Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 5:02 pm

sly279 wrote:
Yes seems confusing to me a date is anything when a girl and guy get together romantically. Go to a self serve ice cream with your gf that's a date. Go see a movie with a girl you kiss and like romantically that'd be a date. Dates could be any activity and doesn't have to be walking up to person"wanna go on a date" fact I've never seen anyone do that or even mention date in any sentence when getting to together. It's only later when talking to a 3rd party such things are called dates.

So when wife and I hung out at my place or at her moms place, that was a date? Or when we drove to a dance place to dance, that was a date too? We never went to movies, and if we ate out together it was because we were hungry, not to date.

I'd say a better definition of a date is a meeting where you haven't decided that you are a couple, and where you want to check the other part out. That's a date to me. If you have went past the "checking out phase", then it is no longer a date. I always did the checking out nonverbally, and not on dates. If I went out with somebody then I had always went past the checking out phase, so then it wasn't a date, rather a couple going to some event.

sly279 wrote:
So from what I gather, this is a case of one person in their mind deciding the two are a couple and in these cases the other is ok and feels same, however in most cases the other feels they are being harassed and stalked.

If that's the case, then you have done an awfully bad job with the checking out phase.

sly279 wrote:
Very interesting I see how these cases could have gone badly.

That never happened to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 5:08 pm

Come to think of it: I didn't really go on too many "dates" per se. Usually, the two of us would get together, implicitly tell ourselves that we are together, THEN go out places together.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 5:41 pm

rdos wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Yes seems confusing to me a date is anything when a girl and guy get together romantically. Go to a self serve ice cream with your gf that's a date. Go see a movie with a girl you kiss and like romantically that'd be a date. Dates could be any activity and doesn't have to be walking up to person"wanna go on a date" fact I've never seen anyone do that or even mention date in any sentence when getting to together. It's only later when talking to a 3rd party such things are called dates.

So when wife and I hung out at my place or at her moms place, that was a date? Or when we drove to a dance place to dance, that was a date too? We never went to movies, and if we ate out together it was because we were hungry, not to date.

I'd say a better definition of a date is a meeting where you haven't decided that you are a couple, and where you want to check the other part out. That's a date to me. If you have went past the "checking out phase", then it is no longer a date. I always did the checking out nonverbally, and not on dates. If I went out with somebody then I had always went past the checking out phase, so then it wasn't a date, rather a couple going to some event.

sly279 wrote:
So from what I gather, this is a case of one person in their mind deciding the two are a couple and in these cases the other is ok and feels same, however in most cases the other feels they are being harassed and stalked.

If that's the case, then you have done an awfully bad job with the checking out phase.

sly279 wrote:
Very interesting I see how these cases could have gone badly.

That never happened to me.

Yes those were dates.

Married couples have date nights even, so dates isn't limit to non couples.

But in the past you said you don't do a checking out phase you just stared at women from a distant for years.

Lots of women suggest hanging out at their place to get to know each other, which would be a date.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 4:23 am

sly279 wrote:
Married couples have date nights even, so dates isn't limit to non couples.

You must have a very unusual definition of what a date is.

Wikipedias definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating

Quote:
Dating is a part of the human mating process whereby two people meet socially for companionship, beyond the level of friendship, or with the aim of each assessing the other's suitability as a partner in an intimate relationship or marriage.

Quote:
One of the main purposes of dating is for two or more people to evaluate one another’s suitability as a long term companion or spouse. Often physical characteristics, personality, financial status, and other aspects of the involved persons are judged and as a result feelings can be hurt, and confidence shaken. Because of the uncertainty of the whole situation, the desire to be acceptable to the other person, and the possibility of rejection, dating can be very stressful for all parties involved.

Note the use of "assessing" and "evaluate". Once you have decided to be exclusive with somebody, you no longer are dating. Thus, what I described above with wife was not dating, as I had already made that decision.

sly279 wrote:
But in the past you said you don't do a checking out phase you just stared at women from a distant for years.

That's the checking out phase where I check their persistence and observe their behavior towards me and others. If you do this long enough, you can also be close to 100% certain that there is a mutual interest, and thus when you move to the next stage, it won't be one-sided, there will typically be no additional check-out, and it certainly will not be stalking.

Besides, I cannot handle being rejected in dating, so I'd never subject myself to such horrors.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 7:25 am

This is confusing.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 5:05 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
This is confusing.

Why? I cannot date because that's too intensive and will create too strong feelings for the girl, and if she then decides to reject me, I simply cannot move on in a long time. I'm certainly not alone in that respect, rather this seems to be common enough for neurodiverse people. The usual "solution" is to learn to accept rejection (wonder if anybody succeeded with that?) or to try to not get too strong feelings too early (that might work for some). However, it appears I "solved" this issue already as a teenager by using observation instead of dating. Back then I lacked essential information about how to advance it, but I have that information now.

Observation really replaces dating, and so when I advance it now I'm exclusive from the start. That's similar to how dating typically ends by a verbal agreement to be exclusive. Thus, with wife, as soon as I made contact with her the first time after having observed her for 3-4 months, I also made the decision to be exclusive. That's why the following meetings were not dates.