Massive Episodic Memorie Deficit?! How About You?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Read post first! Do you have Episodic Memory Deficits?
Yes, I have Episodic Memory deficits. 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
No, my episodic memory is normal or even superb. 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3

omid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2015, 10:06 am

I just figured out that I have massive Episodic Memory(read below for meaning) deficits. It's killing me. It makes me feel like I have no Identity (no past = no Identity) and causes me a constant state of panic. I also change my mind about everything constantly because I forget my own ideas and opinions.
I can remember stuff. In fact my Semantic Memory (remembering facts) is over the top I know many things. I'm like a livin wikipedia. But I can't remember my past in any organized or ordered way. If someone gives me a hint on a certain situation, I MIGHT remember that certain occasion. But I won't be able to say when it happened. Was it 3 weeks ago? or 3 years ago? no Idea! If you ask me what happened in your last vacation, I won't be able to say more than 3 simple occurrences! I don't know s**t about my teenage years (like name of teachers), childhood. any of my birthday parties. anything.
I know facts like in 1999 I moved to Germany. But how did I enter Germany. What was my impression. I know NOTING. Again, I know the fact that I entered Germany through air. but again, I have no memory of it. I only remember facts.
This problem makes me a complete nutjob. I change my mind every few days about important stuff. I do not have a sense of Identity. Every morning when I wake up I have to ask someone what date we have or what day of the week it is (in fact I look up the date several times per day.)

Do you have a similar issue? is it common with AS / Autism??? Copypasta¹ says it may be.....

¹Copypasta:

Wikpedia wrote:
Based on a review of behavioral studies, it is suggested that there may be selective damage to the limbic-prefrontal episodic memory system in some people with autism.[22] Another study points to evidence of autistic deficits in the episodic or self-conscious memory of personally experienced events (Joseph et al., 2003).

Wikpedia wrote:
Episodic memory is the memory of autobiographical events (times, places, associated emotions, and other contextual who, what, when, where, why knowledge) that can be explicitly stated. It is the collection of past personal experiences that occurred at a particular time and place. For example, if you remember the party on your 6th birthday, this is an episodic memory. They allow you to figuratively travel back in time to remember the event that took place at that particular time and place

Possibly Aspie (diagnosed by an autism expert, doc moves abroad, forced to change docs and all say it's schizophrenia NOS or schizo-affective disorde or personality disorders. initial doc was a colleague of uncle Simon btw. you do the math.). (edit: by Uncle Simon I mean Simon Baron Cohen. Just to clear things up.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 10:08 am

My mother seems to have forgotten large segments of her life because of some sort of trauma.

omid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2015, 10:17 am

That's what they tried to push on me all the time but I suppose that's not the case. I did lots of therapy. It didn't work. I truely hope it's trauma because if it's not I'm screwed but I did lots of therapy and they couldn't do anything. They even did more harm than good. They kept inventing fictitious stuff that were supposed to be the reason for my problems and tried to damage my relationship to my family and such which were all wrong. I really do hope this is trauma. I really do. But I just cant find any grave trauma.

Possibly Aspie (diagnosed by an autism expert, doc moves abroad, forced to change docs and all say it's schizophrenia NOS or schizo-affective disorde or personality disorders. initial doc was a colleague of uncle Simon btw. you do the math.). (edit: by Uncle Simon I mean Simon Baron Cohen. Just to clear things up.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 10:38 am

Same with my mother. She's been in therapy for over 50 years.

She's a therapist herself, in fact.

With similar results as your results.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 11:05 am

I have no memory deficits that I am aware of. Short term memory seems to be an issue for quick recollections, but it is there. It just takes a while to process and sort it before it get's committed to memory.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8