Why does my kid like kicking objects

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Bkdad82
Raven
Raven

28 Sep 2015, 7:19 pm

I am at a loss as to why my 3 year old loves to scramble and kick objects with his feet. Instead of building blocks he puts them on the floor and kicks them around. Then he gathers them again and repeats for hours. He also like to do the same with leaves. Occasionally he uses his hands to scramble objects. Can someone shed a light as to what is so interesting about scrambling blocks?

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 7:26 pm

Well, he's 3. But when I was younger I seldom played games like they were intended. I would take pieces from various board games and play with them in different ways.

Sounds like you have a future soccer player on your hands though.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 6:11 am

He likes how they move and sound. It's fun because it stimulates his sense of sight and hearing. Touch too. It's good. He learns how to make sense of his senses and discovers the physics laws. Kicking also improves his balance and body control.

All kids like sensory stimulating plays at age of 3. NT and not. It's an important stage of development.

Quote:
Language and Thinking Development

understands most of what is said and 75 percent of speech is understandable
speaks in complete sentences of three to five words
matches pictures to objects
learns by doing and through the senses
understands concepts of “now,” “soon,” and “later”
begins to recognize cause-and-effect relationships

http://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles ... through-5/

A lot of sensory experiences now can prevent developing sensory processing disorder in the future.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 6:50 am

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about this as long as he isn't hurting anyone or anything. I mean, he is entertained and busy doing this right? My oldest also liked just messing things around at the same age. I wouldn't worry!

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 11:15 am

I agree with he other posters, I don't see this is fundamentally different from the NT behavior of gathering a pike of autumn leaves and jumping in it it and scattering the leaves around. Maybe it is more advanced, even. Maybe he is examining the physics of motion and cause and effect. It also seems similar to people who like to see buildings being demolished. I would not worry.

Bkdad82
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2015, 6:55 pm

beakybird wrote:
Well, he's 3. But when I was younger I seldom played games like they were intended. I would take pieces from various board games and play with them in different ways.

Sounds like you have a future soccer player on your hands though.

Interesting. I totally understand but the strange thing is he spends a lot of time doing this and then gets frustrated at his own game. Lately he also started to pick up toys and throwing them. That I try to prevent.

Bkdad82
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2015, 6:59 pm

Kiriae wrote:
He likes how they move and sound. It's fun because it stimulates his sense of sight and hearing. Touch too. It's good. He learns how to make sense of his senses and discovers the physics laws. Kicking also improves his balance and body control.

All kids like sensory stimulating plays at age of 3. NT and not. It's an important stage of development.

Quote:
Language and Thinking Development

understands most of what is said and 75 percent of speech is understandable
speaks in complete sentences of three to five words
matches pictures to objects
learns by doing and through the senses
understands concepts of “now,” “soon,” and “later”
begins to recognize cause-and-effect relationships

http://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles ... through-5/

A lot of sensory experiences now can prevent developing sensory processing disorder in the future.

Interesting. I never stop his stims. Especially after reading people's opinions on his forum. Actually I help him stim by flapping his hands etc which he laughs at. The strange thing to me is how much time he spends doing this. I wish he didn't do it for so long.

Bkdad82
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2015, 7:00 pm

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
I agree with he other posters, I don't see this is fundamentally different from the NT behavior of gathering a pike of autumn leaves and jumping in it it and scattering the leaves around. Maybe it is more advanced, even. Maybe he is examining the physics of motion and cause and effect. It also seems similar to people who like to see buildings being demolished. I would not worry.

Interesting. Maybe he'd like a video of a demolition.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 8:42 am

Bkdad82 wrote:
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:

Interesting. Maybe he'd like a video of a demolition.

Maybe, but don't underestimate the importance of kinesthetic experience. Many of us are very strongly visual people and live in our heads a bit, but others are very embodied and tactile and kinesthetic experience is really, really important to them. It may be at his age that he is immersing himself in a mix of proprioception, kinesthetic sense and tactile feedback and a video would offer none of that.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 2:24 pm

He probably finds it fun.
It is repetitive and predictable.
Perhaps he likes the cause and effect of his kicking and the objects moving.
It is a concern if a child does this one thing for hours per day, as they are not getting as much other stimulation besides kicking and throwing things.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 7:11 am

Bkdad82 wrote:
Can someone shed a light as to what is so interesting about scrambling blocks?

You are asking the wrong question. Your question should be: what can I teach my son when he scrambles blocks?

The universe was originally a hot soup. As it cooled down, stars and planets were formed. Your question is like: why did earth happen to be on it's current orbit and not at another place? The presence of self interaction (excess synapses in the brain) leads to almost unpredictable "accretion" of attention focus in the brains of these children. It's pointless to ask the "why" question. Some spots of the universe are void of matter (in the sense of baryons), some other spots are full of matter. That's just a natural consequence of self interaction. You know the distribution of matter will spike at some locations, you just can't tell where exactly. It all reminds me of a passage of the Jurassic Park movie, about chaos theory.

When parents philosophize about stimming behaviors, recession happens in the development of their children. After 70+ years of child autism, parents should know better. But no, they don't learn from the failure of the millions of parents, past and present.

STIMMING TIME IS LEARNING TIME.

You don't take their stimming moments to teach skills to your children, your children will pay the price and you both will suffer. Teach your son to follow commands, to read, to verbalize, to chase around with you, to go to your wife and say "I am a good boy," to do high five, to hop, to dance, etc. etc. My son stimmed with vacuum cleaner, he learned to read and say short sentences that way (like "I want vacuum.") He learned go means go and stop means stop (when I played running around with him). He learned to follow verbal commands. When he stimmed with elevators, he learned to say long sentences for conversation, to write, to type on computer, to draw pictures, to do addition/subtraction, to assemble complicated electronic circuits. Oh, and one day when I took him to elevator rides in the shopping plaza, I bought him a bag of popcorn, and from there he is learning multiplication, now. From his love for eating ice cream cones he has learned to write a simple computer program, at age 5.

You philosophize, your son pays the price, in the form of underdevelopment. Why would you want that?

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 2:26 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
You are asking the wrong question. Your question should be: what can I teach my son when he scrambles blocks?

I hope I am posting this correctly. It is supposed to be the cute, "Why not Both?" meme-- little girl picture.

Seriously, he wants insight into why his kid enjoys something. How is this not helpful? The more you understand your kid the better, right?