Becoming an English Teacher in a foreign country? Help?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AnastasiaMoon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2015, 3:32 pm

hello all..

Has anyone every became an English Teacher in another country? (I haven't yet obtained my degree in English.) I'm still in my teens at the moment, I'm still debating whether or not I want a degree in English/Teaching or in Computer Program or Graphic Arts :oops:

I've been searching for teaching English in Japan (so unique I know.) or in Korea. I know a lot of people are trying to do this, and I know those are two different places with different cultures I understand that. I have been learning Japanese and Korean for the passed few months now on and off again but i haven't been serious about it up until now.

My main concern is being an Aspie and having Depersonlization and Derelization (not sure if I spelled that right ha how ironic.) Pardon me if I make a few typos, I'm scared of getting lost and forgetting where I am, I have anxiety issues too I can't be around large crowds and Japan is a very big country, I'm worried about money and living on my own I don't have any friends at the moment and I'm scared of being there all by myself

I'm scared of not being able to talk to the other teachers due to my anxiety and dp and dr, I don't know if I'll be good around small kids either...I mean maybe I'm just afraid they may be scared of me because I kind of act weird around people and I don't want them to get the wrong idea

May be wondering how the heck do I expect to function with all of this going on...well that's why I'm here to ask anyone whos' actually taught outside of the USA? I don't care where it is just need an answer

Also I'm concerned about my race (I am biracial.) I am Black and White on my fathers side...I don't want the kids or anyone else to be scared of me, I heard other people of my race saying that sometimes they're scared of us :( I don't know if that's true or not, and I'm still learning so I won't sound too ignorant

I've been learning Japanese on my own, I've been thinking about hiring an online teacher one that I could speak to face to face and also befriending some Japanese people online but due to my anxiety I kind of chickened out :(

I'm scared that they won't accept me as soon as they see what I look like...I guess that's my biggest fear being rejected and making a fool out of myself like I always do

I thought that maybe if I befriend a few them if I go over there it won't be so lonely...I sound really pathetic right now...so yeah

8O

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 6:29 pm

Do you enjoy teaching?

I've always wanted to be a teacher--but my social difficulties have prevented me from doing so.

Maybe the joy of offering people knowledge might outweigh your social anxiety issues--if you feel that joy, I'd go for teaching. Many teachers aren't social butterflies; many teachers are Aspies.

As long as you're at least superficially friendly with people, I don't see any problems.

I feel joy when I assist people in that manner. However, I've had trouble with being flexible when I've tutored people in the past.

If you're only thinking about paying the bills, and don't love teaching, I'd go for computers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 7:52 pm

AnastasiaMoon wrote:
hello all..Has anyone every became an English Teacher in another country? (I haven't yet obtained my degree in English.) I'm still in my teens at the moment, I'm still debating whether or not I want a degree in English/Teaching or in Computer Program or Graphic Arts :oops:

Recruiters in Japan, South Korea and Taiwan will hire non-college graduates with no experience in teaching or experience in the local vernacular provided you "appear" to be a westerner. A number of English speakers in these countries will pay money to "talk" or listen to a westerner.

However to get a teaching position in a "reputable" teaching institution in Asia requires more formal tertiary qualifications and at least basic understanding of the local vernacular. A college degree in any discipline with a minor/major in Asian language followed by English as a Second Language certification (ESL) is the best bet to secure a teaching position with executives or highschool kids.