Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 2:54 pm

Despite opponent cries of:

"shame on you"
"Whether the young man wants to admit or not ... he is a man"
"God does not make mistakes. God made man, and then God made woman,"
"What about the rights of the children being violated by this?"

The Department of Education (DOE) won a resolution agreement with the Chicago school district that denied a transgender girl access to the girl's locker room and showers.

The resolution will permit her to use the girl's locker room and showers.

The resolution states that any girl who feels uncomfortable, can use "privacy curtains" for showering.

sources:
1. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/edu ... cker-room/
2. http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/s ... story.html

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 5:59 pm

He got his win, but with concessions. He won't be allowed to roam freely around the locker room with the women. And for his win, he also forces any girls that wish to have to dress themselves behind curtains like he has to do. Big win there. :roll:

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 6:41 pm

How do the other students using the dressing room feel?

What happens if the majority of the other students are uncomfortable, and there are not enough curtained areas for those who want to dress/undress privately?

The gym/shower room/dressing/locker room where I go, many women undress completely before showering......the dressing area is open... If they/ we dressed in the curtained shower stalls, most could not get showers., because often umber of members to shower stalls.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 6:50 pm

I think that's very good news. Too bad society wasn't that forward thinking when I was in school.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 5:01 am

Great news, I'm glad to hear it. Some idiots might disagree, but this is a triumph of justice and progress.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 12:31 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that's very good news. Too bad society wasn't that forward thinking when I was in school.

Indeed! Back when I was in elementary school, students with various mental problems (as they were called back then) had to use the nurse's single person bathroom. See, they weren't allowed to use the general bathrooms with all the other kids because it was feared they might do things that were, "inappropriate" in a setting sexualized only by the adults. Oh, and did I mention that prohibition would've included any students with autism, OCD, sensory issues, etc., simply because they were too different?

Shame on certain people here, for treating trans kids the same way.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 12:30 pm

One of my undergraduate schools was a women's college that had a "large" trans population. We had 10-15 trans students and it was a mid-sized school. There are women's bathrooms with multiple stalls in each building on each floor, a men's bathroom with multiple stalls in each building and at least one bathroom in each building that is gender neutral and a single person. So if a biological male is uncomfortable with the female to male trans students in the regular mens bathrooms they can go in the single use ones. Problem solved.

The adult men who worked at the school absolutely were uncomfortable with the trans students in the regular mens bathroom.

I don't know how many of the trans students were male to female. No one cared if the male to females were in our bathrooms or shower facilities. We probably also wouldn't have cared if gay men were in there, to be honest. As long as it wasn't hetero males.

I can't speak to kids at school. I would imagine it wouldn't be as big a deal, but maybe it would be a bigger deal since teens are sensitive and all.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 6:39 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
I can't speak to kids at school. I would imagine it wouldn't be as big a deal, but maybe it would be a bigger deal since teens are sensitive and all.

It's been our family's experience, that of the families we've met that younger classmates simply take it in stride. In elementary & middle school, those few extremist parents still hold sway (esp with elected school boards) but by the time the kids are teens they want to make their own choices. The current generation of high school students (14-18 yo) are the ones leading the way - I'm still amazed at the number of trans homecoming kings and queens that have been elected by student bodies in all areas of the country in the last five years!

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 5:34 am

For those of us in other countries, do American schools have communal showers? 8O

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 6:42 am

Magneto wrote:
For those of us in other countries, do American schools have communal showers? 8O

Generally, yes.

That's why I found this so interesting.

There is a conflict of Trans rights vs rights of girls not to see a "dangling appendage".

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 6:59 am

Oh. Have they not learned the concept of privacy yet?

Now it makes more sense to me.

Ardentmisanthrope23
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2015, 7:36 am

A transgender woman is a woman as far as she is concerned. Unless she is a particularly inappropriately behaving trans lesbian, then she isn't likely to be checking out the other women, so what's the problem? I wouldn't have a problem with a trans guy using my locker room. So what?

But I care. A lot.
(My username is "tongue in cheek" BTW)

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 8:01 am

Ardentmisanthrope23 wrote:
A transgender woman is a woman as far as she is concerned. Unless she is a particularly inappropriately behaving trans lesbian, then she isn't likely to be checking out the other women, so what's the problem? I wouldn't have a problem with a trans guy using my locker room. So what?

Parents don't think their teenage girls should be exposed to a penis.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 8:10 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
There is a conflict of Trans rights vs rights of girls not to see a "dangling appendage".

LoveNotHate wrote:

According to the first article you posted, the trans student is still required to change in a private area.

Quote:
The Palatine school board voted 5 to 2 in favor of the agreement, which will allow the student to use the locker room “based on her representation” that she will not change out in the open but in private. The district agreed to set up privacy curtains in the locker room for the transgender student and any other student who wants to use them.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 8:35 am

I seriously doubt a pre-op trans person would want a bunch of people seeing her naked anyway. Many pre-op trans have trouble even letting their romantic partner see them naked.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 8:57 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

LoveNotHate wrote:

According to the first article you posted, the trans student is still required to change in a private area.

Quote:
The Palatine school board voted 5 to 2 in favor of the agreement, which will allow the student to use the locker room “based on her representation” that she will not change out in the open but in private. The district agreed to set up privacy curtains in the locker room for the transgender student and any other student who wants to use them.

good find.

Still I think the parents [in the video] are concerned that the penis will be exposed.