Page 1 of 23 [ 331 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2014
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,746
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada

07 Dec 2015, 8:13 pm

The Atlantic

Trump is getting so much support. He could win.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,779
Location: Stendec

07 Dec 2015, 8:30 pm

If the only other person running is Ms. Clinton, then you could be right.

I shudder at the thought of what this country could turn into with Mr. Trump at the helm.

As if things weren't bad enough already.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2014
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,746
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada

07 Dec 2015, 8:40 pm

He might play the violin while America burns.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,779
Location: Stendec

07 Dec 2015, 8:42 pm

No, he would be the one selling napalm to the firefighters.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,609
Location: Queens, NYC

07 Dec 2015, 9:22 pm

No way Trump would win!

He's too much of a clown. He's popular now because it's not close to the election. And the other candidates haven't gotten out the heavy artillery yet.

Guaranteed: other people will dig up dirt on him.

Another idiotic statement---one of many! And there will be others.



LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,184
Location: USA

07 Dec 2015, 11:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
No way Trump would win!

He's too much of a clown. He's popular now because it's not close to the election. And the other candidates haven't gotten out the heavy artillery yet.

Guaranteed: other people will dig up dirt on him.

Another idiotic statement---one of many! And there will be others.


Trump says a lot of popular things.

He wants a huge tax on the rich. (Bernie Sanders supports that)
He wants to "protect jobs" by limiting immigration (Bernie Sanders supports that)
He wants national health care (Bernie Sanders OKed)
Paul Krugman, left-wing economist says "Trump has it right on economics".

Trump is left of Clinton. So he should draw in the left and right, and moderates.



Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 523

08 Dec 2015, 1:05 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
No way Trump would win!

He's too much of a clown. He's popular now because it's not close to the election. And the other candidates haven't gotten out the heavy artillery yet.

Guaranteed: other people will dig up dirt on him.

Another idiotic statement---one of many! And there will be others.


Trump says a lot of popular things.

He wants a huge tax on the rich. (Bernie Sanders supports that)
He wants to "protect jobs" by limiting immigration (Bernie Sanders supports that)
He wants national health care (Bernie Sanders OKed)
Paul Krugman, left-wing economist says "Trump has it right on economics".

Trump is left of Clinton. So he should draw in the left and right, and moderates.


He's mostly far right with some left-tendencies (which is, funny enough, similar to Fascism).

He once said he would support national healthcare, but he has since changed his mind. He said during the GOP debate he wants a private system without state restrictions.
He doesn't believe insurance companies should provide birth control.
He's pro-life
He doesn't want a path for illegal immigrants to become citizens (Sanders does. Their polar opposites on immigration).
He doesn't believe in climate change
He's anti-gay marriage
He supports the death penalty
He thinks that businesses, based on religious belief, have the right to deny customers service
He wants to increase the military budget (we spend more than any other country combined x4), while making cuts to public spending
He's pro-NSA and pro-Patriot Act.
He doesn't believe in any increase on gun control.
He's anti-Net Neutrality and believes internet providers can prioritize traffic to companies that pay them.
He doesn't believe in decriminalizing drugs.

I think it's fair to say he's not drawing in any of the left or moderates.



GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,139

08 Dec 2015, 2:50 am

And, now... for one of the most brilliant examples of hubris in recent history:

Republican National Committee wrote:
"I'm proud to announce that in a sign of party unity all 17 Republican presidential candidates have pledged to support our eventual nominee," said RNC Chairman Priebus.

"We have the largest, most diverse field in the history of either party. Any candidate would be a better president than Hillary Clinton and offer the new direction Americans want.

"Our nominee will have a party infrastructure unlike any other to support a general election campaign. Each and every day, the RNC is strengthening our ground game, hiring staff in key states, engaging with new voters, and perfecting our data operation.

"Unlike Democrats we will offer voters a choice, not a coronation. Whoever ends up as our nominee will be well positioned to retake the White House."

... quite interesting, since Trump currently has a 13.7 percentage point lead* in the GOP nomination race.

Sources:
http://www.gop.com/rnc-statement-on-gop-pledge/
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -3823.html

*Dynamic link. Poll may update with newer data and display different numbers.


_________________
Our comforting conviction that the world makes sense rests on a secure foundation: our almost unlimited ability to ignore our ignorance.

- Daniel Kahneman


Gold Spiral
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 6 Dec 2015
Age: 23
Posts: 13
Location: Kentucky, USA

08 Dec 2015, 2:56 am

GGPViper wrote:
And, now... for one of the most brilliant examples of hubris in recent history:
Republican National Committee wrote:
"I'm proud to announce that in a sign of party unity all 17 Republican presidential candidates have pledged to support our eventual nominee," said RNC Chairman Priebus.

"We have the largest, most diverse field in the history of either party. Any candidate would be a better president than Hillary Clinton and offer the new direction Americans want.

"Our nominee will have a party infrastructure unlike any other to support a general election campaign. Each and every day, the RNC is strengthening our ground game, hiring staff in key states, engaging with new voters, and perfecting our data operation.

"Unlike Democrats we will offer voters a choice, not a coronation. Whoever ends up as our nominee will be well positioned to retake the White House."

... quite interesting, since Trump currently has a 13.7 percentage point lead* in the GOP nomination race.

Sources:
http://www.gop.com/rnc-statement-on-gop-pledge/
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -3823.html

*Dynamic link. Poll may update with newer data and display different numbers.

The GOP's efforts to repackage their internal disunity and use it as propaganda is pretty funny.



frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Oct 2015
Age: 44
Posts: 1,052
Location: California

08 Dec 2015, 3:04 am

I think that there should monitoring of all groups and people who preach terrorist acts. This includes "White Supremacist" groups in the United States. They should be entered in a gigantic federal database that is shared with state and local police. There should be sharing of information with our allies. They also be prosecuted under RICO laws when possible.



Last edited by frenchmanflats on 08 Dec 2015, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,295
Location: New Orleans

08 Dec 2015, 3:30 am

Trump called for a ban on all immigrants until we reach full employment.

Islam is not compatible with America. It is alien to western values. We are at war, have been for a decade, and if history teaches anything, this war will last a hundred years.

A lot of people will want to leave Germany and Sweden, and our immigration before 1965 favored north Europeans.

Our Culture leads the world in economics, we must be doing something right.

It is our choice, a million North Europeans, or a million Nigerian Princes and Hispanic drug cartels?

Build Wall, build on our ties with Europe.



LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,184
Location: USA

08 Dec 2015, 4:16 am

Pileo wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
No way Trump would win!

He's too much of a clown. He's popular now because it's not close to the election. And the other candidates haven't gotten out the heavy artillery yet.

Guaranteed: other people will dig up dirt on him.

Another idiotic statement---one of many! And there will be others.


Trump says a lot of popular things.

He wants a huge tax on the rich. (Bernie Sanders supports that)
He wants to "protect jobs" by limiting immigration (Bernie Sanders supports that)
He wants national health care (Bernie Sanders OKed)
Paul Krugman, left-wing economist says "Trump has it right on economics".

Trump is left of Clinton. So he should draw in the left and right, and moderates.


He's mostly far right with some left-tendencies (which is, funny enough, similar to Fascism).

He once said he would support national healthcare, but he has since changed his mind. He said during the GOP debate he wants a private system without state restrictions.
He doesn't believe insurance companies should provide birth control.
He's pro-life
He doesn't want a path for illegal immigrants to become citizens (Sanders does. Their polar opposites on immigration).
He doesn't believe in climate change
He's anti-gay marriage
He supports the death penalty
He thinks that businesses, based on religious belief, have the right to deny customers service
He wants to increase the military budget (we spend more than any other country combined x4), while making cuts to public spending
He's pro-NSA and pro-Patriot Act.
He doesn't believe in any increase on gun control.
He's anti-Net Neutrality and believes internet providers can prioritize traffic to companies that pay them.
He doesn't believe in decriminalizing drugs.

I think it's fair to say he's not drawing in any of the left or moderates.


-Like Sanders he does not want to allow businesses to bring in "cheap labor" through immigration. This is huge issue for voters. "Open borders" Jeb Bush is struggling.

-Trump does support national healthcare. He said he wants to have national healthcare , not the hodge-podge "Obamacare". Right wing sites have attacked him for this.

-Trump does support gay marriage. He calls it "the law of the land".

-He said he wants to get rid of some drug laws.

On the guns & military you are probably right, however, "Conservative Democrats" support guns and military.

Compared to Clinton, he has new ideas, of greatly taxing the rich, and closing the borders. These will have strong appeal to working people.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,520
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

08 Dec 2015, 4:32 am

Trump's political ambitions are built on demonizing certain ethnic/religious groups, namely Latinos and Muslims. His are the politics of division and hate. I can't say if Trump honestly believes the hot air he's spewing, but his supporters certainly do, and thus he's bringing out the very worst in them.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,295
Location: New Orleans

08 Dec 2015, 4:39 am

Trump calls for a strong military.

How, give the Marines what they ask for, not what is made in your district. Military spending is the big pork project.

Remember $600 dollar toilet seats?

How, when you send in the Marines with everything they want, have them send you a post card when they are done.

It takes a unity of command, from the top fighting General, the one in the lead tank, like Patton or MacArthur. Command structure down to the lowest Private has to function as one.

Wars run from Washington for the Six O'clock News directed by Commander Obama are doomed.

It is possible to have the best fighting force on Earth for a lot less than we are spending.

Defense spending is the largest welfare program for industry.

When you care enough to send the very best, U.S. Marines.



GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,139

08 Dec 2015, 4:53 am

I also wonder if the producers of Saturday Night Live still think it was a good idea to let Trump host their show about a month ago. I think that decision might come back to haunt them in the long run...


_________________
Our comforting conviction that the world makes sense rests on a secure foundation: our almost unlimited ability to ignore our ignorance.

- Daniel Kahneman