Teen Arrested For Attempted Massacre is Autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 12:20 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/03/us/minnes ... index.html

This is very troubling to me. I wonder why it was necessary for CNN to post that John LaRue from Waseca, Minnesota is on the spectrum. I really, really, really, really, really hope the media is not preparing some kind of autistic witch hunt.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 12:30 pm

Maybe since he didn't make it as far as carrying it out, things can be learned about this issue of mass shootings and that kid can get the help he needs. Then again he'll probably just be locked up with the key thrown away and no attempts at rehabilitation as that is how our justice system works.

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Nov 2015, 1:17 pm

I find no issue with CNN's disclosure of his ASD diagnosis. If anything, it points out how LaDue's Autism was invisible to those around him prior to the court appointed psychologist diagnosing him. I don't find this vilifying. More so a reminder of how wide the spectrum is and how many of us slip through the cracks and end up suffering because of it.

The issue I have with the story is that they mention co-morbid conditions typically being the cause of violent ideation, rather than ASD itself... but then they don't mention any co-morbid conditions with LaDue.

Also, I'm curious what these "10 years of court-ordered treatment" for ASD will entail.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 1:49 pm

ASPickle wrote:
Also, I'm curious what these "10 years of court-ordered treatment" for ASD will entail.

Sounds more like a sentence than treatment.
What if after much fewer than 10 years he is deemed to be back on the right track?

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Nov 2015, 1:52 pm

Raptor wrote:
ASPickle wrote:

Sounds more like a sentence than treatment.
What if after much fewer than 10 years he is deemed to be back on the right track?

That's my fear, too. From the article, it sounded like he would be locked into a treatment facility where (XYZ) would happen, then he would be released to a halfway house in a decade.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 2:21 pm

Even though I am wholly convinced Lanza was autistic maybe what I am about to say is wishing away that an autistic person conceived a plot like this, but where are the autistic traits here? Autistic traits can be become a lot more severe in middle school but thay have to be there in some form since the toddler years. It is not something that springs up out of nowhere in your late teens. LaDue claimes he was never bullied and is a good liar. Many people may not recognize autism but noticibly odd or different is and that is not how he was described. Based on the very limited information what I think happened here is that there was not enough evidence to convict him for the plot and they needed a reason to closely monitor the guy so ASD with violent tendencies was used because it sounded good. Is that even a real diagnosis?

I am not a lawyer but what will it take to convict the guy of plotting a massacre, him carrying the bombs to school? If I were his family or a student in that school I would fear for my safety. Guy seems very good a hiding things about himself, I seriously wonder if he fooling everybody by playing the role of a cooperative patient.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman