Do I have Aspergers/really could do with a friend.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

kenneth1973
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jan 2016, 4:44 am

Hi, I'm Kenny,aged 42. I believe that I have Aspergers, Ive done an online test from the Aspergers test site and the result from that would suggest that I've got Aspergers. My doctor insists that I've got Social Anxiety Disorder, I've asked to be referred for a proper test/diagnosis but my doctor dissmisses tha, tried another doctor and they were exactly the same. I find it extremely difficult to interact with people although I could really do with a few understanding friends. Joined twitter as a means of speaking to people but its pretty daunting and few people want to speak to me.

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 4:59 am

Hello, welcome to WP. Do you have aspergers? I would give it a definite "maybe." :) Some on this forum find that having a diagnosis from a dr is helpful to them; others are not officially diagnosed but based on their symptoms and what they see and hear from those around them, they are more or less self-diagnosed and don't pursue further testing for various reasons.

I am one of the latter group. I find that a diagnosis on paper is not going to be terribly helpful to me, so I have never gone through the testing process; but based on my symptoms, i am very sure i have aspergers or high functioning autism. Looking at genetics is also helpful sometimes; my family has a high incidence of aspergers, depression, bipolar disorder and other mental illnesses. I have 3 children, one of whom is diagnosed on the spectrum. My husband is also very likely on the autism spectrum somewhere although he too has not been diagnosed.

It is helpful to find drs who are knowledgeable about aspergers; they tend to be more helpful. But in my opinion, not totally necessary to have an official diagnosis. Even after my son was officially diagnosed, my autism education was driven by my own desire to understand my child. Doctors offered very little in the way of resources or education. There is a lot of good information on this forum; and i have learned a lot by reading conversations of those with aspergers/autism.

and his pride won't let him
do things to make you think he's right."
-Ed Bruce

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 5:02 am

And by the way, i find that a social media format such as facebook or twitter does not help me feel more connected. It just accentuates my isolation. My brain is not put together in one or two-sentence increments. As you can see from my long posts.

and his pride won't let him
do things to make you think he's right."
-Ed Bruce

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2016, 6:00 am

Hi Kenny,

Welcome to WP. I'm pretty new here too but so far it's been quite a friendly supportive place to be. I struggle to maintain friendships, so I get lonely too.
All the best,
Jo

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 9:31 am

Do you you have Aspergers or Social Anxiety Disorder? I don't know. I do know that Aspergers is a lot more then bieng socially anxious and awkward. I am not implying that "just" Social Anxiety disorder is not distressing and impairing.

What is Aspergers? by Dr. Tony Attwood

A lot of clinitions are not well versed in how Aspergers presents in Adults and will thus misdiagnose them.

At times what seems like social anxiety caused by clueless is really the result of sensory sensitivities and "theory of mind" issues.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 12 Jan 2016, 9:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Pergerlady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2016, 9:37 am

Well, Kenny, I have a good understanding of how you feel. I myself have Aspergers, and I was ostracized for it up until I started going to a school for children on the spectrum. I've graduated from that school, so right now, I don't have many friends I see regularly. I suppose your doctors are right, but either way, it can be daunting to meet new people. I'm here if you want to talk to me.
~Gina

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 10:16 pm

Western medical doctors like to dismiss and ignore their patients, it's what they do best. In order to bypass this, find a private psychologist who specializes in diagnosing adults with autism, that way you don't need a referral and don't have to give a damn what your doctor thinks =)

"It's just social anxiety" was also one of the excuses a psychiatrist once told me when I suggested autism/asperger's. Turns out she was wrong, and I was right, well what a shock *sarcasm*. While I do have social anxiety, the problems I was discussing in the appointment with her were more than just social anxiety, but she did what she knew best, dismissed/ignored me. Thankfully I just used the advice I listed above and found a private psychologist to do the assessment.

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2016, 11:10 pm

Noca wrote:
Western medical doctors like to dismiss and ignore their patients, it's what they do best. In order to bypass this, find a private psychologist who specializes in diagnosing adults with autism, that way you don't need a referral and don't have to give a damn what your doctor thinks =)

"It's just social anxiety" was also one of the excuses a psychiatrist once told me when I suggested autism/asperger's. Turns out she was wrong, and I was right, well what a shock *sarcasm*. While I do have social anxiety, the problems I was discussing in the appointment with her were more than just social anxiety, but she did what she knew best, dismissed/ignored me. Thankfully I just used the advice I listed above and found a private psychologist to do the assessment.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 11:33 pm

It could be social anxiety. You'll have to see if you have other symptoms that would indicate Asperger's.

People with social anxiety often know how to behave in a social situation but are afraid. Or they may only be socially awkward without other impairments.

Some symptoms of Asperger's (not everyone has all of these):

1. Inability to understand and/or use facial expressions, tone of voice, or body language.
2. Inability to naturally learn appropriate social behaviors, and inability to understand social cues
3. Problems with executive functioning
4. Hypersensitivity or hyposensitivity to stimuli
5. Stimming behaviors
6. Obsessive and/or compulsive behaviors and thoughts
7. Poor motor control
8. Logical thinking
9. Black and white thinking
10. Difficulty in regulating emotions
11. Problems with empathy

There's more but that's all I can think of now.

Jozie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2016, 12:16 am

Hi Kenny. I understand your frustration, I am sick of being told that I'm quirky and have social anxiety and then given antidepressants. Its difficult to find a health professional who knows anything about high functioning autism in adults, I always feel like I know more about it than the doctor or psychologist. Its like others have said though, if you don't need a diagnosis don't worry about it. I really think the biggest problem aspies have is other people and a lack of self-acceptance. And as for twitter - its a tedious bunch of junk forget about it. What are your interests? I'm a liitle fixated on Scotland right now as a great place to live because there are not a lot of people and I would never get sunburnt.