Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 8:32 pm

Lemmy , the leader of the band " MOTORHEAD " , has died .
He was 70 years old .
You will (Well , may) remember his band's " ACE OF SPADES " ~ Was there any celebrity LESS likely to have it asked about him , " Well , was HE Aspie " ? :-)
" I don't want to live forever ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! "

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 8:44 pm

Based on his smoking habit, I am amazed he lasted as long as he did. I am really glad he was able to finish and release an album before his death.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 9:24 pm

Just found out the news, from seeing the thread title.

A few years ago I saw a documentary which followed the band on tour, and never mind his smoking, the quantities of whisky he put away were just staggering (and he must have been 60+ at the time).

About 25 years ago I saw a TV interview he did with a woman called Emma Freud. It was conducted in a double bed of all places. Her last question to him was something like "What are your remaining ambitions?" His deadpan reply was "To get over to the other side of the bed".

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 10:11 pm

He was a very calm individual. I am glad he found out he had a son later on in life.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 10:31 pm

Ugh. I saw it coming, but it still hurts.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 10:45 pm

I love this quote from Lemmy

I had to stand on this platform while the camera went around and did the hologram thing and then they made the model, only smaller. They said it's an action figure and I said, 'So, you're gonna put a dick on it?' They said, 'No.' I said, 'Well, then it's not going to get much action then, is it?' A bad name for it, right?[15]

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 1:12 am

I recently picked up Troma's brilliantly trashy Tromeo and Juliet, which Lemmy appears in and narrates, and loved it. Yes, Lemmy doing Shakespeare. Highly recommended if anyone's interested. The Blu-ray is packed.

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 2:10 am

Lemmy Rocked!! !! I will certainly miss him

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2015, 9:56 am

Very sad, as well as being an unwelcome reminder that even the hardiest of us are still mortal.

The man was rock'n'roll personified, perhaps more so than any other musician of his generation.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 7:14 am

Wasn't at all a fan, but have to give the band credit for longevity. They had what, one song most people ever heard of, yet somehow there are still people in their 20s walking around in Motorhead T-shirts to this day.

It was brought up to me that they may have been one of the first metal hybridizers in that their music evidently (never listened to too much) had a strong punk influence as well and was also respected in that community of fans as well. And if there's one thing I love, it's hybrid styles of metal.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 2:50 pm

That's why I liked Motorhead. I'm a student of both the punk school and metal school, so it wasn't unusual for me to listen to the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Plasmatics & The Damned as much as I listened to Maiden, KISS, Sabbath or Priest.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 8:40 pm

The most amazing thing about this man, to me is that, five days after his death, no one who knew him has come up with the typical back-stabbing trash talk.......everyone in the music business seems to have respected him, and that is saying a lot.

R.I.P., Lemmy

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 7:26 pm

Sylkat wrote:
The most amazing thing about this man, to me is that, five days after his death, no one who knew him has come up with the typical back-stabbing trash talk.......everyone in the music business seems to have respected him, and that is saying a lot.

R.I.P., Lemmy

While things have changed with the times, there was a point where the metal community was just that, a community. I'm sure they had feuds but there was more of a brotherhood vibe about it back then.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 2:18 am

It helps that I have never heard of Lemmy being homophobic, racist, or outright despicable. Lemmy was a good human. And whatever is out there for him will never be the same.

outofphase
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2016, 11:19 am

There is now a petition to have a newly discovered element named Lemmium.

Here

I once knew a guy who went to to every show on the No Sleep Till Hammersmith tour. I only saw Motorhead twice. Both times at Leeds University where the Who recorded Live in Leeds (another renowned live album). Fairly small venue, which might have been better than seeing them in a stadium or festival.

Always worth seeing live and naming an element after Lemmy seems like fun way to remember him.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 7:51 pm

Here is an article about his funeral

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/mem ... spartandhp