Do all people become angry when using reason

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 10:37 am

With my mother when we are having a dispute whenever I reason with her and I clearly am correct she becomes angry. There isn't any arguing with logic.

I have noticed this a few other times with other people. Is this normal or are these people the exception?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 10:50 am

How do you know that you're correct?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 7:19 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Seconded.

But even if you are 100% correct from every possible point of view, there will still be people who will hate you for it - not because you are right and they are wrong, but because they know that they can't manipulate you into doing what they want.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 7:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Seconded.

But even if you are 100% correct from every possible point of view, there will still be people who will hate you for it - not because you are right and they are wrong, but because they know that they can't manipulate you into doing what they want.

And other times because "i'm right and you're wrong nyah nyah" can be obnoxious. The same as a superior attitude can be when one adopts it because they are (or believe they are) correct about something. And the same as one being correct..technically...but it being beside the point of the overall conversation can be quite frustrating.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 7:35 pm

KevinLA wrote:
With my mother when we are having a dispute whenever I reason with her and I clearly am correct she becomes angry. There isn't any arguing with logic.

I have noticed this a few other times with other people. Is this normal or are these people the exception?

So, you don't have any negative emotional response when YOU are proven to be wrong in an argument? Sometimes it bruises people's egos to be bested in an argument, or makes them feel humiliated for being stupid, and they feel cranky about it. "Logic" doesn't make the feelings any better.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 12:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Seconded.

I was also thinking the same thing. I let the other person be right. It works every time.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 2:57 am

In pure, formal logic the best argument wins. Humans don't generally think in this way though, even if they're autistic. So an actually persuasive argument uses both reason and emotion to win people over.

An argument from emotion is weak. An argument from logic is unpersuasive. Make them work together and you're in a much better position.