18 Dec 2015, 10:35 am

I like to watch netflix, I also like cooking

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 1:14 pm

cavernio wrote:
Avoid caffeine.

As The Deke from Waterworld would say..."Hmm. Setback". How am I supposed to self medicate without my coffee?

In all seriousness, thank you. I'd forgot about caffeine and its effects on tension. Problem is, I use it to help counter a different flavor of headache so avoiding it is not my first reaction. Again, thanks for the reminder!

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 3:15 pm

I relax by watching TV, I love watching older shows, I watch TV shows from the 80s. I also play games on my iPad.

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Dec 2015, 3:53 pm

I know what it's like to feel tense pretty much all the time. I often feel keyed-up for no particular reason, but I find it helps to be mindful of that and focus on what I can do, what I can't do, and how I have time to relax and not worry before it builds up too much. I think I worry without even thinking about it, maybe because I'm so used to having things to worry about and thinking it needs to be taken care of immediately.

If all else fails, take a hot bath and stay off the Internet.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 8:11 pm

I relaxe by doing things relating to my Special Interest (Pokemon) like Playing Pokemon Yellow.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 8:24 pm

C2V wrote:
I know I'm in the minority with all these depression and anxiety drugs but I don't believe it's helpful much of the time, except in extreme cases. Even then, I have known one extreme case on whom they weren't effective at all. It has been suggested and in varying degrees proven that meditational practices and more traditional therapeutic techniques achieve the same affect as drugs, without the synthetics, side effects, costs and funding the pharmaceutical companies.
I don't know if it counts as "relaxing" but I find mindfulness practices help deconstruct and take power from negative thoughts. This and physical relaxation techniques done deliberately can help, and can be done anywhere. I also have the problem getting wound up obsessing about all my issues when trying to sleep, so am trying to divert attention instead into actively building a dreamworld to bridge the gap between waking and sleeping and not thinking about my issues.
As for just chilling out watching movies or reading is relaxing to me, but only if I'm alone and don't constantly have to be hyper-aware of myself around others.

My daughter tends toward anxiety (Dx'd). She goes through times, just as her body is disconnecting from her brain / that moment of total relaxation when all of her worst anxieties come rushing in and set her in a panic. Over the last 4-5 years I've been teaching her mindfulness & various meditation methods. Typically she now visits a construct (meadow or forest...with dinosaurs, her current interest) and falls asleep there.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2015, 6:42 pm

I relax by listening to ASMR videos or the sounds of rain while dragging a wet cloth across my skin very lightly.

Yes, I know how weird that sounds.

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2015, 6:58 pm

Hmmm, here's some of the things I do:

Watch TV/Movies
Read a book
Play a video game
Play with my animals
Write fan fiction
Brainstorm ideas for my campaign world
Just sit and let my mind wander for a bit, never know what I'll come up with
Go onto the forums and vent
Exercise with my toy lightsabers, good way to build up arm muscles :D

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2015, 9:02 pm

xile123 wrote:
I relax by listening to ASMR videos or the sounds of rain while dragging a wet cloth across my skin very lightly.

Not so weird in my opinion, at least not in a negative way. People use imagery all the time to relax because most people are so visually centric they practically ignore their other senses (from my POV as a highly sensitive person). You are creatively using two other senses in a similar manner.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2015, 9:03 pm

I watch animal videos, videos that remind me of when I was younger, listen to music, play games, spend time with my dog and spend time with my mom.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2015, 10:49 pm

I use a range of approaches. The thing I would stress though is that you need to achieve a baseline level of physical and mental stress that is more manageable than what you describe you have now.

Things that work for me, in combination, and in no particular order: pets; hugs from loved ones; friend time; video games; television; yoga; meditation; massage (but expensive); aromatherapy - lavender is particularly calming; listening to music; physical exercise; warm baths; warm showers; regular bedtimes and mealtimes.

I also have worked out a meds regimen over many years that seems optimal for me. Because it's mostly trial-and-error along with some skill on the doctors' part, it can take a long time to get the right drugs and the right doses. If you are constantly feeling physical pain, you may benefit from Lyrica or Cymbalta, which seem to have the dual effects of treating chronic pain and also antidepressant effects.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2015, 11:50 pm

Again, I really appreciate all the responses. You folks are great and really making me feel welcome.

The interesting thing I'm noticing replies is a lot of references to negative thoughts. Those are actually easier to manage a lot of the time. What really gets me is when a thought that isn't really negative, even one that's pleasant, seems to force its way into my mind at times when I really need to be focused on something else. I can either allow this, which makes it hard to get anything done (so, that's stressful) or try to push it away, which requires a lot of mental energy (so that's stressful).

While I haven't had time to do much about any new techniques I'm trying a bit of a new approach that would probably seem a bit out there for some people; when I'm stressed over something, I do it. No regard for how miserable it may be to do so. No consideration to how distressing it may be. Just... do it anyway. Just little things so far since that's what I have time for, but once a task has been conquered or a goal accomplished it does not weigh on me.

The trick is getting enough done to actually make progress, which at times feels like trying to bail out a sinking ship with a coffee cup; but I feel more relaxed since I started doing that.

That should seem obvious and isn't actually news to me, but it goes against a lot of deeply-ingrained habits. On some level I'd been encouraged by people in my past to take an avoidance strategy. "Don't push yourself too hard, you'll burn out." I think that's done me a lot of harm.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 1:06 am

Quote:
xile123 wrote:

Not so weird in my opinion, at least not in a negative way. People use imagery all the time to relax because most people are so visually centric they practically ignore their other senses (from my POV as a highly sensitive person). You are creatively using two other senses in a similar manner.

That doesn't sound weird at all. As said above, most people are visual, thus that's the sense they relate to. This doesn't seem to be the case for many autistics with various sensory differences. The sound makes sense to me as sound is my most dominant sense, thus anything with negative sound is likely to drive me nuts, but visually disturbing material is less affecting. Maybe it's the same for you, or touch is your most dominant, thus why so many people have tactile sensory problems on the spectrum.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 1:21 am

(In my best Star Trek, "Backwards Alien" voice)
Tell me this strange word..."relax".

I'm either balls to the walls or just crashed. Even when I sleep, I usually dream about work, things to do or problems that need to be solved. At least the work related problems. But, every once in a while, I just turn into a puddle of goo. It resembles depression in its appearance, but it's not. I just tend to push until I collapse, and then need to recharge.

I think if I were in a place more conducive to my predilections of solitude and quiet, I may not push myself so hard. I really think I'm just blowing off steam and work is the best outlet for that.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 1:26 am

three words; DEEP PRESSURE THERAPY.

I feel the same way you do, i cant calm down, sometimes breathing tecniques work but not all the time, I trained my dog to lay on me and it makes me feel SO relaxed, that with some good music or a movie and all my troubles melt away. Its like temple grandins squeeze machine.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 1:38 am

zkydz wrote:
(In my best Star Trek, "Backwards Alien" voice)
Tell me this strange word..."relax".

I'm either balls to the walls or just crashed. Even when I sleep, I usually dream about work, things to do or problems that need to be solved. At least the work related problems. But, every once in a while, I just turn into a puddle of goo. It resembles depression in its appearance, but it's not. I just tend to push until I collapse, and then need to recharge.

I think if I were in a place more conducive to my predilections of solitude and quiet, I may not push myself so hard. I really think I'm just blowing off steam and work is the best outlet for that.

That actually sounds... more like what I'm trying to do than anything. I figure if I keep at it, I can establish some measure of control and confidence that's lacking in my life right now and build up a bit more self-discipline. Getting stuff done actually makes me feel a lot better, even if doing that stuff makes me feel like crap.

What kind of work do you do, if you don't mind my asking?

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
three words; DEEP PRESSURE THERAPY.

I feel the same way you do, i cant calm down, sometimes breathing tecniques work but not all the time, I trained my dog to lay on me and it makes me feel SO relaxed, that with some good music or a movie and all my troubles melt away. Its like temple grandins squeeze machine.

I forgot that even existed. Haven't done it in a couple decades. It worked then though, so thanks for suggesting that!