Is it just as rare for aspies to enjoy darker music?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 6:19 pm

I've always found myself more drawn to music with a minor key and at least a small degree of dissonance. I find music that's 100% consonant boring. I feel it's equally unusual for people on the autism spectrum as for NTs. Usually it's more artistically inclined people who have a taste for some darker things. It seems kind of rare though. I feel alone in my taste.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 7:22 am

I enjoy both kinds, but yes agree it's rare I feel for both, though as aspies we may be slightly more likely due to unique or obscure tastes in things in general.

I like a lot of dark ambient, drone music and dissonant music.

What exactly kind of 'dark' music do you listen to?

I love this kind of stuff, if you consider it 'dark':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEJXjxl-Yug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz345Bl8Fpc

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 1:27 pm

This is an interesting question because I've actually been badly distressed by dissonant music compositions, most of all when I was a child.

I was a musically gifted child myself and therefore you would think I would have a curiosity about any music. But I actually felt traumatized one day when I had a classical station on the radio and I listened to a piece that was dissonant. I have no idea who the composer was but I actually went into a kind of meltdown.

I was affected to a lesser degree as I got older, but still even as an adult, a dissonant composition actually quite disturbs me and my emotional response to such music seems to be very sensitive and negative.

Although there is dark music I do like, I think I'm mostly drawn to music that makes me feel like sun is shining and everything's okay. I have a very emotionally sensitive response to depressing music even though I like plenty.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 11:31 pm

I would enjoy knowing what you mean by dark music.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 3:08 am

I tend to prefer music that's in a minor key. My favorite type of music is music that switches from minor to major a lot. You find that a lot in Scandinavia.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 3:00 pm

Outrider wrote:
I enjoy both kinds, but yes agree it's rare I feel for both, though as aspies we may be slightly more likely due to unique or obscure tastes in things in general.

I like a lot of dark ambient, drone music and dissonant music.

What exactly kind of 'dark' music do you listen to?

I don't listen to any specific genre exclusively. I really like the darker side of post-rock (Godspeed You Black Emperor, A Silver Mount Zion, Russian Circles, Pelican,...). I also like some classical music if it is a little on the darker more melancholy side. I also like trip-hop like Massive Attack and Portishead. Rossz Csillag Alatt Született by Venetian Snares is another really dark trippy dissonant album I absolutely love. Also, I shouldn't forget to mention classic 90s grunge like Nirvana and Alice In Chains (lots of dissonance but surprisingly popular).

Quote:

I have some dark ambient, though I haven't listened to it much lately. I generally like the more natural relaxing stuff like you've posted, but I also have Carbon/Core by Lustmord which is downright terrifying. Carbon/Core is probably the darkest s**t I've ever heard. It's plain scary if you haven't listened to it yet.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 3:04 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I tend to prefer music that's in a minor key. My favorite type of music is music that switches from minor to major a lot. You find that a lot in Scandinavia.

Me too! I love composers who do this!

killerBunny
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2015, 7:21 am

Bigots.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 5:57 pm

killerBunny wrote:
Bigots.

What is this supposed to mean?

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 7:32 pm

I am exactly like this, to the point where lighthearted music usually just pisses me off. idk why, it must just be my type. I wouldn't say I'm any more sad or cynical on average than other people. it's particularly hard to navigate with my boyfriend, specifically in our jazz music tastes. we have similar styles and there is definitely overlap, but he tends to enjoy a more hyper-aggressively happy type and for me to enjoy anything hyper-aggressive it's gonna need to be of the sad and angry variety.

Jacob Alexander
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2015, 10:24 pm

Cradle of Filth is a great Dark/Death Metal band.........

I don't believe that I have aspergers syndrome. ....... just a bad case of PTSD and more but I think that anyone with neurological diffences will be more prone to like what is not popular.... .....

The Clown

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2015, 10:53 pm

What genres do you consider dark?

Jacob Alexander

18 Dec 2015, 12:43 am

Dark metal
Death Metal
Gothic
Gothic instrmental (my favorite)
Some classical

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 5:41 pm

What about noise or black metal?

killerBunny
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2015, 7:55 pm

thewrll wrote:
killerBunny wrote:
Bigots.

What is this supposed to mean?

The title of the thread has all the clues needed. 4/5 comedians said my joke killed.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 9:14 pm

I don't typically like overly "happy" sounding music, in fact I often find it to be quite annoying. The stuff I listen to is usually quite dark or aggressive in tone, or at the very least somewhat cynical. I have wide ranging tastes, but I typically listen to various forms of metal, punk, and industrial music. I can't stand cheery sounding pop songs, and I'm turned off by most hip hop, with few exceptions. Oddly, I do enjoy some classic rock and 70s/80s New Wave.

To give you an idea, I find this much easier to listen to:

Than this:

I know, I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but the former makes me want to mosh and headbang and I generally feel awesome while listening to it, while the latter makes me want to to find the source of the offending racket and smash it with a baseball bat until the noise stops.