Should I stop or continue my internship?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 9:35 am

I´ve been studying clinical psychology for some years now. When I started my masters in 2013 I was very afraid of finally doing an internship. I´ve always had doubts about what I wanted to become and what I was capable of. In 2014 I finally decided to start an internship-programme where I thought first year students communicative skills. I passed the internship with a sufficient grade, but I always felt very tense and fearful while doing the internship. I was scared to death to be teaching communicative skills to those students. During meetings with other teachers/trainers and our supervisors I wasn’t very present. I found it really scary to share my thoughts or opinions with the group members, so I hardly said anything. Eventually I did get a sufficient grade, probably because of the reports I wrote (those were pretty good), but I know teachers had trouble understanding my insecurity and the fact that I was quite withdrawn.

Because I didn’t like my First internship too well and I wanted to keep my options open for later, I started doing a second internship in december of this year in primary mental health care institution. I was really scared again, but I hoped that this would maybe suit me better. And also, I could get my first certificate in basic psychodiagnostic work, needed to eventually become a health care psychologist. I’ve been doing my internship there for several months now (4 x 8 hours a week), but it is not going well. I am struggling so much with myself. Nearly every activiteit or responsibility I have stresses me out; intakes, trainings/workshops, diagnostic research, interaction with colleagues. It feels like chaos in my mind and I have a lot of negative and fearful thoughts that stop me from doing everything I do. I feel so insecure. I really feel ‘stuck’, and I only see things going downhill. Every week and every day, the thought of going to my internship again makes me feel stressed. I even feel like crying the day before my internship-week starts. When I know that I have to go to my internship the next day, then I typically don’t sleep well. I find myself worrying, consciously or unconsciously about what I’ve done wrong and the responsibilities I have the next day. My body and mind feel tense. About a month ago a had a preliminary evaluation with my supervisor. They think I'm a nice girl, but I don’t function good enough and if I go on like this I will not pass my internship. Commenting on the preliminary evaluation, t I was told several things that needed to go better; take more initiative, better plan ahead, be more independent, ask for help more quickly, be less perfectionistic. I find it extremely difficult to follow the planning ... many (especially written) tasks I don’t finish in time, according to my supervisor because I'm a perfectionist. I know I should quit a task, but I often go by because I am afraid that otherwise I am not prepared well enough or it is simply not good enough.
Also, I am not mastering the intakes while I’ve been practicing for several months now ... apparently I don’t ask the right questions in order to rapidly enough asses the complaints and type of complaints. I am not good enough at ‘funneling’ as it where. While other interns would already have started doing treatments, I am not good enough at intakes yet to be doing treatments. When it comes to trainings and workshops; during the conduct of that training I feel very insecure standing in front of the group. In addition, I feel very uncomfortable when colleagues supervise my sessions (individual or training)(which until now so is the case, because I am not good enough to be doing them by my self). I feel so tense when I am being supervised and watch that a get some kind of black out where I don’t function as well anymore. Also, I find making contact with colleagues (6 psychologists, further indirect colleagues) very stressful and difficult. I am very conscious of myself, whether my behavior is "professional" or not, what they think of me, and I therefore find it difficult to respond spontaneously. In line with this, I find it difficult to call out for help when I cannot solve something, because I do not know when to call for help and also I need to find that person at the right time.
My colleagues are all quite busy. I also find the contact with them at all makes me feel very tense because I am always so always afraid what they think of me, or that they will get angry at me if I have a problem (you had earlier on should solve). I always feel that I am lacking. It feels to me like a lot of pressure and requirements that I must fulfill in order to pass my internship. The more responsibilities and / or expectations come with it, the more I feel pressured, which causes me to feel stress and worry and the chaos in my head.

Last week I had a conversation with my supervisor. I then honestly told him I felt my internship was not going too well. He agreed with that, had the same ideas, and saw that indeed I was struggling a lot. Again, he asked me the question of what I needed for them to feel comfortable, to be function better and to actually start "learning" ... but I just can’t find the answer to that question. It feels like something I need to fix within myself but I cannot solve. I feel so stupid that I can’t answer that question. Then we talked about the fact that I am at a disadvantage here because I am all alone in this internship and they (colleagues) are all just very busy. The former intern departed prematurely. That way I have no ‘mate’ that I can ask about things, who is in the same position, and with whom I can share my problems. That just makes such a big difference for me. Unfortunately, this is what it is. The same goes for the guidance/supervision they can offer me; I myself will really have to ring the bell when I have a problem. For them it would be simply to busy to always take me by the hand. I understand this, but I just feel very alone in this whole thing. Kind of like a small fish in a huge pond.

I think that if I chose an internship at a different place, with more favorable circumstances, that I might have felt better and also less anxious, so my learning / my performance would have been way better. Unfortunately, there is no other way, because I have chosen this internship, and changing is no longer possible. I am now facing the choice of quitting or continuing the internship. I am having extreme doubts. On the one hand, I would of course like to have my first certificate in basic psycho diagnostic work so that I can later eventually become a professional health care psychologist. On the other hand, I just feel awful about going to my internship every day. I do not know whether I will succeed or pass my internship anyway, and I feel miserable when I'm there. My emotions speak; stop, get out of here, you feel horrible, stress, this is hell. But I am so afraid that I will later regret quitting or not making more effort to pass the internship. A friend says that it is in fact is already clear that I should better stop, as it takes me so much mental energy. My boyfriend however says it’s better to be in hell another 5 months and get the certificate, instead of not making it and eventually later regretting that I didn’t pass. Which makes me very depressed and pressured because then I think: yes, that’s true. Any regrets that I'm going to get later… they are my greatest fear. Furthermore, I feel like I disappoint people if I stop or don’t pass the internship. My parents, who pay a lot of money for my education, and are very proud of their clever and educated daughter... my boyfriend, who has a full-time job (college / university) which he is really good at, and which suits his education.

I still have no diagnosis, so I do not know if my troubles are caused by autism. The trajectory for a diagnosis won’t start until March, so until that time I don’t know why this internship feels as heavy as it does.

I have extreme doubt about this and I don’t know what to do anymore. At the same time I am very much aware that I myself must make the decision.

I’ve been thinking about this almost every day… even now on the weekend. I am so scared of the future, of not finding a job, about not being able to function in society. Without diagnosis but certainly with a diagnosis as well.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Any ideas or thoughts?

Love

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 9:45 am

I'm thinking: taking a semester break from it all, especially if you don't lose your place in the program.

You could, then,!hink about what you just said, and come up with solutions while detached from the pressure-inducing situation.

Hopefully, you could keep in contact with your advisor during this time.

Please don't give up now....you've gone this far.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 10:03 am

I'd stick out the 5 months of hell.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 10:33 am

You've already survived one, so there is that. Also in your country is there any benefit to being diagnosed? In mine there is not, and I kinda regret it being on my permanent record. If there is an option to keep the result private you may just get diagnosed for your own peace of mind.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 12:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm thinking: taking a semester break from it all, especially if you don't lose your place in the program.

You could, then,!hink about what you just said, and come up with solutions while detached from the pressure-inducing situation.

Hopefully, you could keep in contact with your advisor during this time.

Please don't give up now....you've gone this far.

I can't do that I'm afraid... :( Principally one can only take 2 years to complete a masters degree. I already asked for a year of postphonement to the board of examiners so that I could do this 2nd internship. Also, students that started by the year of 2014 aren't even allowed to do 2 internships at all. So I am already in some sort of priviledged position to be able to be doing another internship. So I can't just take some kind of semester break.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 12:14 pm

kirayng wrote:
You've already survived one, so there is that. Also in your country is there any benefit to being diagnosed? In mine there is not, and I kinda regret it being on my permanent record. If there is an option to keep the result private you may just get diagnosed for your own peace of mind.

Yeah, I survived one that was absolutely horrible.. definitely not as anxiety inducing is this one though. This is like a level up or something. There are so many things that I would have to level op if I were to pass the interview. I would certainly have to improve my intake skills which takes a lot of practice, but the thing is that the next intern is arriving in february. My supervisor then told me that she would then be taking part in the intakes (which logically makes it impossible for me to take part in the intakes).
In my country there is a benefit to getting diagnosed... and it won't be on my permanent record.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 1:48 pm

Would a diagnosis enable to obtain some sort of accommodations which might enable you to feel less anxiety within your internship?

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 2:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Would a diagnosis enable to obtain some sort of accommodations which might enable you to feel less anxiety within your internship?

Nope, just a bit more inner peace

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 4:33 pm

I hope you remain in the program, Cafe Au Lait.

How is it going with the boyfriend?

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 4:45 am

I hope so too, really. It's just I need space but I can't get it!! :( :(

My boyfriend and I are OK. I get the feeling that the last couple of months he hasn't been feeling so good about me, because I have been feeling very stressed.