Amazon stop to sell Apple and Google streaming product

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 7:07 pm

In the hope of getting better sales for their Fire TV Amazon decided it wouldn't sale their main competitor streaming products. This is bad news for the future, as Amazon is well placed to censor books and some other cultural goods.
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/amazon-stop-selling-google-chromecast-apple-tv-n437161

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 2:54 pm

The fact that they sold it in the first place is the only remarkable thing.

It is better to have more marketplaces, than more on the one marketplace.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 3:00 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Amazon is well placed to censor books and some other cultural goods.

Censorship is more about the ability to say something and less about the ability to get it published an sold. Getting published is hard anyway, but easier than before.

More alternative outlets will address this issue. They would actually be at a disadvantage to not sell soemthign that is popular, and they need to be in it to win it.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 3:42 pm

I have noticed a particular pattern with popular books on Amazon.

A lot of them have quotes from the press highlighting how great they are.

The positive reviews, especially the "Most Helpful" ones often make out the books to be the best they've ever read, which is suspicious. Also, these top reviews tend to be very long and detailed, but all in the same way.

When you write a negative review, sometimes you get an unusual amount of "Unhelpful" votes.

Sometimes the same books have the same amount of reviews on amazon.com and amazon.co.uk.

A lot of the positive reviews seem fake. Some will be positive even though the reader states things like they haven't read it yet.

I don't trust positive reviews in most places.

Also, Amazon now has it so you can only browse the latest popular books, rather than the most popular. It's impossible to browse for an old popular book unless you know its title. It isn't censorship exactly, but certainly limiting on purpose.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 3:46 pm

I also see that Marketplace sellers have fake feedback, the most popular big sellers have the same amount of feedback for years. I think this is how they get to the top.

And listing products that they don't actually have in their inventory in order to appear bigger.