Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 10:57 am

Angnix wrote:
It's 1 and a half hour one way by car... And I don't even own a car right now, though I have a license and can drive. I live in a small town with little opportunity.

My experience is in relation to birds, teaching about them and doing field research of wild birds.

I also say go for it. My best friend is also a bird expert and I know those bird jobs are few and far between. To be in that field, you have to expect to put up with a lot, like lower pay and long drives. From what I understand, it's more than worth it. My friend is an avian zookeeper and I've never seen her happier or more fulfilled. She sometimes gets to do really cool things with birds and bird training. She had a time like you're talking about now where she had to suck it up and take a risk to get to where she is now. In fact, she's kind of doing that again to get more training to have more responsibilities with birds.

I had to look at the Obamacare website once. If it's just you, you could probably find coverage for 100 bucks a month, which isn't bad if you're working. I'm going by memory here. You would have more providers you could go to, but may have a deductible. You should get someone who works in that field to look at it with you, or make a post on here. I can explain some of it, because I used to work in healthcare.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 12:08 pm

I didn't apply to that job, but I wish I did! Because now we are kicked out of our house for a stupid reason (we feel bad our rent is too high) so now I would take a job anywhere then move there, but my experience is so specialized I don't know what to do!! !

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2015, 5:05 am

Angnix wrote:
I talked to my caseworker and she was afraid we would loose our medicaid, I guess we have to remain poor for medical coverage, I thought there was obamacare?

If you make too much money, you don't qualify for the expanded medicaid. If your employer doesn't give you insurance, then you're supposed to buy insurance off of the Obamacare insurance marketplace thingy. If I had to do that, it'd cost me almost $150/month for a $7,000 deductible. It's the poverty trap in action...

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 3:43 pm

Another question, what if someone posts a position again a month later? I actually applied to a masters assistantship a month ago hearing nothing back from them, but now they reposted the position again. nobody they are interested in, or trying to find a few more people before the closing date? My husband thought I had to apply again.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 3:15 pm

Angnix wrote:
Another question, what if someone posts a position again a month later? I actually applied to a masters assistantship a month ago hearing nothing back from them, but now they reposted the position again. nobody they are interested in, or trying to find a few more people before the closing date? My husband thought I had to apply again.

What is a masters assistantship? To me it sounds like one of those jobs you can only get if you're in grad school in a particular program.

What it means if they repost could be several things. Maybe they offered the position to someone, but that person didn't accept it. Maybe they accepted but changed their mind. Maybe they actually found they had enough work, and enough funding, for two people, the original and the current posting. Also whether you have to re-apply is unclear, and may depend on the circumstances. A phone call to the contact person would clear that up, and also give you some intel as to whether you are even eligible for the position.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 11:43 am

I have another question... I applied to a nice apprenticeship and I asked a question on the application. They emailed back with a lengthy reply. Are they interested or not? I tried to look up an answer and a lengthy reply in an interview is good, but in this situation?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 11:48 am

They are interested, or they would not have bothered to reply. Don't build that up too much in your mind, but yes, you at least made it past the "toss away immediately" stage.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 12:32 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
They are interested, or they would not have bothered to reply. Don't build that up too much in your mind, but yes, you at least made it past the "toss away immediately" stage.

I've had jobs about birds of prey (teaching) I've had bird research jobs... This is a bird of prey research internship, I would actually be surprised if they did throw it out.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 11:33 am

Angnix wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

I've had jobs about birds of prey (teaching) I've had bird research jobs... This is a bird of prey research internship, I would actually be surprised if they did throw it out.

And... They call me out of the blue and interview me... But they pick out a few to do second interviews... I'll keep you posted.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 12:25 pm

Good luck! Looks promising. Is this the one with a long commute?

Don't worry about that part, you can probably do some kind of carpooling.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 6:59 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Good luck! Looks promising. Is this the one with a long commute?

Don't worry about that part, you can probably do some kind of carpooling.

This is not the commute one, but one that would involve a move... They have free housing, but not for hubby! Don't know what to do, we can't afford the rent there.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 3:45 am

Angnix wrote:
I have another question... I applied to a nice apprenticeship and I asked a question on the application. They emailed back with a lengthy reply. Are they interested or not? I tried to look up an answer and a lengthy reply in an interview is good, but in this situation?

It is quite likely that this is just a copy-paste reply, which is neither good nor bad.
One thing you can get from the answer: The position isn't filled yet, but do not assume that they are interested in you personally, just becouse you get a long reply

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 8:16 am

I factored in my ssi disability, the stipend, and I would only get 150 more a month, that would solve none of my problems and I would be away from my husband for a year.

I found an ad for a humble trailor that needs work with cheap rent, but its close to my relatives, the zoo where I could volunteer, and my relatives know how to work on places like that. My husband hates it just because it's a mobile home.

But I'm trying to use imagination, its 25 minute drive to the zoo, a zoo that was interested in me in the past, rent cheap enough we could get a car, etc...