Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2016, 11:17 pm

Glass Door is this site where people review jobs, describe the questions that appeared in their job interviews, and talk about the benefits they get from their jobs. To me, it seems too good to be true. What do people here make of this?

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 2:08 pm

I was curious about this site myself, so I went in and looked at the stuff about the company I worked for last. I was barely in management, like the lowest level there was, but that was high enough to know salary information and how the organizational structure went. And I was in on interviews for other departments in addition for directly hiring my own reports.

For my old company anyway, the salaries were completely accurate and the accounts of the environment also sounded accurate. I have inside information about another local company. Although the salary information may have been correct for the person reporting, it's supposedly 25K lower per year for another employee who works there doing the exact same thing. I would not be surprised if this other company has such a big variation in what they pay their workers.

But now I get spammed all the time from that site so I need to unsubscribe. I'm not sure real recruiters hire from the site. They might. It might be pulling the information through another site like Monster.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 2:15 pm

For the companies i've been at, it's accurate..people post what they make and thoughts about the company. The site would have no way of knowing random job titles companies come up with.

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2016, 11:27 pm

The company I work for mostly gets bad reviews, which is understandable. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the good reviews is something faked by our HR department.

SpaceAgeBushRanger wrote:
Glass Door is this site where people review jobs, describe the questions that appeared in their job interviews, and talk about the benefits they get from their jobs. To me, it seems too good to be true. What do people here make of this?

It seems nice and all, but I'm not sure what makes it too good to be true?

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 11:46 pm

I have checked the site quite a few times. I'd imagine that like many review sites, if you see a pattern it's probably fairly reliable. In other words, if there are only one or two reviews for a company, I wouldn't give it too much credit, but if there are 10-15 and they all trend in the same direction, they are probably accurate.

There Are Four Lights!

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2016, 9:04 pm

Glassdoor is one of the most accurate websites out there for this kind of information. It's the Wikipedia of the working world. Be that as it may, companies change over time, sometimes faster than the reviews and salary information can keep up with.
I have talked to others at my company about salary. One was hired at my level for $25k less and another for $8k more than the Glassdoor average. Clearly, you shouldn't rely on Glassdoor for senior and managerial positions, but it is accurate for entry level posts, where salaries are standardized.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 2:37 pm

carthago wrote:
Glassdoor is one of the most accurate websites out there for this kind of information. It's the Wikipedia of the working world. Be that as it may, companies change over time, sometimes faster than the reviews and salary information can keep up with.
I have talked to others at my company about salary. One was hired at my level for $25k less and another for $8k more than the Glassdoor average. Clearly, you shouldn't rely on Glassdoor for senior and managerial positions, but it is accurate for entry level posts, where salaries are standardized.

That's a good point. In my bottom level but still management position I saw all the salary levels and what it was possible to make in the different titles. So let's say you have a Junior Worker, Worker, Senior Worker, and Lead Worker in the Worker Department. Most people will be hired as a Worker, at 35,000, the base for that level. Base for Senior Worker was something like 46,000. So the range for Worker is 35,000-45,999. The only reason you would hire a "Junior Worker" is to justify paying them less or hiring a person with no degree. The range would be something like 25,000-34,999. The Lead position would be between Worker and Senior. So like 38,000-55,000. The Senior position would be between 46,000-57,000. The reason it would go higher than the Lead position is because managers typically get bonuses.

In another department, say, Laborer, the ranges do not have the Junior level and are 1.5x higher, although the employees are less educated and work fewer hours.

I made up all those numbers. I just wanted to show that ranges in job titles usually are not even and are often there to justify hiring a particular person who would typically be over- or underqualified. Sometimes the person was way worth it and sometimes we had a bad egg.

Jenine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2016, 1:13 am

From what I've seen, Glass Door seems to be an updated version of other job search sites like Monster, Career Builder, Indeed, Juju, etc. You type in the position you want and the city (especially if you're considering relocating), and it shows the results of which companies are supposedly hiring. Now, whether these places will actually consider interviewing you just by applying to their ad is beyond me. I haven't been on a job search site since like 2011/2012. One other thing to note is when you click on the description link for different companies, many of them will also have a rating.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 7:22 pm

I'm a fan of the site. I enjoy reviewing my employer(or past employers) and it's a resourceful site when looking up other companies. Similar to indeed but just as good.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."