Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 12:40 am

I was having that problem too.
In my case, I think it might have been that my post was too long,
had too much emotional punctuation,
was partly written in CAPS,
anyways, I finally managed to post mine
but then got embarrassed by it so I deleted it.

Good luck posting what you want!

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2016, 12:55 am

thank you, well i hope this goes thru

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 1:22 am

Yes! The evil captcha is back and it's just as menacing as ever.

AWOW: before you post your message. (click the summit button.) Make sure that you select all the text that you type with <ctrl-a>. And then copy it with <ctrl-c>. So that if you fail a captcha and lose your post. All you have to do is paste it back with <ctrl-v>.

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jan 2016, 2:11 am

God I hate the blasted CAPTCHAs thankfully they have come out with easier versions for humans to pass them however.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 2:34 am

Welcome to the world of the WONDERFUL (no) service that is Cloudflare.

Fortunately, this mighty protector of the internet is dumber than a box of hats!

To bypass Cloudflare's braindead idiocy, if it's doing what I'm guessing it is:

When you make a post, Cloudflare tends to fire up, and when you get through it's dumb capcha, it brings up the posting screen except with your post gone. Deleted! Is this the issue you're running into?

If that's the case, all you have to do is hit "back" on your browser twice. The first time goes back to the previous capcha screen. The second time goes back to your original writing, which will still be there. This may not make sense, but just try not to think about it too hard. Then, you hit submit again, do another capcha, and because Cloudflare, it'll go through that time.

No reason to bother with copy/paste or constant repetition of the captchas. Yes, it's THAT easy to get past it. This is literally how I deal with it *every* time. It has yet to not work.

A pathetic service, really. I've seen it generate an endless litany of complaints on.... every single site I've ever been to that uses it. This site is no exception.

The really sad part? Captchas only exist to stop bots. That's literally their one and only function. But Cloudflare STOPS NONE OF THEM. As you might notice, the board routinely gets FLOODED by bots. And not like, cleverly designed ones that mask themselves as actual people. Instead they're the sort where even a braindead moron can tell that they're bots, because they fill the board with absolute gibberish. But Derpflare wont notice this. Instead, it'll just taunt/torment ACTUAL people, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I'll be honest, more than a few thousand times, I've been tempted to leave this site entirely and for good, just because of how ridiculously annoying it is. At this point, I *seriously* dont want to know why anyone uses this nightmare of a "service". The answer would only anger me.

EDIT: That method I mentioned? Did it just now to post this!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 2:40 am

The back button method has not worked several times for me. I have gone back and while the original quote is there my reply is GONE. Copy and paste is the only sure way.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 12:21 pm

Misery wrote:
When you make a post, Cloudflare tends to fire up, and when you get through it's dumb capcha, it brings up the posting screen except with your post gone. Deleted! Is this the issue you're running into?

If that's the case, all you have to do is hit "back" on your browser twice. The first time goes back to the previous capcha screen. The second time goes back to your original writing, which will still be there. This may not make sense, but just try not to think about it too hard. Then, you hit submit again, do another capcha, and because Cloudflare, it'll go through that time.

No it doesn't save your text. That why I said in a earlier post to copy your text into the clipboard, So if you did get your post deleted by a captcha. you can always paste it back from the clipboard.

BTW: I had a similar problem with getting my post deleted by failing a captcha and I was pissed! And here's a link to the old post some 3 years ago about it.
viewtopic.php?t=237013

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 6:06 pm

The behavior changes from time to time. Sometimes, I’ve been unable to post even after ten or more rounds of using the “back” browser function.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 8:53 pm

What I've noticed - almost unequivocally - it fails the first time.

I generally keep refreshing until I get a number and especially one where lines in the picture aren't likely to be perceived by the computer as [,],/,\,|, etc. etc.

Even there I type up a post, get the captcha, type one in that I think is simple enough to pass, get redirected to my post, at this point I know that no matter how many times or ways I type it in it will always come out wrong so I back up two screens - ie. back to the captcha and then back to my original post before I hit submit. I hit submit again - this time I get taken back to the captcha and for whatever reason it's more likely to work.

If there was one thing I really wish its that the system itself could read these captchas properly. So often you just have to cross your fingers, do your best, and hope the optical reading device agrees with your assessment of what's there.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 8:32 pm

Now it’s tougher, at least for me. No amount of back-and-forth seems to be enough to post a single sentence of pure text in the ”BANNED” game thread. No quotations, no formatting, no fancy stuff whatsoever.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 3:15 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
If there was one thing I really wish its that the system itself could read these captchas properly. So often you just have to cross your fingers, do your best, and hope the optical reading device agrees with your assessment of what's there.

Actually. all captcha challenges are created by hand. None of them are created by computer. In fact, they are tested by a computer to make sure that the computer can't read it. The whole idea behind captcha is to create a challenge that can easily be read by a human and not by a computer, so as to keep the spam bots at bay. If the computer can read a captcha, then it would defeat the whole perpose of having it.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 4:11 pm

I really can't read the letter ones at all for the most part. They are just too twisted. I have to keep trying until I get one that visually makes sense. Are we supposed to be able to read them?

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 4:20 pm

^I usually don't prefer numbers over letters but some of those twisted words can be too challenging to read. Quote box's seem to be the guaranteed trigger, which makes editing a post that contains quotes quite frustrating.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 4:38 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
Actually. all captcha challenges are created by hand. None of them are created by computer. In fact, they are tested by a computer to make sure that the computer can't read it. The whole idea behind captcha is to create a challenge that can easily be read by a human and not by a computer, so as to keep the spam bots at bay. If the computer can read a captcha, then it would defeat the whole perpose of having it.

What I meant by that is it seemed like a lot of them weren't done right - ie. you could put in exactly what's shown but it won't work, which raised the suspicion to me at least that lines and contours of what the numbers and letters are on were symbols , like /|\[] in the entry - stuff you'd never think of and technically the correct response value would be wrong because it would contain and only match to the right answer but with additional false/erroneous characters. I might be way off the mark on that, it's just part of what I thought was happening when right answers caused the screen to loop to another captcha.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 7:10 pm

I've been wondering why there's captcha to edit a post. Would people manually post something and then leave it to a bot to edit to something more spamful? Though I suppose it's easier to have it do that than put in an exception.

Also, where do all the pictures come from? Do Captcha employ people to go around taking pictures of house numbers from funny angles?

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.