Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

InquisitiveCat01
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2015, 3:59 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a 20-something female who thinks she may be an Aspie. I live in Australia and love cats. When I was very little my mum used to say that I would ask endless deep questions - hence the name InquisitiveCat01. I believe I come from a family full of Aspies and that it is in my genes. I have obsessions revolving around people and stories (psychology, history, myths etc etc).

My dilemma currently is that I'm see a psychologist who says that while I match the diagnostic criteria for ASD, they think my symptoms can be better explained by trauma. I'm quite frustrated by this because while I'm sure I do have trauma (like possibly everyone on this planet) I don't think ALL my symptoms are as a result of trauma! They say they're open to ASD but I feel like I'm not being understood and assumptions are being made. Now I'm questioning what came first - my Aspie-ness or trauma? Has anyone else gone through this?

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 4:04 pm

Hey InquisitiveCat01 welcome. :sunny:

StellarJean
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2015, 4:14 pm

Welcome :D

Yep, I understand. I met some reluctant psychiatrists/chologists who seemed to think trauma as a kind of diagnosis that annihilate all other diagnosis :|

However you can have trauma and ASD, or other disorders.

In the case of ASD, you can try to seek for signs of autism in your early childhood, or whenever before the trauma.

Good luck.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 2:07 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)