Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

immortalwarrior
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2015, 2:51 pm

My friend thinks I have bpd and that bpd gets diagnosed as aspergers on a regular basis how valid or true is this?

LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 3:35 pm

Asperger's must manifest in childhood in order for it to be diagnosed.

Personality disorders cannot be diagnosed prior to adulthood.

Therefore, they are not likely to be misdiagnosed in any way, shape, or form as these are requirements to diagnosis in each instance.

However, one can have both asperger's AND a personality disorder.

immortalwarrior
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2015, 4:42 pm

Are sexual obsessions normal with these conditions I was diagnosed with aspergers

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 10:46 pm

I don't see how one can be misdiagnosed as the other. The symptoms are very different. It's possible to have symptoms of both at the same time though.

macandpea
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2015, 1:30 am

AS you are born with, personality disorders arise out of circumstance

I have BPD. It took me a while to get the diagnosis because when I told my doctor something was wrong he said that my 'acting out' was characteristic of AS. I knew this was BS though because I know many people with AS and they managed not to be caught in the kind of self destructive cycles I was in. I kept pushing him until he admitted that in a NT person he would see my behaviours as Classic BPD.

LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 5:39 am

immortalwarrior wrote:
Are sexual obsessions normal with these conditions I was diagnosed with aspergers

Sexual obsessions, particularly the sort you were talking about before in the other thread that got locked, are not anyplace in the diagnostic criteria for Asperger's, no. Neither are they listed in the DSM in relation to BPD.

I have found such obsessions to be a part of schizophrenic discussion threads quite often, but I am not a licensed medical professional and can only reply with these anecdotal bits of information.

Hypersexuality in and of itself is also a possible diagnosis and not a symptom of any larger issue, necessarily.

Troubling sexual obsessions should be brought to a licensed professional for further input. Not all sexual obsessions are necessarily diagnosable as a mental illness, but based on your previously given information it may well be a good idea in your case to speak to someone, as you probably already know.

By making all of these threads to ask for information it seems clear that you feel there's something amiss and you're just trying to figure out what it is. That's what the doctors are for. Let them do it. Just my opinion.

immortalwarrior
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2015, 7:27 pm

I am hypersexual even though I don't have sex. I persevere and obsess about being in a relationship and wanting to be with a woman as I've been single for a year what do you think of Chris harper Mercer do you think he had as ? When I was little I couldn't stand any type of change walking the same routines eating the same foods I hated change and I still do to some degree

Jimothy1669
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Oct 2015, 7:18 pm

I have heard of people being diagnosed with BPD and later having that diagnosis revoked and replaced with ASD, but I've never heard of it happening the other way around. Unless your friend has made that suggestion on the basis of a decent knowledge of the assessment criteria for both conditions, I would take what they say with a pinch of salt, and seek the opinion of someone trained in assessing people for one or the other, if possible.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 11:58 pm

I have noticed there are some individuals on the autism spectrum that are more highly emotional/reactive than the typical person with aspergers. I'm one of these people. I don't know if that alone is enough for a BPD diagnosis though. Not all the attributes really fit for me. I have emotional outbursts, but I'm not impulsive or high risk-taking like people with BPD I've talked to. I get extremely obsessive over rejection though and can't deal with it when people judge me. I feel cornered somehow and a lot of rage boils up.

BenReilly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2015, 10:00 am

I am diagnosed with Aspergers and I have to say I have always had hyper-sexuality issues. I have also long had kinks that tied in with feeling apart and lonely inside from the rest of the human race. Thank God for my wife.

My wife says I cycle every few weeks. Very down, Very down, Okay and feeling fine, MANIC and hyper, and back to very down again. Occasionally there is a feeling generally pissed off that pops up from time to time. I have often felt that means I am bipolar, especially since I've done rash things before that have stimulated hormones. (Never cheated in any way incidentally, that IS not an issue. Also I never splurge financially like people with BP are often said to.)

So what I'm saying is that maybe Aspergers doesn't always feel all that different to being bipolar.

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 11:46 pm

immortalwarrior wrote:
My friend thinks I have bpd and that bpd gets diagnosed as aspergers on a regular basis how valid or true is this?

Ultimately diagnosis depends on subjective judgments by the diagnoser. Misdiagnosis is common.

AS probably has a more favorable public image than BPD so I think that creates a bias towards AS diagnosis.

What do you think? So far as I know, hypersexuality is not a defining characteristic of BPD, but reckless behavior (including sexual behavior) is. If you're not out doing crazy stuff then maybe you're not BPD.

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2015, 1:06 am

Just to get it right. I think a few people here believe that BPD is Bipolar disorder. It is not. It is Borderline Personality Disorder. Two different diagnosis. I can understand where the mixup in the acronyms might make you think otherwise. Bipolar is only BP.

Perdido
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2015, 1:19 pm

This is a fascinating topic, and thank you for raising it ImmortalWarrior. I think it's really important, and I think that the psychiatric profession can be somewhat remiss in the way it assesses both of these conditions, and possibly confuses the two more frequently than it would care to admit. I have had mental health problems over the years, and at one point I received a provisional diagnosis of Bipolar II Disorder. I have always been somewhat volatile in my temperament. I can go through phases when I seem pretty 'high' and I do impulsive things. I have meltdowns that can be destructive, but that are distinguishable from my 'normal' state (hence they would never qualify for a Personality Disorder or Schizoid Disorder). I have also suffered from periods of depression. The diagnosis of Bipolar II makes a certain amount of sense in the light of this, but my husband pointed out at the time that it didn't quite 'fit'. During the assessment that led to the Bipolar diagnosis, the psychiatrist asked some very leading questions that, with hindsight on my part, suggest that he had already made up his mind about me based on what my GP had reported to him. It frightens me that this happened and I'm glad that I didn't take the medication he recommended. I'm extremely sensitive to medication, which is often the sace with individuals on the Autism Spectrum. This is one reason why a misdiagnosis can be incredibly harmful to us. The sort of 'highs' I experience - and they can be very euphoric - are a result of sensitivity to emotional and sensory stimuli. I can literally jump for joy, and carry on jumping for joy for some considerable time, if something triggers it. But, unlike a Bipolar person, I'm not likely to sell my house over the internet and attempt to move Bangkok. Believe me, I have a friend who is Bipolar and who did attempt that! So, it's a very relevant and pressing issue I think for those of us on the autism spectrum.

immortalwarrior
Raven
Raven

12 Nov 2015, 4:05 pm

I feel very embarrassed and ashamed of my hypersexuality I think and Day dream about sex almost all day long I look at a random woman on the street and envision myself fantasizing having sex with her. I'm 31 years old and have had this issue since my teens I think it's the fact that I never had sex in my teen years I didn't have sex until I was in my late late 20s all the years I tried and waited against my Will took a toll on me mentally so maybe I don't have bpd I do have aspergers diagnosed though. People often misdiagnosis psychologists are not perfect people always and some of the stuff they say is bull s**t sometimes they tell you what you want to hear since they are getting money from you

pigsrock
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2015, 2:28 am

I have borderline personality disorder and aspergers.
I also have pica, bipolar, adhd, anxiety NOS, and depression.

23andaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2015, 4:16 am

The prevalence of personality disorders amongst the ASD population is much higher than in the general population, and BPD is correlated with ASD. A study was done on a sample of females with AS, and something like 15% also met the criterion for BPD. That's much higher than the general prevalence.

One thing to also keep in mind is that the genetic factors and underlying patho-physiology of developmental, mood, and personality disorders are not mutually exclusive (references: Common Genetic Factors Found in 5 Mental Disorders, The Polyvagal Theory).

Finally, I had a therapist who treated adults with Aspergers and had BPD herself. She had an interesting theory, which was that BPD and high-functioning ASD are like two sides of the same coin. It's emotional dys-regulation that's manifested in different ways.

I'm not sure if I satisfy the 5 symptoms needed to fit the criterion for a BPD diagnosis, but I sure have quite a few of the symptoms.

Axis I: 299.80 Asperger's Syndrome, 314.00 Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive Type
Blog: http://www.23andaspie.com