Is it just as rare for aspies to enjoy darker music?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2015, 5:52 pm

killerBunny wrote:
thewrll wrote:
killerBunny wrote:
Bigots.

What is this supposed to mean?

The title of the thread has all the clues needed. 4/5 comedians said my joke killed.

Now I get it.

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 2:02 am

I only know what I like. Dark music. Dark chocolate. Dark coffee. Long winter nights.

something_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Dec 2015, 5:42 pm

I don't know. But I know I am drawn to things in the harmonic minor keys, love how broken it sounds, all those diminished chords. it just seems so much richer and expressive.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 1:59 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
To give you an idea, I find this much easier to listen to:

Than this:

I know, I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but the former makes me want to mosh and headbang and I generally feel awesome while listening to it, while the latter makes me want to to find the source of the offending racket and smash it with a baseball bat until the noise stops.

I have trouble with metal vocals, but I enjoy instrumental metal like this...

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 4:41 pm

Wounds of Recollection - Frozen Corpses on the Mountainside

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 10:39 pm

This is a simple composition I would consider "dark". It has both mild dissonance and is somewhat unpredictable on the first listen. I find it fascinating.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 6:19 am

Thankd for the recommendations, Marshall sir about Lustmord.

He's pretty good only thing I don't like is a fair bit of their music is a bit short for my taste, though I've started to find some 10-20 minute stuff (just the way I like my dark ambient - long, deep and dark).

To the other guy who likes gothic instrumental, if you see this may I please have some recommendations?

I enjoy gothic rock and gothic music in general (piano pieces, etc.) but can almost never find any.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 12:39 pm

Hmm. I don't tend to like upbeat songs. A preference for the minor key, and dischord, but not such that it becomes a dirge. Never really 'got' metal, or heavier stuff.

I look forward to going through this thread when I've more time to be receptive to new music.

I like somewhat spooked music, like an empty house sitting there on a drizzly October evening as the lights of cars carrying people home to their families run across its walls. Stuff that has the melancholy warmth of the star-punctuated bruised blue sky at twilight. (If it's any consolation, I have little idea what I'm going on about).

A bunch of videos coming up in an attempt at elucidation. If you're interested, give them a listen for the first minute or so. Should give the gist.

This is one of my favourite songs ever:

'Political Scientist' by Ryan Adams. The suspended piano chords never seeming to resolve, the sting of the guitar, the voice cracking.

Adams is my favourite artist of the past 14 years, though I listen to him less nowadays than I used to. By contrast, here's another one, called 'So Alive':

It's fast. I'm not too clear on this, but I'd guess the repeating chords of E/G#m/C#m/A put it as major key. But it's not upbeat to me. There is a painful, yearning undertow to it all. Such is being in love.

Another of my favourite songs ever:

It's Tindersticks, with my favourite (live) version of their song, 'Jism'. Yes, I know. But it's a beautiful, intoxicating song though.

And Suede, with 'The Asphalt World':

A soundtrack to the movie it inspires in your head. Rain and traffic lights and basement flats.

More recently, I've been lucky to happen across Bohren & der Club of Gore:

And Ludovico Einaudi:

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

F.O.D.
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Dec 2015, 3:16 pm

I like Twiztid 8)

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 4:11 pm

I appear to prefer the minor keys in instrumental music but they shouldn't be associated with the malicious things. I'm still exploring music area so what I said may not turn out to be true.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 1:26 am

Currently listening to "Finger Paintings of the Insane" by Acid Bath. Great song to wake up to. \m/ \m/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 9:07 am

It makes sense a lot of us are depressed and autistic traits ofter bring out the worst in other people and that is what see and that affects the internal lens in which we view the world so we seek music that relates.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ChristianSmith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2016, 10:14 am

I like Substep Infrabass. I like most dark music, I also like angry violent music.

AQ:39
RAADS-R 172