Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 11:41 am

Yes, I like the different ways of asking questions.
Yes/No:
You are are not Chinese = Are you Chinese?
You are Chinese, ma= Are you Chinese?

And the other types just replace the answer with a question word.

Ta shi shei? = he/she is who = Who is he/she?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 11:46 am

My sister suffers from mild face blindness. I'm just the opposite -- I never forget a face!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 12:00 pm

When I first heard a description of face blindness, I thought it sounded bizarre and unimaginable. The example that was given in the first description I saw on video was of a woman who could not recognize her own family members. I don't have that problem.

On the other hand, I don't recognize many more casual acquaintances, even people I have met many times over a number of years. Often voices are more identifying for me than faces. Once I have a person ID'd, I recognize them for the duration of a conversation.

Prosopagnosia has varying degrees of severity. I don't know exactly where it ends. I do know that people are easily offended when you don't recognize their faces, even if you are friendly as soon as you do recognize them.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 12:17 pm

Adamantium wrote:
When I first heard a description of face blindness, I thought it sounded bizarre and unimaginable. The example that was given in the first description I saw on video was of a woman who could not recognize her own family members. I don't have that problem.

On the other hand, I don't recognize many more casual acquaintances, even people I have met many times over a number of years. Often voices are more identifying for me than faces. Once I have a person ID'd, I recognize them for the duration of a conversation.

Prosopagnosia has varying degrees of severity. I don't know exactly where it ends. I do know that people are easily offended when you don't recognize their faces, even if you are friendly as soon as you do recognize them.

I can generally recognize family members and really good friends (I think not seeing Mom at the airport was just because I was a bit stressed with the crowds). I've been thinking of telling people about the face blindness thing so they don't get annoyed.

I have troubles with celebrities under 40, too. I watched the ITV show The Fixer for three weeks thinking the star was Paddy Considine, until I finally realized it was Andrew Buchan. It took me years to work out the difference between Jude Law and James McAvoy.