Page 2 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 8:06 pm

nutbag wrote:
This is one of those crazy things, you know, who would do that? I had no idea of such a thing until I read of it. Then I found that I do flap my hands. Holy Ned.

And I can flap 'em good when I am excited. No wonder everyone thinks I'm a bit off! lol! Autistic fun! And it is free too.

Ha, ha! I had the same experience! I thought, geez, that's nuts, I don't do that... and then I caught myself doing it! I asked my husband, and he said I do it all the time. :oops: It just comes so naturally that I never noticed it.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 8:10 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:
I don't hand flap either. For one, it'd be totally embarrassing. And two, it's definitely not considered "normal" as most people view me.

Um define normal ?Who cares about normal, I don't. And it isn't like it is something you can just think, damn this is embarrassing, I think I will stop my flapping now. :roll: :lol:

You don't understand. If someone sees me doing something "unnatural" or anyone around me, I'll get really paranoid. And that's saying something since I love being around people. It's from being harrassed all those years. Those jerks picked on me for any little thing!

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 8:12 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:
I don't hand flap either. For one, it'd be totally embarrassing. And two, it's definitely not considered "normal" as most people view me.

Um define normal ?Who cares about normal, I don't. And it isn't like it is something you can just think, damn this is embarrassing, I think I will stop my flapping now. :roll: :lol:

A few others here DID say it could be consciously controlled.

HECK, this morning I was in an area with about 3 feet of open space around me(One of the easiest to see near the doors of the room) in a room of approximately 110 in a meeting. I WAS rocking, etc... It was subtle, and probably didn't look very odd. IMAGINE if I had flapped! OH MAN! If the rocking WAS out of place, I could have stopped.

Steve

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 8:26 pm

The archetypical "flap" gesture is very much akin to what a woman might do with her hands if she's just painted her nails and the polish isn't drying fast enough to suit her.

I never flapped. I do note myself occasionally clenching my right fist every once and awhile, however. I think that's normal, though.... I am right-handed, and when most people reach a certain point of irritation their dominant hand will indeed form a fist.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 8:33 pm

I never thought I "flapped" but when I was really busy at work and rushing around,I did for a few seconds and was pretty suprised....it was brief ,automatic and not a big deal,seemed to calm me a little to continue my mad dashing around to get the work done.I do wring my hands when discussing up setting things...I just see it as a form of "self-message,like rubbing my neck...it helps me relax and I see nothing odd or dysfunctional about it.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 8:39 pm

Here's a thread on this from a month ago (3 pages):
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ht=flapped

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 8:47 pm

I hand flap and jig when I am happy or upset.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Apr 2007, 8:51 pm

ive never handflapped, ive played with my fingers though, wich is sortof like handflapping what i do is relax the hand and shake my hand until my fingers snap against each other. ahahaha i cant believe im telling you this :D

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 8:55 pm

^ I just tried it, and it seems like hand-flapping to me.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 2:50 am

I met a teenager a few nights ago who hand-flapped quite a bit down my local pub. Him and his dad were from the north-east and were on a trip down here. The lad had a very high-pitched squeaky voice, almost to the point where you couldn't hear what he was saying. He had to be looked after by his dad all the time. Some of the people there questioned the wisdom of bringing him to the pub amongst themselves but there you go.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 3:03 am

yep...i flap sometimes...might have done it more when I was a kid.
I do it when i get excited about something

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 3:12 am

Balled into a fist and waved quickly and menacingly around.

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 3:19 am

I don't flap, but I do rock, and recently I've been having a lot of outbursts.

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 3:24 am

What about severe defensiveness?

I get really really defensive. Even a friendly word can be taken as an attack.

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 4:09 am

I kind of flap my hands but with closed fists, when I'm excited. And I wiggle my fingers when I'm thinking about what I'm going to do next.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 6:34 am

I have some wild hand movements and sayings when I'm at home but I suppresses it when I'm out. It is usually when I'm excited. I pace when I'm anxious. When I'm out or whatever I like to follow patterns with my fingers. Sometimes I have been know to follow the patterns on the carpet if there is nothing elbow height. I don't think at my age I should be doing that lol.