Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Nov 2015, 3:36 pm

NowhereWoman wrote:
The suffix "-ist" also seems to me to mean someone who does or excels at something (although technically the suffix can also mean someone who is immersed in something or has a certain doctrine, etc.)...like artist, pianist, flutist, etc. So it sounds like someone who's good at autism, LOL. "Today, folks, we have a rare treat. We get to listen to the world-famous autist NowhereWoman perform autism as you've NEVER seen and heard before!" (Audience murmurs excitedly amongst themselves. NowhereWoman gets up and starts stimming in perfect rhythm with Flight of the Bumblebee)

This mental image made my day. Thank you.

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2015, 3:46 pm

ASPickle wrote:
NowhereWoman wrote:
The suffix "-ist" also seems to me to mean someone who does or excels at something (although technically the suffix can also mean someone who is immersed in something or has a certain doctrine, etc.)...like artist, pianist, flutist, etc. So it sounds like someone who's good at autism, LOL. "Today, folks, we have a rare treat. We get to listen to the world-famous autist NowhereWoman perform autism as you've NEVER seen and heard before!" (Audience murmurs excitedly amongst themselves. NowhereWoman gets up and starts stimming in perfect rhythm with Flight of the Bumblebee)

This mental image made my day. Thank you.

Heh heh. ;) You're welcome.

IDoH
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2015, 7:59 pm

I don't care. I use both interchangably

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 8:01 pm

I don't feel like a "victim" of autism. I feel like a Spectrumite.

I prefer "with autism"--but I don't get really mad if somebody says "autistic.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 9:38 pm

I understand what you mean Kraftie. But for me it's not feeling like a victim. For me it's that Autism is a huge part of my identity as a person. Because it affects every part of my being, it affects every part of my life not only in bad ways but also in great ways. To me Autism in and of itself is neither good nor bad. It just is. What makes the bad part bad is not the Autism per se, it's the inconsideration of a self centered entitled society.

If society was not so selfish I would not struggle with Autistic and Misophonic responses nearly as much as I do and then the great parts of Autism would be much more prevalent than the bad. For example, if people wore headsets rather than blasting their stereos in a very rude way, I would not struggle with the effects of sound sensitivity nearly as much as I do and life would be so much better. As Tony Attwood says, Aspies don't suffer from Asperger's, they suffer from other people.

So Autism to me means, my brain is built differently, and now I know that my bronchial tubes are built differently and I perceive and process my environment differently. Those are not bad things in and of themselves, they don't make me a victim of Autism. If I am a victim of anything, it is of a rude and self centered society. But since Autism is what makes up such a huge part of my physiological makeup, my brain structure, my breathing apparatus, my way of thinking, feeling, responding, associating with everything and everyone around me, as well as having a great influence on my personality, those things make up my identity. So it just makes more sense to me to consider Autistic as something that I am rather than something that I have.

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 9:44 pm

I get what you mean.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 9:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I get what you mean.

Thanks. :D

Wreck It Ralph

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 10:20 pm

tetris wrote:
Related to the myth/fact thing I'm working on. I have a few questions. I would be very grateful if you could answer them.

Do you prefer autistic or person with autism?

DEFINITELY Autistic- I hate when people say "person with autism" f**k that.

Do you mind if others say person with autism rather than autistic? (This is not when people insist on person with autism, but maybe use both interchangeably)

YES I MIND!

Do you like it if people insist you shouldn't say autistic and should say person with autism instead?

NO! f**k them. My label- you don't get to tell me my reality and how I should identify.

Do you like functioning levels, or would you prefer just autism or aspergers?

I feel that they have some issues, but can be helpful sometimes.

Do you prefer autism spectrum disorder ASD or autism spectrum condition ASC? (I only ask as I've come across asc quite a few times)

I definitely like: Autism Spectrum Condition, I don't like the stigma against AS people and the negativity and baggage associated with "Autism Spectrum 'Disorder'". (although sometimes it does feel more like- autism takes away a lot while giving very little in return)

Thanks.
:D

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 10:26 pm

skibum wrote:
To me Autism in and of itself is neither good nor bad. It just is. What makes the bad part bad is not the Autism per se, it's the inconsideration of a self centered entitled society.

Aspies don't suffer from Asperger's, they suffer from other people.

THIS^^^^^^^^!

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2015, 12:10 pm

Do you prefer autistic or person with autism? Either is fine.

Do you mind if others say person with autism rather than autistic? (This is not when people insist on person with autism, but maybe use both interchangeably) I use them interchangeably and don't mind if others do too.

Do you like it if people insist you shouldn't say autistic and should say person with autism instead? It irritates me.

Do you like functioning levels, or would you prefer just autism or aspergers? I think low/high can be offensive, but there is need for some measurement of severity.

Do you prefer autism spectrum disorder ASD or autism spectrum condition ASC? (I only ask as I've come across asc quite a few times) Again, I don't mind. My mind is different and it causes me trouble. I don't see anything wrong with having a disorder, though I know some people do. I am different and I need different supports - and that's okay.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 1:01 pm

I don't really give a f but, if you said autism spectrum condition I would laugh. It would sound like your trying soo hard no to be offensive that it's funny

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Nov 2015, 1:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't feel like a "victim" of autism. I feel like a Spectrumite.

I prefer "with autism"--but I don't get really mad if somebody says "autistic.

I agree with your first point, but I feel like the second point is inherently in contrast with it. In my mind, person-first language such as "with Autism" makes us sound like victims. I'd love to reconcile these thoughts, though, as I find it causes me much consternation. Semantics and perseveration don't mix well, I suppose.

Spectrumite is a nice middle ground, though a bit of a mouthful for a mumbler like me. I might have to try that label on for size for a while.

I second what skibum is saying (tangentially, skibum, I'm happy to see you posting more again :) ). I just wish "Autistic" hadn't started straying toward a slur in many peoples' minds. As such, I will gladly describe myself as Autistic, if only to start reclaiming the term.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 1:43 pm

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 2:14 pm

Thank you ASPickle. It's nice to hang around a bit. Unfortunately I will be off again since I have to travel and will have no internet. But I am glad to pop in when I can. It's really nice to see you too. :D

Wreck It Ralph

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 4:59 pm

skibum wrote:
Ashariel wrote:
NowhereWoman wrote:
The suffix "-ist" also seems to me to mean someone who does or excels at something (although technically the suffix can also mean someone who is immersed in something or has a certain doctrine, etc.)...like artist, pianist, flutist, etc.

Haha now I want to learn how to play the Aut... We'll make it a double act! :D
Auttastic! LOL! :D

I think autastic is a good word, it's like autistic and fantastic smushed together.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 5:01 pm

tetris wrote:
skibum wrote:
Ashariel wrote:
NowhereWoman wrote:
The suffix "-ist" also seems to me to mean someone who does or excels at something (although technically the suffix can also mean someone who is immersed in something or has a certain doctrine, etc.)...like artist, pianist, flutist, etc.

Haha now I want to learn how to play the Aut... We'll make it a double act! :D
Auttastic! LOL! :D

I think autastic is a good word, it's like autistic and fantastic smushed together.
Thank you! I had the same thought! You know what they say about minds that think alike! :D

Wreck It Ralph