Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Maxxstar2
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2015, 7:13 pm

I love cartoon, comics, manga, anime and Disney stuff, and I want to be a voice actor

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 10:38 am

I think that would be fun----you could make alot of money, but nobody would know what you looked like, so the paparazzi wouldn't bother you!!

In case you don't know how to get started, here's some links:

http://www.essortment.com/become-voice-actor-230134.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

http://voicechasers.com/

AspieAlphys28
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2015, 4:13 pm

voice acting would be awesome!! im planning on it myself, next to being a storyboard artist and maybe even start a cartoon on my own!! have you seen the documentary "I Know That Voice!" ? it was created by John DiMaggio (one of my personal heroes) and is amazing if you want to know anything about the industry!! ! i highly reccomend it :D

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

░█▀▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀█
░█░░░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀░░░█
░░▀▄░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▄▀
░░░░▌░▄▄░░░▄▄░▐▀▀
░░░▐░░█▄░░░▄█░░▌▄▄▀▀▀▀█
░░░▌▄▄▀▀░▄░▀▀▄▄▐░░░░░░█
▄▀▀▐▀▀░▄▄▄▄▄░▀▀▌▄▄▄░░░█
█░░░▀▄░█░░░█░▄▀░░░░█▀▀▀
░▀▄░░▀░░▀▀▀░░▀░░░▄█▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄░▀▄
░░░█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█▄█░░▄▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄█▀

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 9:20 am

I've never done voice acting myself, but it is a field that I want to break into eventually, and I have done some research on it already. As an actor and current theatre major at University, here is my advice

Do you have any previous acting experience, whether that be on stage or in front of a camera?

If yes, then congratulations, you've already taken the first steps.

If not, then you will find it very hard if not impossible to find and get work as a voice actor. The reason for this is having a nice sounding voice is only a part of it. Unless you are able to convey the thoughts, emotions, feelings, and intentions of your character through your voice, then you are just reading a script and not bringing a character to life. It might not make sense, but you need to understand the fundamentals of acting before you take on voice acting, which is an entirely different animal from stage acting and camera acting. You are competing with voice actors who have either been in the field a long time or have had extensive training in acting.

When you get a character, you have to 100% know and understand these things as part of your character breakdown. This is a process that I go through every time I get a role.

Who they are.
- I mean that as what kind of a character they are, not literally "I am *character name here*".
What do they want?
- Meaning what is the one thing the character wants in the script?
How do they get what they want?
- Meaning what actions do they take to get the thing they want?
What is their super objective?
- Meaning what is the one thing they want to achieve by the end of the script?
What are their objectives?
- Meaning in each scene or moment, what are they doing to try an achieve their super objective?
Where are they?
- Are they in a city, a small country town, the forest, on a boat?
What is the world of the play, script, etc?
- Is this set in modern times, the future, the 1940's, Elizabethan England?
What is keeping them from achieving their objectives?
- Meaning what is the conflict or issue that is keeping them from achieving their super objective? Is it another character, something about them, their social class, etc?
What is their character arc?
- Does their character change at all? For example, do they go from being a mean person to a nice person?

If you are serious about voice acting, then you'll have to learn the business and practice your craft. I would suggest taking acting classes, learn how the business works from industry professionals either directly or indirectly, get a good demo reel prepared, and keep an eye out for casting/audition notices either through subscription services or social media groups. It's not as easy as everyone seems to think, but if you really work hard at improving your craft, then it is very possible to make it as a voice actor. :)

If you have any other questions, let me know or feel free to PM me.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 2:17 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I think that would be fun----you could make alot of money, but nobody would know what you looked like, so the paparazzi wouldn't bother you!!

In case you don't know how to get started, here's some links:

http://www.essortment.com/become-voice-actor-230134.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

http://voicechasers.com/

generally, no one would prolly recognize you on the streets.
but these days, popular actors/actresses do voice overs-- in video games and cartoons, anime, maybe commercials.

and the average VO artist would still only be recognized by the fans of the show the artist did.
example... if i gave you the name Sonny Strait... you wouldn't know who he was unless you were a big DBZ fan.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity