problems than my extremely mild autism traits.

That's exactly how I feel about my ASD. Autism is a serious-sounding label, or even a serious-sounding word, and having everyone know that I'm associated with it just makes me feel uncomfortable. I haven't been diagnosed with ADD but I know I have it, and that has always affected me learning-wise, and I have social and general anxiety which affects me more than anything, particularly in employment. So I feel more comfortable just telling people that I have ADD or ADHD and anxiety disorder, and those two things accurately describe me more than AS. People who know I have AS just overestimate me, and get surprised when I show feelings (which I'm good at) or have normal body language and tone of voice, or don't have a special interest I talk about, or don't isolate myself from my colleagues at lunch, or can tell white lies, etc.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 10:11 am

I was about to reply almost exactly the same things as NowhereWoman's reply, especially "Not because I doubt it, but because others do." And for the same reasons as she states -- because I mask a lot even though I probably don't do it well enough to avoid those occasional reactions from people where I know they're thinking I'm a bit weird every other five minutes, while seeming "normal" most of the time, outwardly.

NowhereWoman wrote:
Not because I doubt it, but rather, because others do. I "cover" very, very well...at least up to a certain point. I generally get that "that was weird" or "is there something wrong with you?" look at a certain point with ANYBODY I spend a significant amount of time with, but I'm 99.9% certain they'd never guess it was ASD, simply because I come off as so social. It's a concerted and concentrated effort that I've included in every one of my interactions with any other human being for the past nearly 40 years now.

I go out of my way to appear social to the point that I'm the one who will walk up to others at parties (as much as I hate it! Ugh, hate parties, they're so loud and confusing) and I'm often the one to sniff out the person who's uncomfortable and shy and start a gentle conversation with him/her to make him/her feel less uncomfortable.

I brought up at my son's IEP once about my own condition and was met with shock and disbelief (though I'm not absolutely certain that wasn't overplayed in an effort to make me feel better somehow, much like people will say to someone who discloses her age, "You're kidding, I'd have guessed you were 30 at the most!").

I also strongly relate to this:

Quote:
The problem is, the comparatively rare times I've disclosed, the person has wanted a full explanation, and I don't always feel like giving it. That's personal. It also feels like I'm "defending" my position, which I don't think I'm actually required to do, so to heck with that. :)

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2015, 11:50 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I was about to reply almost exactly the same things as NowhereWoman's reply, especially "Not because I doubt it, but because others do." And for the same reasons as she states -- because I mask a lot even though I probably don't do it well enough to avoid those occasional reactions from people where I know they're thinking I'm a bit weird every other five minutes, while seeming "normal" most of the time, outwardly.

NowhereWoman wrote:

I also strongly relate to this:

Quote:

I've actually found quite a bit of being able to "relate" on this site and it's amazing to me, I've never found that anywhere else. Feel right at home here. :heart: