Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

piiigs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2015, 5:28 am

Hi, I don't cry much at all. Even as a baby I didn't cry much which my mother thought it was normal then had really hard time with my NT sister. However I sometime have these rush of emotions when I watch a puppy dying or something like that. I usually manages not to cry but my eyes get all red.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 5:44 am

Uncle wrote:
InsomniaGrl wrote:
Do you cry often? I hardly ever cry, though i am upset and sad often. The last time i cried was briefly after someone i liked left where i work. That was not in work but at home afterwords. Rarely i shed a tear at some almost random not even necessarily sad thing in a film or something, but other than that nothing.
When i was about 15 i cried myself to sleep almost every night. Maybe having wet pillows and nothing changing made me stop bothering with crying.
What kinds of things do you cry at?

Good point! I myself seldom cry.. I feel in public it just draws more unnecessary attention to myself and makes an overwhelming situation more intense.. I have learnt as i have matured, to withhold those feelings.. Internally i am crying like a baby, but on the outside i may just show a blank expression, like a deer in headlights! sometimes that dear's eyes may water a little and maybe on very rare occasions a single tear may fall, but suppress those emotions when i feel it building up to a point i know i will break down, my crying face looks like a squashed Sasquatch! So i make sure if i do, to remove myself from the situation that has caused it and go home and lock my bedroom door, where i will deal with it verbally by talking to myself... Again i think this is down to practice as another area is with Adrenalin. As for instance someone coming up behind you to give you a shock, i will feel the sudden increase in adrenaline but then psychologically suppress it and erase it like a rubber.. This i learnt through surfing, as there are many times you are faced with life/death situations and panicking will only lead to a negative outcome.. We, as surfers have to suppress those feelings to cope with instant situations of overwhelming feelings to keep our heart rate at a normal pace so as in effect not drown when bowled over by a large wave... Many of us have also learnt in such a situation to go into an instant meditation, to control the heart rate so as not to use too much oxygen in the system.. I think this has helped me a lot with my Asperger's, as i feel i may have learnt these techniques to cope in sea and on land.. So for me, crying is an extension of the suppression techniques i have learnt, and being fearless as a child, as i was pretty nutty when it came to climbing trees or skateboarding down the road, but again learnt to deal with any sudden feeling of heightened emotion... I believe possibly like many on the spectrum, that many individuals have learnt to internalize said emotions as a coping mechanism.. But to someone viewing you face to face may feel you don't care of are emotionless when in fact you have the potential to feel such emotions in such a heightened way that the only way to control it is to learn to suppress it.

So yes i do cry a lot internally, but externally i will be plain faced and often mute as i am trying to concentrate on not letting my emotions overwhelm me to show it in a social situation... Wish i was able to have to suppress overwhelming joy, but alas it seems to be one emotion i rarely if ever get to feel.

Interesting read :)