Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rockymntchris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2016, 3:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
living at least 50 miles from the nearest transmission tower [no translators near me] I am lucky to get any over-the-air TV. I tried a regular rooftop antenna and got zilch.

If you have decent internet speed, I'd recommend getting a Roku.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 3:50 am

Rockymntchris wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
living at least 50 miles from the nearest transmission tower [no translators near me] I am lucky to get any over-the-air TV. I tried a regular rooftop antenna and got zilch.

If you have decent internet speed, I'd recommend getting a Roku.

no high speed internet available out in the sticks. my treetop deep fringe "fly swatter" plus in-line amp gives me the basic network channels [NBC/ABC/CBS/PBS] for the most part, though the PBS channel is notoriously weak [only 200' elevation and it is behind ABC's antenna tower and most of its signal is aimed north of me so it drops out half the time. no lifeline cable out here either, due to a monopoly where the one and only local cable provider has us over a barrel, premium cable [$60 per month plus a GD box] or nothing, so I opted for nothing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 1:37 pm

Good for you. I would feel lost without my cable TV.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 4:49 pm

I spend most of my screen time online in any case, no real time to watch the telly.

Global1st
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2020, 4:16 am

You did absolutely the right thing. Cable TV is too unprofitable and polluted with advertising

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 4:56 am

Global1st wrote:
You did absolutely the right thing. Cable TV is too unprofitable and polluted with advertising

"unprofitable"? :scratch:

closerlife
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2020, 1:43 pm

I think he meant that cable TV is expensive. I also gave up cable TV and I [url=/url] from TV a few years ago and switched to streaming. Now I pay three times less and can watch absolutely anything I want. But most of all, I am glad that I do not face a lot of unnecessary advertising. I think this is an ideal option for those who are tired of paying a lot of money for cable TV and advertising

Last edited by B19 on 18 May 2020, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.: spam

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 2:08 pm

What actually is cable TV?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 11:43 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
What actually is cable TV?

an older style of data delivery to homes using coaxial cables. called "cable tv" to differentiate it from OTA [Over The Air or Antenna TV]. things like HBO, Showtime, etc. come to amuuurican homes via cable.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 11:21 am

My last TV died 10 or 12 years ago. At the time I couldn't afford cable, and the mountains blocked all but one or two channels. I also couldn't afford to replace the TV at that time, but a short time later my govt. assistance level went up, so I was able to switch from $5 a month snail-slow dial-up internet to cable internet service at the low-income person's monthly rate, which the companies don't even advertise. Although this level of service is slower than their standard basic internet service, it's still tons faster than dial-up internet, so I was able to watch videos, movies, and TV for free right on my computer using the internet. I never did buy a new TV, or any sort of TV device after that, and I don't pay for any of the paid programming services. I just use free services, or watch the free tier on mixed tier sites, like YouTube. All I pay for is the low-income rate monthly cable internet service fee. I watch all the videos, TV, and movies I want. By searching around I am sometimes able to watch for free, new movies that are currently being shown for buy/rent at the major viewing sites. I occasionally have to put up with ads, but I grew up with ad-supported TV and radio, so I'm used to that. I also use a security extension on my browser, which filters out most of the ads. I also use an ad blocker extension, but some sites insist on you turning it off, so I turn it off, and the security extension is still able to screen out almost every ad, without alerting the sites involved.

A few months ago I had to upgrade my flip phone and moved up to a low priced, but good smartphone. I now watch videos, TV, and movies on that, too when I'm away from my home office. Unfortunately, I have to put up with a lot of commercials at some sites when I use my phone, but it's a trade-off. I get free programming, and they get to assault my eyeballs with frequent commercials. I do have an ad blocker on my phone, but it doesn't seem to do anything, in spite of having a good rating from other users. Guess I'll have to look for a better one.

By ditching regular cable TV or antenna TV, and using internet TV you can save money to help pay your other bills, and to go places for fun.

If you want to get away from the television you can still do that, even while having one to watch when you feel like it. It's your life. You get to choose what you do every day/night. I don't watch 24/7. I have health issues some of which keep me in the bathroom a lot, and then there are chores to do, too. Due to my other health issues, I can't get around well, so I seldom go out, but I am thinking of buying some sort of rack for my back patio, to keep plants on this summer. I'll need to put some netting over it all to keep the local cats away, tho.

I hope you are able to enjoy both internet TV, and doing more stuff away from the computer, too.

Williboss
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2020, 9:16 am

I have the same problem. Thanks for suggestions.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 10:31 am

I recently upgraded by TV streaming my moving a WiFi router right next to the TV set. And I put metal around the router so the router doesn't bother my neighbors WiFi so much by blocking the signal where I don't need WiFi.

Last edited by BTDT on 11 Jun 2020, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 1:00 pm

Congrats! I just use Hulu now so I can pick and chose what I watch. Most of the shows I watched when I had cable weren’t on until 9pm or later.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

JanePetersg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2020, 8:25 am

Never is too late dude, grats!