Does anyone wonder how much o'their body.lang is from media?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 2:43 pm

Thinking back to yesterday while doing some homework, I felt impulsed to look up the first episode of 'Black sails' for scene where two dudes are heatedly talking on a boat an the lines go something like..

"..because civilization is coming Billy!,and we need to rally behind a king."
"but we don't have a king"
"I'm your king!"

It made me think not only (i)how a (thinking about a video on the 'Every frame a picture' youtube about Robin Williams channel) the narrator said how a lot of what is considered acting is blocking and (seeming to be) listening. While i think that everyone including neuronormatives, at one point in there life were into emulating the facial expressions and body language which they saw in media, I have a feeling that for ppl on the spectrum it might be particularly resonating seeing as how it's ("quality" aside) a source from where expressive body communication can be learned, b/c in a lot of acting, a lack of ambiguity is something of a goal very often, even if in trying to emulate it you might come off as over-exaggerating or forceful to others.

:| I myself kind of of wonder,what "percentage" of body language which I convey is authentically more actually my own than emulations of the more provocative points in anime and movies.

I'm wondering what anyone here thinks.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 3:43 pm

I've found I'm as oblivious to body language on TV, as I am in real life.

One time I turned on the audio narration for blind people, and I was amazed at how it described the actors' body language and facial expressions. It pointed out so many things that I would otherwise have missed - like the fact that a man was being 'threatening' by standing too close to a woman (I wouldn't have noticed that), and someone's facial expression was described as 'slowly coming to a realization' about an important clue to the mystery (I thought they were just confused!)

I usually can't tell the characters apart either, for at least an hour into the show... I think I understand about 70% of what goes on in an average TV show, which is kind of sad!

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 2:20 am

Ashariel wrote:

One time I turned on the audio narration for blind people, and I was amazed at how it described the actors' body language and facial expressions. It pointed out so many things that I would otherwise have missed - like the fact that a man was being 'threatening' by standing too close to a woman (I wouldn't have noticed that), and someone's facial expression was described as 'slowly coming to a realization' about an important clue to the mystery (I thought they were just confused!)

I usually can't tell the characters apart either, for at least an hour into the show... I think I understand about 70% of what goes on in an average TV show, which is kind of sad!

Thank you for saying this and bringing up audio narration Ashariel. It gives me at least one good idea. appreciate it.

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 2:23 am

Ashariel wrote:

I appreciate how you shared this Ashariel. Bringing up audio narration is a keen thing imo. Thank you greatly.