Small talk cheats-phrases to initiate a conversation with s

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 7:47 pm

What are some effective small talk phrases to initiate a conversation with someone?

I only know

"Hello. How are you?"

What are some other good ones?

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 6:34 am

I never ask anyone how they are, unless they've asked me first, because it's none of my goddamn business. In fact, if they ask me first, to me, it's not an exchange of social pleasantries, but a futile attempt to get even with them for the personal info they've forced me to disclose with their question.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

ArtemisHolmes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2015, 7:02 am

Depends on the context. If you're in a restaurant, ask what's good, if they know. If you're anywhere near a food place, ask them what is good int he area, if they know. If it's a classmate, ask how they did on the test/homework, have they done it yet, etc.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 7:00 pm

Try this- after asking "how are you?", then ask "What do you enjoy about this wonderful day?" -just an ice-breaker.