Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 161

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2015
Posts: 697

01 Dec 2015, 3:07 am

I've seen this before



NerdyAnimeGirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2015
Posts: 55
Location: Cali

01 Dec 2015, 3:51 am

I disagree with people who hate on so-called 'sociopaths'.
Just because someone doesn't empathize about the things society expects them to,
doesn't mean they can't feel empathy for things they care about.


_________________
aspie~ ☕ : 142/200
neurotypical : 77/200
you are very likely neurodiverse (aspie)


Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,818

01 Dec 2015, 3:09 pm

Sociopaths exploit other people for their own benefit without caring. They are very socially adept at doing that.

Autistic people have communication problems and may lack the instinct or understanding to express empathy or emotions, but do care and will not exploit others.



kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,180

01 Dec 2015, 4:38 pm

Well, as Marybird had stated that many sociopaths are more egocentric and possibly narcissistic as well.
I'll be wholeheartedly honest when I was in High School I remember a student in my English calling me not only sociopath but, even a psychopath as to him he said, that I exhibited all the classic clinical signs as such.
Unfortunately, for me I tend to take a somewhat different approach in that I'd rather be law abiding and be someone whom puts the bad guys behind bars or helps to make that happens.


_________________
I'm an extremely vulnerable person. Vulnerability and emotion are very closely linked.


Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Sep 2015
Age: 29
Posts: 579
Location: On the Edge of...

01 Dec 2015, 7:46 pm

NerdyAnimeGirl wrote:
I disagree with people who hate on so-called 'sociopaths'.
Just because someone doesn't empathize about the things society expects them to,
doesn't mean they can't feel empathy for things they care about.

Are you kidding me? Sociopaths are nigh evil incarnate. They manipulate and twist and connive for their own means 1000xs worse than your average NT and don't feel any obligation to others or social ties like NTs usually do, they care about themselves and their goals only.
One of the defining characteristics of a psycho or sociopaths is that they lack empathy. They don't feel it nor do they act on empathy.
They are almost the exact opposite of Aspies in a way. Aspie couldn't manipulate themselves out of a wet paperbag, but sociopaths are NOTORIOUSLY good at screwing with people in ways that are very very detrimental to the other persons around them.
Hence, why people hate them. Also, they feel no remorse or shame about what they've done as long as they've gotten what they want to matter the cost to other people.
Aspies may be UNAWARE, but aren't conscious-less. Sociopaths are harmful. Aspies... while they can be mostly are totally harmless and if anything more likely BE abused than to be the abusers.
Sociopaths are often abusers of some kind.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,047
Location: temperate zone

01 Dec 2015, 8:11 pm

NerdyAnimeGirl wrote:
I disagree with people who hate on so-called 'sociopaths'.
Just because someone doesn't empathize about the things society expects them to,
doesn't mean they can't feel empathy for things they care about.


You apparently dont understand the meaning of the word "empathy".

Actually most folks get confused, but you're even MORE confused than most! :D

To "empathize" means to imagine the feelings of others. To "sympathize" means to have similiar feelings and be concerned for others.

Autistics supposedly lack empathy, but they do have sympathy: they have concern for the unfortunate, but they have trouble understanding the people around them. They cant get into someone else's head to imagine where theyre coming from.

Sociopaths have empathy, but no sympathy. The know how you think/feel, but they use that to their own ends to exploit you.

Neither empathy, nor sympathy, means "caring about stuff in general".

Not caring about football has nothing directly to do with having a lack of empathy, nor does caring about collecting arrowheads in lieu of caring about football mean you have balanced out your empathy!Niether persuit has anything to do with empathy, or the lack thereof.



wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,940

01 Dec 2015, 8:13 pm

So much misinformation in the article itself and in the comments. There are apparently a lot of stupid sociopaths out there who know nothing about themselves or about AS, but have no trouble sharing their stupid opinions about both. Suppose I shouldn't be surprised by that.



NerdyAnimeGirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2015
Posts: 55
Location: Cali

02 Dec 2015, 5:45 am

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
NerdyAnimeGirl wrote:
I disagree with people who hate on so-called 'sociopaths'.
Just because someone doesn't empathize about the things society expects them to,
doesn't mean they can't feel empathy for things they care about.

Are you kidding me? Sociopaths are nigh evil incarnate.

Sounds like you might have a lack of empathy for sociopaths.
Sociopath, as defined by google dictionary~

so·ci·o·path (noun) ~ a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

I think a lot of people have a villainous, fictitious view of what sociopaths actually are.
A lot of people who screw others over aren't this 'mystical' thing called a sociopath. I've lent money to a number of people and never been paid back. I've helped a lot of people who later screwed me over. Do I think any of them were incapable of empathy? Not really.

Most people just chose the path of least resistance (the easy path) which is to not do the 'honorable' thing (i.e. the hard path -- to pay someone back, or to feel indebted or grateful to one who helped you)... and it's foolish to expect people to be honorable in a harsh world. Evolution dictates survival of the fittest. Mother nature is the biggest sociopath of them all.


_________________
aspie~ ☕ : 142/200
neurotypical : 77/200
you are very likely neurodiverse (aspie)


Last edited by NerdyAnimeGirl on 02 Dec 2015, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,180

02 Dec 2015, 7:08 am

Thought provoking.


_________________
I'm an extremely vulnerable person. Vulnerability and emotion are very closely linked.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,047
Location: temperate zone

02 Dec 2015, 7:55 am

NerdyAnimeGirl wrote:
Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
NerdyAnimeGirl wrote:
I disagree with people who hate on so-called 'sociopaths'.
Just because someone doesn't empathize about the things society expects them to,
doesn't mean they can't feel empathy for things they care about.

Are you kidding me? Sociopaths are nigh evil incarnate.

Sounds like you might have a lack of empathy for sociopaths.
Sociopath, as defined by google dictionary~

so·ci·o·path (noun) ~ a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.
.[/b]


Exactly.

That what Unfortunate said. You just slit your own throat and proved him right.



zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 60
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

02 Dec 2015, 8:36 am

SkyHeart wrote:
http://www.sociopathworld.com/2008/11/pretending-to-be-normal.html

Wow...what a rant. And, the comments weren't much better overall. Seemed like an attack more than anything. And, and attack based off bad information.

oof.....


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8


NerdyAnimeGirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2015
Posts: 55
Location: Cali

02 Dec 2015, 9:51 am

kazanscube wrote:
Thought provoking.

Thanks ^__^


_________________
aspie~ ☕ : 142/200
neurotypical : 77/200
you are very likely neurodiverse (aspie)


kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,180

02 Dec 2015, 11:12 am

Your most welcome as, I could go into great detail about this topic in a comprehensive fashion however, my typing are not the greatest therefore, there are times when I keep my responses shortened. Never less I fully understood your point and agree with such.


_________________
I'm an extremely vulnerable person. Vulnerability and emotion are very closely linked.


Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2013
Age: 1021
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,863
Location: Erehwon

02 Dec 2015, 12:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
NerdyAnimeGirl wrote:
Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
NerdyAnimeGirl wrote:
I disagree with people who hate on so-called 'sociopaths'.
Just because someone doesn't empathize about the things society expects them to,
doesn't mean they can't feel empathy for things they care about.

Are you kidding me? Sociopaths are nigh evil incarnate.

Sounds like you might have a lack of empathy for sociopaths.
Sociopath, as defined by google dictionary~

so·ci·o·path (noun) ~ a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.
.[/b]


Exactly.

That what Unfortunate said. You just slit your own throat and proved him right.


Yes, "lack of conscience" does seem like a rather important detail.



wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,940

02 Dec 2015, 4:25 pm

NerdyAnimeGirl wrote:
Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
NerdyAnimeGirl wrote:
I disagree with people who hate on so-called 'sociopaths'.
Just because someone doesn't empathize about the things society expects them to,
doesn't mean they can't feel empathy for things they care about.

Are you kidding me? Sociopaths are nigh evil incarnate.

Sounds like you might have a lack of empathy for sociopaths.
Sociopath, as defined by google dictionary~

so·ci·o·path (noun) ~ a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

I think a lot of people have a villainous, fictitious view of what sociopaths actually are.
A lot of people who screw others over aren't this 'mystical' thing called a sociopath. I've lent money to a number of people and never been paid back. I've helped a lot of people who later screwed me over. Do I think any of them were incapable of empathy? Not really.

Most people just chose the path of least resistance (the easy path) which is to not do the 'honorable' thing (i.e. the hard path -- to pay someone back, or to feel indebted or grateful to one who helped you)... and it's foolish to expect people to be honorable in a harsh world. Evolution dictates survival of the fittest. Mother nature is the biggest sociopath of them all.


Actually the idea that mother nature values self-interest more than cooperation does not apply to social species--if you belong to a social species altruism and cooperation are more valuable because they help to continue the survival of the group over the individual. A strong population that cooperates well is more likely to survive and perpetuate itself through reproduction and maintenance of the group, while self-interest and lack of cooperation are destructive to the group. Self interest is really only useful as a guiding principle to animals that live independently, like lone predators. So in the case of humans, self-interest is in fact unnatural and has a greater cost to the community than altruism and cooperation do. Sociopaths are destructive influences on the community because they place their own individual value above their community and undermine it's cohesion.