New Obsessions/Perseverations causing depression?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Sylfa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Nov 2015, 2:13 pm

I have my first new obsession/Perseveration in two years. It's with an anime called The Seven Deadly Sins (or more specifically with the character Meliodas.)
I'd forgotten the feeling.
When watching it I'm on this great high. I'm incredibly happy then, but when I'm not doing anything related to a new obsession I get horrible anxiety and depression.
Once an obsessions is no longer new and "settles", as I call it, my mood stabilizes. But the new phase can last for months.
I don't really remember how to deal with these huge swings in mood. It's 2:12pm and I'm still in bed in so depressed.

Does anyone else get this way with new perseverations/obsessions?
How do you deal with it?

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 2:58 pm

I understand. I get that too. I wish I had obsessions like yours tho. I don't really handle mine well.

Sylfa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Nov 2015, 4:20 pm

I wouldn't exactly say I handle mine well. I tend to blow my entire bank account on stuff related to it and talk about it so much that my friends stop hanging out with me until it settles down

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 4:30 pm

Sylfa wrote:
I wouldn't exactly say I handle mine well. I tend to blow my entire bank account on stuff related to it and talk about it so much that my friends stop hanging out with me until it settles down

That's tough. I wish I could give helpful advice. I often have to distract myself with other things, but it is only a distraction so it's temporary.
People say switch your obsession to something else but that's easy to say and hard to do.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 4:43 pm

Without obsessions I find that I am usually depressed.

Below is an encapsulation of my past interests/obsessions:

2012 - Football/Cricket/David Lynch films/Suicide
2013 - Suicide/Words
2014 - Words/Health and fitness
2015 - There hasn't been one :(

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 6:09 pm

My obsessions run in cycles and always center on a few things.
1. Models
2. Sound equipment/technology
3. Hong Kong movies
4. Independent creative endeavors (And that has sub categories)

Right now, my model thing is beginning to kick in. I was reading articles and one of them was on the Ford '67 GT 500. Now, I'm not a car guy. But certain designs are just good. This was one of them. So, off I go to ebay and find other models to get. Bought two, waiting on the third. My fascination with cars stems from the fact that I loved all the goofy Scifi shows and cartoons with the crazy futuristic cars. The first two I bought were 1960's concept cars from the 60's. The third I'm waiting on is a 1/8 scale Harley. Not a motorcycle guy either. Just love the designs of certain things. Cars, Bikes, Planes, Scifi, etc, etc.....

Kicker is that I did not find the Ford Mustang I looked for (That I could afford). So, can't stop until I find that one. It's out there. Just gotta be patient. And, that I can be.

Those in between times, I'm just lost. Completely lost.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 8:55 pm

My obsessions don't cause me depression. In fact, it's the opposite. Once I've finished with an obsession I get depressed until something new comes along. Luckily, for the past few years, my obsessions haven't changed; in fact, if anything, they grow new legs.

My obsessions: Jainism, Autism, Capital Punishment and Torture throughout the ages.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 9:08 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
.....Torture throughout the ages.

Ever have one of times when you just go on tangents instantly? This would be one.
As soon as I read the above, I instantly flashed on a comic I used to read in the 80's. It was 2000AD from Britain. Gave us such goodies as Judge Dredd. Anyway, there was a comic strip called "Nemesis the Warlock ". The main character was 'Torquemada' (now you see where the connection is to 'Torture'). The main slogan of the character was:

I don't know why I felt obligated to share that.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 9:14 pm

^Hee hee. Can you imagine if they made a movie of one of my favourite books, Martyrs Mirror? The film would be so graphic that it'd be banned in every country except, maybe, Bora Bora or something.