Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 11:27 pm

I'm a dog lover and all that but one thing that literally drives me crazy is when a dog hums up on me. There's something I find,that gets me very anxious when they do that. I especially hate it's unexpected. Are you like that too around dogs?

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 12:30 am

infilove wrote:
I'm a dog lover and all that but one thing that literally drives me crazy is when a dog hums up on me. There's something I find,that gets me very anxious when they do that. I especially hate it's unexpected. Are you like that too around dogs?

I usually kneel down preemptively and pet them behind the ears and let them sniff my hands. That seems to work most of the time to calm them down.. i hate being licked though, i hate the sensation and it grosses me out OCD germ wise.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2015, 2:37 am

Even though I'm an animal lover in general, I don't like dogs at all. I find them very unpredictable, more so than cats are supposed to be. So I detest it when a dog jumps on me, especially when they are running at me at the same time. I feel like I've been physically assaulted when that happens.

Noca, I agree totally about being licked, for much the same reasons.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 5:53 am

I used to get really upset with dogs when I was a child, but as I've gotten older I've learnt to deal with them better.

I'm not really a dog-lover and I don't like the small yappy dogs much, but my boyfriend's relative has 2 huskies and I love them. I feel at ease around them because their barks aren't loud and sudden, it's more of a howl, which doesn't make me jump. They do jump up sometimes, and even though they are big dogs, it still doesn't worry me. I do love huskies.

When I was a kid almost every dog used to run up to me and jump up. That was because I couldn't read their body language and so I was just nervous around any dog, which made them want to jump up more.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 6:16 am

Jumping is unacceptable, the dog owner should watch their dog not getting too close to people if they know this is a problem. A human would get sued if they jumped someone like a dog does, so clearly there is something unpleasant about being jumped.
I don't like touching dogs in general, they are often invasive, unpredictable, and I get shudders from thinking of the germs.
Stranger people bringing their stranger dogs without a leash and then going on to say "He just wants to play" or "He doesn't bite" are as*holes, just put in on a leash, some people don't want to make physical contact with dogs. I ignore what that person says about how nice the dog really is, I can't know that and I'm not going to believe it just because they say so.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 6:26 am

I can only tolerate physical contact with certain animals under controlled conditions. I'm very adverse to a dog or even a cat suddenly coming up to me and invading my space.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 7:00 am

I find any animal that hops on me uninvited is unacceptable. And, the people that laugh and say "Oh, they're just being friendly" drive me even more crazy. Why do they think it's ok to let their animals jump on people? Cats do it too. I was at a friends house one time shortly after hernia surgery and his cat jumped in my lap.

Now, he did not laugh and admonished the cat a bit, but they jump too.

I wonder if sometimes people just let their animals be like spoiled children that can do anything they want, and then think it's laughable.

But, otherwise, I have no other objections to animals. I just like them well behaved.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 7:05 am

I love all animals, and I love dogs, but yes, I can't stand it when someone lets their dog just jump up at me and get its paws all over me.

Not least because this is usually happening in a very muddy park!

I love dogs but personally seem to experience a lot of dog owners being arrogant as*holes who honestly believe their dog should be allowed to behave any way it wants even when that might cause a problem to a stranger. They NEED to train their dog to obey commands NOT to jump on people. It's basic etiquette for a well behaved dog who has been socialized properly for conduct in public.

Also, there are people who are allergic or have a deep fear, yet many dog owners never think about that when they let their dog run up to people.

Once again, I adore dogs but there are some basic training principles some dog owners don't even give a sh!t about.

Dwarvyn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2015, 7:10 am

I am what I believe people would refer to as a 'dog person'. I like it when they jump up and lick my face (when I come home from work, I'll usually lay down on the couch for my pair to say hello to me: double puppy cuddles!).

However, I am well aware that there are more than a few people that don't want dogs in their personal space at all, let alone jumping all over them. My two aren't the biggest dogs (their heads would only come up to your waist if they jumped up on you, and they're only 20 and 25 lbs), but I only let them say hello to people on our walks if the person makes the first move (we have leash laws around here, so no fear of them not listening) and if they get too excited and jump up, I immediately get them off (it's still something we're working on; we're getting better, especially with children). Unfortunately, because my pair aren't that big, and because most people seem to find them 'super cute', it's been slow going getting them to learn on their own not to jump because most people just let them. They're both pretty high-strung too, which doesn't help.

I know how hard it is to teach your dog not to jump on people first hand (especially the little ones) and how strangers never seem to listen even when you tell them to ignore your dog if they jump ('Don't pet him if he's jumping', 'Oh, okay', dog jumps, pat pat pat 'Don't worry, I don't mind; I have a dog too'), so even though I like having the dogs jump on me, I'll usually put my hands up in front of my chest and take a step back while turning away when they do it, to show them that jumping doesn't get them the attention they want. Most dogs pick up pretty quickly that four-paws-on-the-ground means pets and attention, and jumping up makes the new friend turn away and leave :)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 8:24 am

I love dogs. They're my second fave animals. They're not supposed to jump up, but if they do, I don't care. Unless it's icy or otherwise slippery so it makes me fall, which hasn't happened but would be annoying.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

02 Dec 2015, 8:38 am

Usually, I don't mind. It is kind of fun to make eye contact with a happy dog. Their expressive faces make me smile.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 8:44 am

I'd rather have a woman jump up on me than a dog.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 8:46 am

I must be in the minority then as I like it when dogs jump up at me. Unexpected hugs or pats on the back from humans are what I find to be rather unsettling.

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2015, 11:47 am

Well it depends on the size of the dog. My friend's catahoula? Sort of scary, that dog's got a lot of energy and a lot of strength. My little miniature Schnauzer? I love it when he jumps up on me because even though he's got a lot of energy he's small and pretty much harmless.

The thing that bothers me most about dogs is their barking.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 11:59 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I love all animals, and I love dogs, but yes, I can't stand it when someone lets their dog just jump up at me and get its paws all over me.

Not least because this is usually happening in a very muddy park!

I love dogs but personally seem to experience a lot of dog owners being arrogant as*holes who honestly believe their dog should be allowed to behave any way it wants even when that might cause a problem to a stranger. They NEED to train their dog to obey commands NOT to jump on people. It's basic etiquette for a well behaved dog who has been socialized properly for conduct in public.

Also, there are people who are allergic or have a deep fear, yet many dog owners never think about that when they let their dog run up to people.

Once again, I adore dogs but there are some basic training principles some dog owners don't even give a sh!t about.

I think people in general are untrained. That's probably why their dogs misbehave too.

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2015, 12:04 pm

When I was ~4 years old, I was bitten in the face by a dog at a junkyard, after wandering away from my parents and trying to make friends with it. Dogs still provoke a fight or flight response, and I don't like them to jump at me and especially hate them trying to lick my face.

I do like most dogs, but I prefer to interact only with those who have responsible handlers who have control of the dog and have trained it appropriately.