Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

arcenciel22
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2015, 12:37 pm

So what are the new treatments that are out there? Gene therapy, TMS, deep TMS, glutathione IV... What else? Have any of you tried any of these treatments? Did they work?
I have tried TMS for my ocd and it did nothing for me. Also have been trying myriads of medication since I was 14 and nothing has ever helped me. I just need to know about a new asperger's treatment breakthrough, is that too much to ask?

Last edited by arcenciel22 on 09 Nov 2015, 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 12:38 pm

Not this BS again.
There's no cure for autism.

danum
Raven
Raven

09 Nov 2015, 12:45 pm

Do people not understand that there's no treatment for autism? You shouldn't even be discussing it. It's like discussing possible treatment for left-handedness, for example. The best way to help people with autism is to find policies and strategies which will help us to more successfully integrate into the mainstream world.

arcenciel22
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2015, 12:53 pm

Cockroach96 wrote:
Not this BS again.
There's no cure for autism.

You don't know that. Years ago people used to believe that it was true for a lot of diseases that are totally curable nowadays. Btw, I didn't even say cure, I said "treatment". And it's not BS. You might be able to handle your condition just fine, but I just can't live with mine anymore. You can't know about other people's struggle.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 12:56 pm

The potential therapies (not cures) that I can see working in future are behavioral/neuro feedback type for training some skill, e.g. social, motor, EF, perhaps TMS (magnetic stim for induced current in brain) or tDCS (direct current stimulation, low current ~1 mA, not electroshock) for symptoms of many disorders like depression/anxiety/ocd but not sure what to target in asd, and stimulation+feedback in training.

I don't see gene therapy working for asd, because there are likely multiple/many genes involved, and gene therapy has not even worked for single gene disorders (there is more hope for single gene disorders, esp with only 1 base change targeted by dna/rna editing enzymes). Chemical treatments would be like treating depression/anxiety, they can perhaps help some people with some symptoms.

arcenciel22
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2015, 1:01 pm

danum wrote:
Do people not understand that there's no treatment for autism? You shouldn't even be discussing it. It's like discussing possible treatment for left-handedness, for example. The best way to help people with autism is to find policies and strategies which will help us to more successfully integrate into the mainstream world.

Well, you say that today. But what if tomorrow they find a really effective treatment for it? I want to be the first person to know about it. That's just why I'm asking, and will continue to ask until I find something that mitigates my suffering.

danum
Raven
Raven

09 Nov 2015, 1:12 pm

arcenciel22 wrote:
danum wrote:

Well, you say that today. But what if tomorrow they find a really effective treatment for it? I want to be the first person to know about it. That's just why I'm asking, and will continue to ask until I find something that mitigates my suffering.

If there were a treatment to become available it would be devastating for people like myself, irrespective of whether or not we even had the treatment. I need my circumstances to change; I need a lot of help in finding a job so that I'm in regular contact with people...I need the opportunity to impress, to show what I can do, the type of person I am etc. etc. etc. etc.

Do you know how difficult it is for me, whatever the social situation, when I'm asked what my job is? I don't know what to say and just clam up. I cannot move beyond this blockage, and receive no help whatsoever.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 1:13 pm

There will never be a cure.
Firstly, autism is not much of a problem for the world, so nobody cares.
Secondly, autism is a physical malformation of the brain. Malformations can't be cured.

arcenciel22
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2015, 1:19 pm

Thank you btbnnyr, this is very enlightening. I just have to ask, what does EF stand for?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 3:23 pm

arcenciel22 wrote:
Thank you btbnnyr, this is very enlightening. I just have to ask, what does EF stand for?

EF is executive functioning, which is things like planning, central control over tasks, task execution, regulating working memory, so like integrating all kinds of information to do something or plan to do something. The frontal lobe is heavily involved in EF, esp. prefrontal cortex which is large in humans. ADHD is associated with dysfunction in frontal lobe. EF is hard to study, because it is high-level cognition and hard to represent in components. But I think that EF is perhaps quite trainable and more so than lower level cognition. Behavioral/neurofeedback would be like getting real-time feedback about your performance on a task + getting real-time feedback in the form of brain waves, then seeing if you can increase performance and regulate your brain waves into certain patterns found to be conducive to performance on a task. It is unknown how people can do this, but they can. Also, if the brain cannot improve performance by itself, electrical stimulation in the form of TMS or tDCS may help while learning the task or doing the task, such that synaptic connections may be trained into the brain over time to strenghten certain circuits and improve performance on certain task. Improving EF would be hugely helpful to people with ADHD and many people with ASD. I think it is good to have open mind towards these types of therapies that could really help many people live how they want to live.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 3:27 pm

First off, you can't cure autism. Second, it's not a disease.

You can help or adjust things for various aspects of autism. But there are no treatments, because they don't even know what causes autism, so how can they treat it.

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2015, 4:10 pm

Wish I knew... These days, the only 'treatment' is a crapload of medicine. I'm on a lot of medicine and it doesn't really help... :(