Feeling this way because a lack of confidence?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dobyfm
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2015, 12:06 pm

I like an NT guy in one of my college classes. He has good social skills, is very likable and everyone in my major is his friend. I am very shy around him. He is so nice to me and always is willing to help me with assignments. Just this week me and him finally had a conversation about topics that do not concern academics. We actually have a lot in common. I don't know if he likes me or not, but as I went home that day I began to ask myself, "Why would someone like him like me or want to be with me?" I even started crying a little bit. The feeling of self doubt is still here and I am debating avoiding him. :(

I know this type of thinking stems from a lack of confidence. I've been struggling with low self esteem for years and even have been going to therapy sessions. Does anyone feel this way or has felt this way? Share your stories.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 12:14 pm

You are engaging in negative self talk. Whenever your mind thinks things like "why would someone like him like me or want to be with me," challenge the thought. You really have no evidence either way. Forget trying to define things - just enjoy the moments life offers.

mewichigo
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Dec 2015, 12:56 pm

from my personal experience I have developed low self esteem just from being rejected so much back in high school as well as after I graduated which became a problem when I did find someone I like, as a pretended to friendzone him just so he wouldn't treat me like so many other people did. One day I discovered he like me too and I had no reason to worry. I guess what I am saying is that you can put yourself on the line as you don't know how he feels until he tells you himself.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 1:48 pm

I can completely relate with you here. Obviously there's a (possibly well-buried) reason you feel this way about yourself. My suggestion would be to identify why you think you're not good enough (possibly with the help of a therapist/psychiatrist), and do the best to fix what you feel is not up to scratch and learn to accept the things you can't fix.

I know it's tough, and I feel your pain. My suggestion would be to continue talking to this guy, but do your best to keep romantic feelings at bay until such a time that he expresses explicit interest in you. Try to get to know him better and perhaps if you feel comfortable enough, drop a few hints, or perhaps even ask him out. It's all really up to you though.

You may not think your chances of getting with this guy are great, but any chance is better than the 0% chance you'd have if you chose to avoid him.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 2:16 pm

I think I have a very strong sense of what I want and don't want in a partner, and I've never allowed myself to fall for someone who I think would think poorly of me, overall. I have more self-respect than that. Even though in some areas I suffer from poor self-esteem, I guess this isn't one.

Not similar to you but you wanted input, so that's mine.

Poor motivation

dobyfm
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2015, 4:19 pm

Thanks everyone! What you all wrote makes sense. Perhaps I should think deeply into what is causing me to feel this way. One reason is that in my past so many people were mean to me, especially a lot of the guys who I used to like.

And as mentioned above, I should live in the moment. I'll wait to see if he really does like me romantically or is just being friendly.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 4:44 pm

androbot01 wrote:
You are engaging in negative self talk. Whenever your mind thinks things like "why would someone like him like me or want to be with me," challenge the thought. You really have no evidence either way. Forget trying to define things - just enjoy the moments life offers.

It took a lot of coffee & speeding tickets before I decided this one for myself. Now it just takes coffee...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

dobyfm
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2015, 4:53 pm

androbot01 wrote:

This is very helpful. I will try to challenge that thought by reminding myself of my positive traits. The issue is there are days when I feel good about myself. Then there are days I feel like I am stupid and unattractive. The memories of all the guys who rejected me in really mean ways still haunt me even though I tell myself it is all in the past.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 5:07 pm

The future generally has most of the same people in it although being stuck in their ways is one thing that gets people naturally selected out. I should paraphrase - five minutes of nastiness directed at you could equate to a whole lifetime of the same sh*t on different days somewhere else. Mean people are usually just trying to hide their lacking adaptability.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 6:19 pm

dobyfm wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

This is very helpful. I will try to challenge that thought by reminding myself of my positive traits. The issue is there are days when I feel good about myself. Then there are days I feel like I am stupid and unattractive. The memories of all the guys who rejected me in really mean ways still haunt me even though I tell myself it is all in the past.

Challenge your thoughts and your assumptions. Bad memories haunt me too. I can't stop them from floating into my mind, but I just let them pass. Try to focus on the moment. The past and future don't exist.

dobyfm
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2015, 6:25 pm

cberg wrote:
The future generally has most of the same people in it although being stuck in their ways is one thing that gets people naturally selected out. I should paraphrase - five minutes of nastiness directed at you could equate to a whole lifetime of the same sh*t on different days somewhere else. Mean people are usually just trying to hide their lacking adaptability.

This is sadly true. Reality is nasty people exist everywhere and I am probably going to run into another one in the future. However, I do feel strangely better knowing this harsh truth because I know what to expect and how to react to these sort of people from now on.

dobyfm
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2015, 6:28 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Challenge your thoughts and your assumptions. Bad memories haunt me too. I can't stop them from floating into my mind, but I just let them pass. Try to focus on the moment. The past and future don't exist.

Letting them pass is another way to overcome terrible memories because what is done is done. And good thing too. The way I now see it is feeling sad about it is far better than experiencing or living in that memory again. :(

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 6:31 pm

dobyfm wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

Letting them pass is another way to overcome terrible memories because what is done is done. And good thing too. The way I now see it is feeling sad about it is far better than experiencing or living in that memory again. :(

So true. Everyone has experienced mental and spiritual pain in one way or another. The important thing is how you deal with it.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 9:46 pm

I feel this way sometimes too. I think part of it is because different people gave the impression that they would be around for a very long time, but then they would push me away. There's also a lot of people that act very serious and uncomfortable around me too, especially guys. I usually like aspies or guys with aspie traits, but I sometimes feel like they are more likable and intelligent. I agree that a lot of it has to do with bad experiences.

dobyfm
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2015, 6:31 am

slw1990 wrote:
I feel this way sometimes too. I think part of it is because different people gave the impression that they would be around for a very long time, but then they would push me away. There's also a lot of people that act very serious and uncomfortable around me too, especially guys. I usually like aspies or guys with aspie traits, but I sometimes feel like they are more likable and intelligent. I agree that a lot of it has to do with bad experiences.

These are the kind of guys I tend to like for the same reasons. I have noticed they tend to be likable and very smart. I really liked a guy like this about two years ago and I assumed he would treat me well, but he didn't.

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2015, 2:32 pm

Yep, I can relate. I hear of a lot of people who feel that way, actually. I think avoidance is a way to try to stave off the pain of rejection by leaving before people get attached, but that's self-sabotage. We don't always know what other people see in us, or what they'd think of who we are on a deeper level early on. It's best to let others decide whether or not they think you're a match instead of pushing them away before they can even say yes or no.

It can seem like people have nothing in common and no reason to be together, but that's hard to know sometimes, too. I have a friend who has a lot of anxiety issues and faced a lot of bullying growing up, and it still bothers him. He always seems so upbeat most days that sometimes I forget what he's still going through. He has his own reasons for wanting to be around the friends he has, and that's because he gets it and he likes people for who they are past the flaws.

There are a lot of good people still out there if you give them a fair chance.