High school kids can't answer basic questions

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2015, 11:05 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
Being in the presence of audio video equipment lowers people's IQs. They can probably muster up enough brain power to pass True / False or Multiple Choice tests, but in this case a lot of their mental resources are squandered on concern about how they look and sound on camera.

Good point!

I never thought I'd consider private school for my kid, but there doesn't seem to be another option. He's already too smart and schools already seem to offer too little.

What do they teach kids in school these days since they don't know those things? I'm seriously asking. Does anyone have a teenager or young adult, or is one, who can tell us?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 2:36 am

Quote:
These high school kids can't answer basic questions

I fixed the title for you.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 10:02 pm

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 10:52 pm

Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
I feel like this is staged, or something to that extent. Like they took the worst performing school in the area, and asked the worst class in that school. A example would be like Kassem G. He goes to Venice Beach, and obviously picks people who aren't the sharpest tools out there. That's my opinion though, and it might be wrong.

Let's put it this way, the people in the video MUST answer the questions wrong for there to be a funny video. I'm thinking either they ask a lot of people and I mean a lot to get what they want, or else it is staged. I'm thinking most everything you see where people make fools of themselves knowing they are on camera, is staged. That includes those court room shows were there are always stupid and goofy people suing each other.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 12:39 pm

^^i'll have to agree with that. kids who know their stuff and answer all the questions well doesn't make for a very funny video.

SocOfAutism wrote:
What do they teach kids in school these days since they don't know those things? I'm seriously asking. Does anyone have a teenager or young adult, or is one, who can tell us?

i'm guessing it's about whether the stuff is taught in a way that grabs and holds the students attention. powerpoints and cornell notes make most things....less enthralling in my experience. i went to a relatively high performing public HS where most of the teachers seemed to give a damn (that is very important), and the stuff was taught, but i cant vouch for the kids in the back rows immersed in....whatever the hell they are immersed in, i never found out.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

12 Nov 2015, 8:54 pm

If this is staged, it's a non-issue.
If this is actually the people's REAL knowledge of social studies, then America is dying as we speak. And the public school system shows yet again, that it's flawed. The only point for school nowadays is to take a damn standardized SBAC or PARCC test. The 3 R's don't apply anymore. It's just "TEST PREP", "PRACTICE TEST," "TEST PREP PART DEUX," "TESTING SESSION." We are raising our next generation to stare at a computer, log on to a test and put headphones over their ears, while mind numbingly going through questions on a test that they were forced to prep for since the beginning of the school year.
I love social studies. I should have taken the AP class instead, because I loved learning about America's history. And it wasn't just WWI, WWII, Vietnam (which should have never happened). It also added some basic information about pop culture of the golden days, which many of the students had never heard of before. Ask fifteen random 15 or 16-year-old students what "I Love Lucy" is. You'll get a bunch of blanks and "I don't know"'s. Sad. I knew who Lucille Ball was when I was in elementary school, and I was barely born in generation Z.