Yes 42%  42%  [ 23 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
Not sure 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 55

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 11:10 pm

Does anyone else feel like they are supposed to do something "important" (I realize this word is subjective) with their life? I am not talking about bad things which would make you infamous but actions that would contribute to society in a positive way. Maybe starting a business, finding a cure for a disease, forming a killer band, writing a novel, cracking some uncrackable code, raising a stellar kid, discovering some rare specimen of whatever, etc.

I have always had this thought in the back of my mind that I'm supposed to start an innovative business of some kind. While I have thought up many business ideas I always talk myself out of them for some reason or another. My logic kills it before I can take action. I've been called a dilettante more times than I care to mention.

It's kind of an in-joke with friends and family because I'll get obsessed with a business plan (it becomes a special interest) and I'll research it and live it completely for about three months and then drop it. I've started telling myself that I need to stop trying to come up with business ventures but it doesn't work. There's a part of my brain that is always working on those things.

I used to think this might be a universal thing (affecting an equal number of NT's as well) but my therapist said she hears this line of thinking more in her aspie patients. That surprised me. It's a small sample size so maybe it means nothing.

Do you think you will do something important in this life or do you think you're just a cog in a meaningless wheel.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 11:25 pm

I do want to do important things like figure out new things about brain.
What do the people say they want to do?
Do they pursue it?

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 11:37 pm

Good questions. My therapist didn't mention any particulars about the other patient's interests or whether they pursued them. I'll ask her next time, though. I'm not sure what she can tell me with privacy laws and such but maybe I can get some more information.

I hope you can make some great discoveries about the brain. Some areas of my brain need a tune-up :D

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 11:41 am

Boo Radley wrote:
Does anyone else feel like they are supposed to do something "important" (I realize this word is subjective) with their life? I am not talking about bad things which would make you infamous but actions that would contribute to society in a positive way. Maybe starting a business, finding a cure for a disease, forming a killer band, writing a novel, cracking some uncrackable code, raising a stellar kid, discovering some rare specimen of whatever, etc.
I used to think this might be a universal thing (affecting an equal number of NT's as well) but my therapist said she hears this line of thinking more in her aspie patients. That surprised me. It's a small sample size so maybe it means nothing.

Do you think you will do something important in this life or do you think you're just a cog in a meaningless wheel.

I certainly did when I was younger. However, I realized, as an adult, I didn’t have the tools (be it, intelligence, social skills, perseverance, personality, whathaveyou) that would result in doing something really “important”.

As a note, when I say really “important”, I am describing some unique and valuable contribution or accomplishment that goes way above and beyond what others are able to do in a lifetime.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 11:53 am

Epictetus sums this problem up quite well: 'First, say to yourself what you would be, then do what you have to do'.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 12:37 pm

Boo Radley wrote:

One cannot be a cog in a meaningless wheel if one is not part of the meaningless wheel.
But there are an infinite number of wheels, meaningless or not, yet to be invented.
I think there is an advantage to seeing the world from outside of the 'meaningless wheel'.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 1:13 pm

I would like to do something important, but my window of opportunity is rapidly closing. The dilettante thing resonated for me. Too many false starts, and in the end I have to admit I am short on follow-through.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 3:03 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Boo Radley wrote:

I certainly did when I was younger. However, I realized, as an adult, I didn’t have the tools (be it, intelligence, social skills, perseverance, personality, whathaveyou) that would result in doing something really “important”.

As a note, when I say really “important”, I am describing some unique and valuable contribution or accomplishment that goes way above and beyond what others are able to do in a lifetime.

I hear you. I am starting to feel a bit the same way (about not having the tools to do what I want). Although, I still have this slight glimmer of hope that maybe I can make something happen. I think I need to reassess my skill set and hope that can feed into the interests my mind keeps generating.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 3:06 pm

Marybird wrote:
Boo Radley wrote:

One cannot be a cog in a meaningless wheel if one is not part of the meaningless wheel.
But there are an infinite number of wheels, meaningless or not, yet to be invented.
I think there is an advantage to seeing the world from outside of the 'meaningless wheel'.

That is an alternative perspective I had not considered in this instance. Thanks for sharing this.

Hyperborean wrote:
Epictetus sums this problem up quite well: 'First, say to yourself what you would be, then do what you have to do'.

Love this quote. I'm going to print it out for motivation.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 3:16 pm

Have you talked to your therapist about improving the follow through?
Possibly the therapist could help with the thing that seems to be hindering you in carrying out what you want to do.
I say as long as you feel strongly about wanting to do something, go for it and make it top priority to follow through.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 3:19 pm

Boo Radley wrote:

I was about to answer that once I had a family, taking care of them and ensuring my children grow up as happy and functional as possible is my "something important". And then my mind hit that last sentence about a cog in a meaningless wheel. In the bigger scheme (& ignoring things like love, compassion, ethics, morals, etc) needing progeny and needing to care for them is instinctive. And apart from the fact that they are my loved ones, there's nothing currently known that indicates they'll have some important impact on the future (although I do dream good dreams for their lives like any parent). And considering overpopulation, I can't even consider fulfilling that instinct for its own sake as, "important". So, while my family is *exceedingly* important to ME, is it "important" to the world at large? Probably not in the slightest, even for an instant. But then, I've never had my sights set on that level. I've spent much of my life just looking for little pockets of peace, quiet, harmony and creativity. Or making them when I can. Which sorta brings my answer back around to life having exactly as much importance or meaning as you define for yourself. I happen to *like* finding little peaceful nooks, being creative (especially with tech) and raising little monkeys to find enjoyment and love; those are what give my life meaning. So while I may be a cog in a meaningless wheel in the big picture, in the little picture those enjoyments assume I have some level of importance.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 3:27 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I would like to do something important, but my window of opportunity is rapidly closing. The dilettante thing resonated for me. Too many false starts, and in the end I have to admit I am short on follow-through.

I relate to what you are saying about false starts. I've had many of them with the business ideas. My father was an entrepreneur so I wonder if these thoughts are straight from his DNA, so to speak.

I have other obsessions that are easier to engage in and make happen but I would love to do something that could bring in income for my family. I've got a decent job but I'd love to be my own boss.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 3:39 pm

Yes and I will certainly succeed, or die in the process. Either way I'm happy

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 3:48 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Have you talked to your therapist about improving the follow through?
Possibly the therapist could help with the thing that seems to be hindering you in carrying out what you want to do.
I say as long as you feel strongly about wanting to do something, go for it and make it top priority to follow through.

Good suggestion. We just started talking about my obsessions in this area recently. I'm going to consult with her on how I might actually start pursuing these ideas. I know one of my hang-ups is that it has to compute perfectly in my head before I proceed but I'm sure no business plan is ever perfect.

Edenthiel wrote:
Boo Radley wrote:

I was about to answer that once I had a family, taking care of them and ensuring my children grow up as happy and functional as possible is my "something important". And then my mind hit that last sentence about a cog in a meaningless wheel. In the bigger scheme (& ignoring things like love, compassion, ethics, morals, etc) needing progeny and needing to care for them is instinctive. And apart from the fact that they are my loved ones, there's nothing currently known that indicates they'll have some important impact on the future (although I do dream good dreams for their lives like any parent). And considering overpopulation, I can't even consider fulfilling that instinct for its own sake as, "important". So, while my family is *exceedingly* important to ME, is it "important" to the world at large? Probably not in the slightest, even for an instant. But then, I've never had my sights set on that level. I've spent much of my life just looking for little pockets of peace, quiet, harmony and creativity. Or making them when I can. Which sorta brings my answer back around to life having exactly as much importance or meaning as you define for yourself. I happen to *like* finding little peaceful nooks, being creative (especially with tech) and raising little monkeys to find enjoyment and love; those are what give my life meaning. So while I may be a cog in a meaningless wheel in the big picture, in the little picture those enjoyments assume I have some level of importance.

Totally agree with this. The importance is all relative and how you choose to define it for yourself. I sometimes feel like a cog in a meaningless wheel but when I am engaged in something I love and feel like I am contributing in some way then that feeling disappears. :D

I hope I didn't go to deep with the cog in the wheel statement. :oops: I was trying to open up another side of the discussion because I know there are people here who feel a bit more existential about things.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 3:57 pm

starfox wrote:
Yes and I will certainly succeed, or die in the process. Either way I'm happy

+1 Going to adopt your outlook. I know that's a typical aspie thing for me to do but these positive thoughts are helping.

I wish you success in your ventures, btw.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2015, 4:02 pm

Absolutely!

The OP is as if I should have written it myself. That's exactly how I feel.

I've been thinking about theories concerning renicarnation. Some people have theories that you pick your particular life, with its particular challenges, like handicaps and disabilities for instance, because you as a soul have grown so much through past lives that you deliberately picked those challenges to grow from them.

I.e they believe that when you die, you regain memories from all past lives and evaluate your journey. Then you pick a kind of life for your next incarnation that could provide challenges for further growth. As you incarnate, your memory is wiped so you won't repeat mistakes from previous lives or deal with baggage that could keep you stuck in a rut so to speak.

This theory is a bit controversial in that some people can be offended by it. Especially concerning people with serious disabilities.
But on the other hand, as a personal belief for someone with a disability, it can give a sense of purpose to existence, and a way to deal with it. It doesn't seem so "why me?" anymore.

Because let's face it: we've all thought "why me?".

Also, because this theory claims someone deliberately picked a challenging life, then the more serious the handicap, the more spiritually advanced that person is.

I think it's an interesting way that turns the tide a bit, since many people tend to have little regard for those with disabilities. With this theory, those people are old, experienced souls.

I think all life has important purpose, and it's also important not to trivialize the lives of those who appear to have it easy. You know: good looks, no mental or physical disabilities, great social skills, lots of friends etc...
The people who seem to "have it all" often have some hidden curse that might be what's meant to stimulate growth for them in this life.

In closing, I want to say that I don't necessary believe this theory is true, just that I think it is an interesting take on disabilities and purpose, and gives meaning to an existence that some times can seem meaningless.

My apologies if this philosophical/religious perspective diverts from the purpose of the thread, it's just what came to mind and I felt like sharing it :)